5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Year for Carb to EFI switch over

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Default Year for Carb to EFI switch over

Wondering what year did Ford make the switch in the fox bodies from carb to efi?

Wife just started working, so I can start planning now

Thanks guys,
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

1985 was the last year for carbs in the mustang
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Awesome, thanks. Now FWIW, I could (with work) put a carbed 302 in a fox-body post 85, right?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

84-85 AOD cars were cfi or other wise throttle body injection. If it had a 5 speed trans they had a carb. The true multipoint efi system came out in 86 and replaced all carbs and cfi throttle body injection.

86, speed density.

88, MAF in California only.
89, all models MAF. I am pretty sure that is the order of things once efi came around.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Wouldn't actually be that much work. You could just put the carb intake on the fuel injected motor. Little more involved than that but that's the gist.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j-town_edge
Awesome, thanks. Now FWIW, I could (with work) put a carbed 302 in a fox-body post 85, right?
Yes, people go w carbs on these cars all the time
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j-town_edge
Really isn't that hard to do, however Ive seen pple make it harder than it has to be. There are a few ways of doing it depending on the year of the 302 you want to use.

You have the fuel system to contend with and if you use a model year 302 that used electric fuel pump you can just get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that can be set to around 7 psi . I have heard of pple converting that to a mechanical pump but if the engine was set up for electric you need to do a lot of swapping out parts such as the timing cover and finding an eccentric to drive it.

If the engine is older with the mechanical pump then you can bypass that and use the pump in the take with fpr for carbs or switch the pickup out in the tank ( a lot of work though to run the correct fuel lines ) . This is what I did on my 95 though because the computer and all that crap was out of the car and scine the pump is controlled by the ecm it was easier to do it that way.

As long as the electronic stuff is still in tact then I would use the electric pump and fpr for a carb. Youll get a check engine light for sure because the sensors are not there but a quick bulb removal will get that out of the way . I just left mine in the cel don't bother me to much.

after you get the fuel system you want you just need a simple ignition , I choose to use a ford Duraspark II system and later went to msd . Simple vacuum controlled timing advance dizzy or an old points system. When I first did mine it had the points dizzy and 12 volts to the coil was all I needed to get it to fire, I updated the dizzy to electronic with the duraspark II after I had it running good .
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Great info guys. I think I'll be going carb (don't get me started about ECUs), just wanted to know the production cut off. This will be my first project. I learn by doing so this would be awesome for me (helps having a friend that is a master tech as well).
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I know some people that are ASE certified that I wouldn't trust to change my oil........
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
I know some people that are ASE certified that I wouldn't trust to change my oil........
You got that sheet right..

Quick Reply: Year for Carb to EFI switch over