Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Naka50Knocks

Default Newly Purchased 91' LX 5.0. Need Advice! Resto Pt. 1.

Click the image to open in full size.

I purchased my white fox body 91' Mustang LX 5.0 mid January. After a 70 mile drive home it ran perfectly fine. I knew it needed some attention to the steering (Rack & Pinion), a headliner, a door handle, stereo and some other nick knack stuff but nothing big. I went ahead and showed the motor love at first and threw money in for a tune up, rack & pinion, wires, hoses, plugs and all the basics that i could do if i had more time. I even had the tranny service because i started to notice that when cold, the "AOD" had trouble getting into first.

I had my mechanic service the tranny with a filter kit... After all this was done as i was cruising around i decided to hop on the freeway. 1st Gear... LOVELY... 2nd Gear... Ok I feel That Pull... 3rd Gear... WHOA WHOA WHOA 45 MPH & IM TACKING OUT! As you can beilieve i took the car right back. After a couple of days my mechanic suggested a rebuild. What do you suggest i do? Its an automatic and ive looked at new and rebuilt. He quoted me 1600$! What do you think mustang fam?

Click the image to open in full size.

P.S. Parked it until i can get the tranny done in April and during mid run the car just died. Has a new battery. Alternator maybe? What are the first mods and things i should complete and look over during tranny time???
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by Naka50Knocks; 02-23-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Incorrect term
Naka50Knocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Cobra
Collin Castaneda

Buy a new transmission. Rebuilds are costly and tranny shops are sketchy.

Moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1993 Ford Mustang

rebuild it yourself, they are actually pretty easy if you research it!!
Kooks custom headers-2"primes-4"collectors
Ysi Cog driven-10 pounds
Blow Thru being installed
etc...
etc...
etc...
Blown408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '86 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naka50Knocks View Post

I purchased my white fox body 91' Mustang LX 5.0 mid January. After a 70 mile drive home it ran perfectly fine. I knew it needed some attention to the steering (Rack & Pinion), a headliner, a door handle, stereo and some other nick knack stuff but nothing big. I went ahead and showed the motor love at first and threw money in for a tune up, rack & pinion, wires, hoses, plugs and all the basics that i could do if i had more time. I even had the tranny service because i started to notice that when cold, the T-5 had trouble getting into first.

I had my mechanic service the tranny with a filter kit... After all this was done as i was cruising around i decided to hop on the freeway. 1st Gear... LOVELY... 2nd Gear... Ok I feel That Pull... 3rd Gear... WHOA WHOA WHOA 45 MPH & IM TACKING OUT! As you can beilieve i took the car right back. After a couple of days my mechanic suggested a rebuild. What do you suggest i do? Its an automatic and ive looked at new and rebuilt. He quoted me 1600$! What do you think mustang fam?
T-5s are manual transmissions...

Mods: Bfg Traction T/As || Front sway bar || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius

86 5.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1993 Ford Mustang

nice catch... I would actually get a second opinion on it though before you decide to spend any money. Does it grab any gears at all? Or is it just one gear it is slipping? Could be a number of things with that T5!!
Kooks custom headers-2"primes-4"collectors
Ysi Cog driven-10 pounds
Blow Thru being installed
etc...
etc...
etc...
Blown408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '86 Mustang GT

hell I dont even know what happened as his explanation is atrocious...

I think he's saying the mechanic quoted him $1600 to put in an auto to replace a T5?

Mods: Bfg Traction T/As || Front sway bar || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius

86 5.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Shelty429
Send a message via AIM to Shelty

t-5s dont have filters... they are a sealed unit... if you have a manual, you could have a bad clutch... when clutches are shot they slip...

agreed, the OP doesnt even know whats going on

and are you 100% sure the tranny is shot? take it to another shop for a second opinion

1966 Chevy Bel Air wagon. 700r4, hedman hedders, and other stuff

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.-company car with 1/4 million miles on the clock

'91 5.0 5-speed-- sold :-(
Shelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1987 Ford Mustang GT

T-5=manual.
AOD=automatic...
Dj_Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
griffen"chancho"ponce

Vehicle: 1993 ford mustang

for the price you can rebuild it, itll only cost a couple hundred more to buy a new one or a slightly better trans, what ever fits in your price range, its your choice
griffen"chancho"ponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1993 mustang gt / 2011 mustang v6

Looking at that service check list he wants you to pay his mortgage for the month...lol.........Just get repaired what need to be fixed U have a auto trans looking at that check sheet?

[308,GT40 Heads,Cobra upper/lower Intakes,Accufab 70mm TB,1.7 Crane Rockers,255 Walbro,75mm 19lbs MAF,BBK Shorty Headers,High Flow Cats,Flowmaster 40's,3.55 Gears,Aluminum D/S,Tokico shocks/struts,MM Subframe Connectors.]
9redfox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
5.0, 5.0 transmission, 50, 91, buy, good, gt, lx, mods, mustang, mustang lx, new, price, rebuild, resto, restoration, transmission