5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

A/C decisions......

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Default A/C decisions......

Alright guys, how many of you still have and use the A/C in your cars? Who has deleted it? I'm kind of torn right now as whether or not to keep it. Smog is being eliminated, so that cleans up the engine bay a lot. I like the idea of a hot rod having 500 horse AND a/c, but it's also uglier than hell with all the lines running around the engine compartment.

What's everybody's opinions?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

I'd say get rid of it! Less weight...more room...I deleted all of my smog and a/c...you don't need it lol
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you intend to drive the car a lot I suggest you keep it. I am in the process now of having a new condenser shipped to me so I can get mine operational.

I spent all summer driving around in a car with no ac and it sucked. One of the reasons I bought the lx , it has every thing there and has been converted over to 134a but the condenser was hit with something and has big hole in it. Ill be loving it next summer with some ac when I drive to town , can always shut it off when I want the added power.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Well, my truck has A/C. So I figure if its that hot out, the mustang probably isnt the best choice for the day
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Well, my truck has A/C. So I figure if its that hot out, the mustang probably isnt the best choice for the day
well there ya go lol you don't need it.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Ive got it, kinda. Car is torn apart right now getting repainted (this week Yea!!) and I plan on running a front runner system from March and rerunning all new lines and accumulator because I hate that line Ford runs over the intake. Cant have that over a nice new Trickflow intake. Im smoothing and hiding everything in the engine bay but figured Id keep the a/c since it does get hot in NC and girls will want the A/C on. Dynamat will help to keep it from running all the damn time.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Thats what I was thinking - rerouting and hiding the system. What is the piece from March you're talking about?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

My A/C started leaking a long time ago, and after repairing it a couple times, I gave up and took it out. I was looking forward to shedding the weight, but actually I was surprised how light most of the A/C components were. I will say that when the weather gets around 90, I switch cars and drive the 04 Cobra with functioning A/C.... As long as the A/C system worked, I'd leave it in, unless it was going to be a dedicated track car.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

About $1900

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...FRPl7AodoXwAtA

I like it because it also comes in a finish called black onyx where the edges are blacked out. Matches the trickflow intake and valve covers. I also like where the a/c compressor dumps. Only thing I dont like about the system is it runs a GM 1-wire alternator. I want to see if my Ford 3g or a 6g will fit instead.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Nah, its not a dedicated track car. My condensor is bad, its never worked in the time I've owned the car. I just don't like how ugly it is. I've thought about rerouting everything maybe into the fender well. Maybe use stainless steel lines, but don't know if they'll up to the r134.

Quick Reply: A/C decisions......