5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Roof replacement 1992 hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
bill h

Default Roof replacement 1992 hatchback

Does anyone have any advice regarding roof replacement? All pillars are fine but the roof is crushed right down the middle. Windshield and rear glass also gone with hood and hatch and minor cowl damage. I have replaced floors and sills but never a roof. Where does it need to be braced?

Thank you. This is my first post.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Likely better off asking on a body forum, or maybe making friends with a local body guy who can come by and take a look at it. Roof is very structural and will need to be done correctly, and perfectly. If you have plans to have this car make any sort of power, the roof will tweak quickly if not done right.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I would add bracing just below where the roof is spot welded on across the windshield, the rear window and both doors....Don't forget the quarter windows either.....

well there are 2 ways I could see it being done...

basically a square brace, windshield, rear window and then connecting the 2 while attaching the b pillars

OR windshield and rear window then cross bracing making a X

Which is best, not exactly sure but I would probably do the crossbracing....

BUT before I did any of that I would at least get some weld in full length subframe connectors installed.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Push the roof back up best you can then start drilling the spot welds around the outer part of the skin then start knocking the skin lose with a flat blade the outer part really is just a skin it is the underlying braces that are the strength. pics. would also help here then once the roof is off fix or replace the roof bows that need to be worked. the roof will be welded all the way around and at the tops of the quarters and and at the top of the pillars make sure when you put it back on that is square and everything fits like it should then start tacking it in place it is really not that hard but it is lots of work but then again I am a body man. Now if any thing structural is bent then that is whole other ball game.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
bill h

Originally Posted by uedlose
Push the roof back up best you can then start drilling the spot welds around the outer part of the skin then start knocking the skin lose with a flat blade the outer part really is just a skin it is the underlying braces that are the strength. pics. would also help here then once the roof is off fix or replace the roof bows that need to be worked. the roof will be welded all the way around and at the tops of the quarters and and at the top of the pillars make sure when you put it back on that is square and everything fits like it should then start tacking it in place it is really not that hard but it is lots of work but then again I am a body man. Now if any thing structural is bent then that is whole other ball game.
Thanks uedlose. I get everything you say but after I remove the skin and fix the bows I will need a new skin. Get from junkyard?? Would like to send yo pics if I could figure out how. The braces front to back are undamaged. The bows are bend big time. Very helpful reply.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bill h
Thanks uedlose. I get everything you say but after I remove the skin and fix the bows I will need a new skin. Get from junkyard?? Would like to send yo pics if I could figure out how. The braces front to back are undamaged. The bows are bend big time. Very helpful reply.
A salvage yard is your only hope as the roofs are discontinued and have been for many years. so while you are there look to get the bows also. you can post the pics. here it is not to hard. Have you thought about finding another body? It does sound like you have a good bit of damage rollers are getting pretty easy to find again and a nice southern car with no rust would not be real hard to find.
I would just buy a roof with the inner structure and bows and then just cut it off take your time and be gentle so you dont have to much damage to it after it is off. cut the bows from the roof with a razor knife or a piece of small wire like mig wire pulled back and forth like a saw.try not to buckle the roof. look at it real close some times the bows can be removed with the roof also.

Last edited by uedlose; 11-16-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
bill h

These are the pictures of my roof:

Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
bill h

These are the pictures of my roof:

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Holy hell, what fell on it?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
bill h

A tree fell on it during hurricane Irene.

Quick Reply: Roof replacement 1992 hatchback