5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Purchased a 1990 Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Default Purchased a 1990 Mustang 5.0

Like the title says, I just purchased or rather was given a nice 1990 Mustang LX convert 5.0. Now I need to decide what to do with it. The car is not in bad shape, needs a new top, tires and some work under the hood. From what I can see, a water pump, fan clutch, themorstat and tune up. The biggest problem first is it is over heating. The guy put a new radiator on it but I can see water leaking from the water pump. From what I can see, it is coming from a hole on the bottom (whats that for anyway).

Anyway, my thoughts, do I put money into it and keep it? Do I sale it as is and hope for the best? Do I put money into it and then sale it for a small profit?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:21 PM
stangmanmike33

replace the water pump, thermostat, and you should be fine. mostly gonna cost you about 65 bucks maybe
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

just replace what needs to be replaced, there is an abundance of used cars out there and now, "economy" wise, may not be the best time to sell it. You also may try fixing it up, as I'm sure a lot of other little things are slipping with a 20yr old car and to modify this type is FAR CHEAPER than any other model.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

So far I removed the thermostat, water pump and fan clutch. You are correct, it wasn't that bad in price, with oil filter, oil, spark plugs, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and coolant...it was less than 150 or so. I think I am going to keep it. I am having to much fun working on it with my wife. I was surprised that she wanted to help.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 PM
slowcoupe

good choice in keeping her. The 5.0 are wonderful cars to learn on. They are fairly simple as far as repairs go in comparison to other models. They are very mod friendly and aftermarket parts can be found for cheap just about anywhere.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Enjoy that 25th year anniversary vert. Post pics if you can. Don't forget to change out the radiator cap also. I had that problem when I first got my LX.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Thank you Texas Tanker. Just curious...what does the radiator cap have to do with it. I realize it hold the pressure in but is there more to it?

Thanks for the heads up!!!!

I'll get pics up here soon. I want before and after pics...I plan on doing a bunch to it here soon.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

The little hole at the top and bottom of the water pump leaks when the pump is toast. It's probably a seal or the bearings are bad. When it leaks it LEAKS...Not just condensation or anything. I just changed mine over the winter and you'll see that it leaves coolant everywhere you park. heh

Make sure the new gasket you get for it when you replace it fits exactly for the pump and mating to the block. Also make sure that you clean off all the old gasket, cuz if you don't get all that crud off you won't get a good seal and you'll have to take everything off again.

Good luck and congrats on the mustang!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 AM
90mustangkid
1st Gear Member

To answer your question about the radiator cap, yes it does hold the pressure but the reason behind this is basically the pressurization raises the boiling point temperature, preventing the water and antifreeze from boiling. Each cap has a relief valve that opens when pressure is too high, which allows pressure to escape through the overflow hose.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Okay. I will get a new rad. cap then. Cheap and better safe than sorry.
Anyway, here are some pics....these are the before pics.

Quick Reply: Purchased a 1990 Mustang 5.0