5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

First build on the 'Vette Killer. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
corvette killer
1st Gear Member

Default First build on the 'Vette Killer. PICS

ok, here is the basic rundown of what is going on. 5.0 HO out of 89 GT Mustang Fresh rebuild only has about 8 hours of run time going into my 87 GT Vert

stock E7 heads, with 3 angle valvejob and new valve stem seals (for now, building GT40P's but will have to wait till next month)
new rings rod berings, main berings, and cam berings, all new freeze plugs
new high volume meloden oil pump
new harmonic balancer, new 9:1 pistons
Trick Flow Stage 1 Camshaft

cam specs, which are 499/510 lift intake/exhaust with 1.60 ratio rocker arms...it has stock rockers ....duration is 275/279*. it has very little run time a total of about 8 hours barely broken in has new prothane motor mounts. has stock TRW Forged crank and rods, Hyperutectic Speed pro 9:1 compression pistons, no smog pump and the ports for it have been blocked off at the back of the heads. new oil pump and pickup, motor is painted new ford grey.

i have 65mm TB
19lbs injectors
GT40p intakes
BBK Shortys

i know its not a "Vette Killer yet, but this is just going in for now. im going to start all the suspension and drivetrain work while this motor is in. when that is done, plan on building a 331 Stroker, and hopefully have it all together by this time next year.

but im pullin the old motor and droppin the new one in this weekend so ill post pics as i go. and ill also try to get some pics of the new motor on here soon. let me know what you think guys. hope you enjoy

l l l
What would be best to clean this up?? VVV

LOTS MORE PICS TO COME!!!

Last edited by corvette killer; 02-23-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

really not trying to sound like a dick or anything... but, to me, it seems as though you are wasting ALOT of money
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM
corvette killer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
really not trying to sound like a dick or anything... but, to me, it seems as though you are wasting ALOT of money

please explain what you mean. this is my first mustang build and all help is appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

being a vette killer is a broad term..meaning as to which vette you anticipate killing???.....IMO there are to many vettes out there to go after and all at different levels......and please post in appropriate sections, the 5.0 tec section is not a place for such threads....Gen disc is
Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

your gonna need some nasty heads to run with a c6 might be able to get away with a N/A motor with a c5 non z06.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Budget build FTW!!

347 would be a better build than a 331 IMO. Please tell me you weren't planning on putting this H/C/I on that build.

Why don't you wait until next month and put the GT40ps on instead of those crapy E7s? That intake elbow that came off the upper plenum on the 40 intake isn't needed.

DO NOT put in a H/V oil pump!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
corvette killer
1st Gear Member

the name Corvette Killer came from my dad. when i was young he took me to alot of drag races and around our area was a 92 mustang with a 351 (idk his specs bc i was too young) that called himself the Vette Runner, and had it across his wind shield. he was known for outrunning corvettes and would run anything that would line up beside him and most times he would win. when i was car shopping, my dad was with me and the car reminded him of the old mustang we used to watch run. and i figured i would call my project the Corvette Killer. i dont plan on running JUST vettes, but ive loved Ford all my life and have always enjoyed the heated rivalry with Chevy. thought the name kinda fit
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
corvette killer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
Budget build FTW!!

347 would be a better build than a 331 IMO. Please tell me you weren't planning on putting this H/C/I on that build.

Why don't you wait until next month and put the GT40ps on instead of those crapy E7s? That intake elbow that came off the upper plenum on the 40 intake isn't needed.

DO NOT put in a H/V oil pump!
i was plannin on building a 347 but ive helped way too many of my buddys drop one in, just to turn around a month later to help them pull it bc they've cracked the block. i think goin to 347 just takes away too much of the block integrity. and hell no this H/C/I wont be going on my 331.

bc ive had the car sitting for over 3 months and this weekend is really the only weekend i have off for awhile. and im really needin my car running again to use as my DD. ive been using my buddy's truck, but he needs it back. i have to shop the car next month anyway to put a new tranny in so ill just do it then.

wats wrong with the H/V pump?

Last edited by corvette killer; 02-23-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by corvette killer
the name Corvette Killer came from my dad. when i was young he took me to alot of drag races and around our area was a 92 mustang with a 351 (idk his specs bc i was too young) that called himself the Vette Runner, and had it across his wind shield. he was known for outrunning corvettes and would run anything that would line up beside him and most times he would win. when i was car shopping, my dad was with me and the car reminded him of the old mustang we used to watch run. and i figured i would call my project the Corvette Killer. i dont plan on running JUST vettes, but ive loved Ford all my life and have always enjoyed the heated rivalry with Chevy. thought the name kinda fit
There was a chick that had a gen 1 vette I forget her name but on the back bumper of her car she had pin striping that said, "If you beat me you can eat me" pretty hot chick too.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Even with a 331 stroker kit you'd still have to bore the block. Why would you use a stock block with a stroker build? (they must have built some pretty amazing 347s)

Nothing is wrong with a h/v pump. You don't need it. Save your money there.

Quick Reply: First build on the 'Vette Killer. PICS