5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Head/cam upgrades on a carbed, Flat tappet 302

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 AM
84'pony

Default Head/cam upgrades on a carbed, Flat tappet 302

Looking for a little bolt on power cheap. (just like everyone else)

Im currently running a 1984 5.0 with MSD, BBK longtubes and H-pipe, Holley 600CFM with spacer, smog and A/C delete. She moves, but not like I want it too. Im finally getting some cash together to spend on the fox but with so many options i wanted to get some oppinions...

Heads...I wanna run cast heads strictly for the reliability and price. This is my daily driver....No race car but I want it to have some get up when I need it too.

289 Heads????
Anyone? I know some modifications must be done for steam holes but with the increase in compression is it worth it? I belive the ports are slightly smaller but the increase in compression compensates..

GT40's????
Better than the 289 option? Everyone knows the Ford GT40's are a nice cheap head solution for the mild 5.0....But will the GT40's or GT40P's run on a carburated, flat tappet motor? Will I have clearence? Different push rods? Rockers? ect?....Would it be easier to convert to a roller? I do have a roller top end off an 86EFI should I consider swaping them?

Just looking for a little insight. Any tips, knowlage or techniques on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

wrong section
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 PM
84'pony

Sorry!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

how much get up are you looking for??
Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
84'pony

Well im just looking for a little extra, I figure im running just shy of 200 rwhp (Stock of this year was 175)

Im looking for somthing more along the lines of 250-300. I plan on doing heads and cam, but there is just so many options.

I dont know if it would be worth it to convert to roller lifters? Or what heads are compatable with my flat tappet, carbed setup?

Like I said, I have been toying around with the thought of the 289 heads, with a little machine work, OR find some GT40's and just go that route.

Any suggestions? Im not interested in Juicing or boosting, all motor. Looking to see what the best head/cam combination for my application. Keep in mind, Id like to stay with cast heads and this is a full summer daily driver.

Anyone done either head setup on their carbed 5.0? Any insight?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

This section is non tech right? So is asking for advice on an engine combination the same as asking how to fix something? Or by non tech does that mean nothing related to tech stuff at all? In either case, I mean no disrespect by posting this...OP There are a lot of economy upgrades you can find on auction type websites. If you're doing your own work then that's really where you'll save money I think. I'm about to swap a 96 Mark VIII for an 86 Mustang GT and I'm gonna be looking for cheap initial upgrades just until I get my 393 stroker ready...!! You can also check the classifieds section on this site...!!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
84'pony

Well....It was in the tech section....and it got moved here.... I didnt post it here. All im looking for is a little advice not how to fix my car. Im sorry if its being placed in the wrong places, but like I said, I didnt put it here.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm not all that up on the push rod engines but I think I'm gonna do the Cobra top end kit just as a little power boost until I get the stroker ready...you could even do a supercharger kit. They go for like 1200-1500 bucks on ebay.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

im fairly close to you and i have some fully decked out 289 heads for sale. ported, bowl blend, larger valves 1.94 1.6 valves, decked surface 50cc chamber, tapped screw in studs, guideplates and included springs.

all ready to bolt up less than 1k miles on them. PM if interested.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 84'pony
Well im just looking for a little extra, I figure im running just shy of 200 rwhp (Stock of this year was 175)

Im looking for somthing more along the lines of 250-300. I plan on doing heads and cam, but there is just so many options.

I dont know if it would be worth it to convert to roller lifters? Or what heads are compatable with my flat tappet, carbed setup?

Like I said, I have been toying around with the thought of the 289 heads, with a little machine work, OR find some GT40's and just go that route.

Any suggestions? Im not interested in Juicing or boosting, all motor. Looking to see what the best head/cam combination for my application. Keep in mind, Id like to stay with cast heads and this is a full summer daily driver.

Anyone done either head setup on their carbed 5.0? Any insight?

Thanks in advance!
if 250-300 is all you want, in my 66 in my sig, it was a 74-302 flat tappet block with 2 valve relief forged pistons and it had 69 351 heads with a 1.94/1.50 chevy valve set up, an rpm air gap intake, 650 dp carb some long tube headers, and an old NEW old stock crane fireball flat tappet cam .500/.500 lift , and it ran low 13's on street tires at 104 mph, my guess is it had 260-270 rwhp.......I didn't have much invested in the whole set up and was put together with off the shelf parts. for what it was it was a decent little street runner

Quick Reply: Head/cam upgrades on a carbed, Flat tappet 302