5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

So is this true about what they say

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Default So is this true about what they say

I got new tires for my car. I started noticing uneven wear on my tires. It took me like 8 months to get an alignment for some reason and at the time the wear was noticeable. The wear was on the outer should of the two front tires. Well, when i got my alignment, I thought that would solve everything and stop the uneven wear. So is it true when a tire has uneven wear before an alignment, it will still wear unevenly? Or is this just bs and the tire company is just trying to sell me tires?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 AM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

I've heard the same thing and have always wandered if it's true or not. It makes sense to me for it to continue to wear unevenly. But just because it makes sense to me doesn't make it true lol.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

IMO a car should only be aligned right after a new set of tires has been put on, that way the machine isn't getting any false readings because the tires are worn.

I'm a carpenter and look at it like trying to level a post with a bad curve in it... it's never going to be right. Start with a straight post and leveling it is easy.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

havent heard of that, but Im sure a good tire roast will fix it right up
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

If u run them over/under inflated u can mess up how they wear too. But u might as well jus go get new tires and save thos for some fun now
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

alignment machine lines up by using the wheels not the tires, the wear you have on the tires will change after the alignment, best thing to do is rotate your rears to the front if they're any good.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:12 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

I figured my tires would wear evenly once i got the alignment but instead of getting better, the tires wore a lot worse on the shoulders. the issue with rotating my tires is that they are staggard
Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19stang88
I got new tires for my car. I started noticing uneven wear on my tires. It took me like 8 months to get an alignment for some reason and at the time the wear was noticeable. The wear was on the outer should of the two front tires. Well, when i got my alignment, I thought that would solve everything and stop the uneven wear. So is it true when a tire has uneven wear before an alignment, it will still wear unevenly? Or is this just bs and the tire company is just trying to sell me tires?
There is no answer to this. It just depends on what made it wear out in the first place and what was done to correct it.

First of all. For a tire to wear out it's outside shoulder. The front end is totally set up wrong. Slight wear in the inside edge, meaning the edge closer to the middle of the car is normal. It's from neagative camber and most cars have a bit of negative camber. If you look at the front of the car, neg camber is the top of the tires tilted in.

Another problem I see here is you had it aligned. Truth is there is not much to align on these cars. Most adjustments are, not adjustable. So if something is out, there is probably a worn component or something is bend.

Post your alignment settings.

A tire will wear according to it's present alignment. I you wear the outer edge because you have positive camber. We place those tires on my car, which has negative camber. The outer will stop wearing and I'll wear out the inners.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
alignment machine lines up by using the wheels not the tires, the wear you have on the tires will change after the alignment, best thing to do is rotate your rears to the front if they're any good.
the tires do still figure into the camber, which can cause wear issues.

If a car ges new tires, and doesnt get aligned. the tires will take a "set" and wear the way the car is riding on them. If you then align the car, there is no guarantee that the tires will wear properly, because they have already worn improperly. If you align a car that has old tires on it, then replace the tires and recheck the alignment. I can guarantee you that it will be off.

How do I know all of this?

I've been doing it for a good amount of time now.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

So you're saying even if i get new tires it will never wear properly? Is there a solution?

Quick Reply: So is this true about what they say