5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Anybody ever see this before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Default Anybody ever see this before?

My daughter came to me the other day and said her 1998 GT was making clunking noises when she turned. So I took the car for a ride and the steering was a mess. Her car has 150k miles on it so I told her I'd rebuild her suspension for her birthday. Got under the car and the inner tie rod was leaking what looked like oil. I know they are greased but my only thought is that the ball joint seized and was boiling the grease. Ever see this before? She also hade both sway bar links broken. Anyway she now has a completely new suspension and life is good but I've never seen a tie rod do that before.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
My daughter came to me the other day and said her 1998 GT was making clunking noises when she turned. So I took the car for a ride and the steering was a mess. Her car has 150k miles on it so I told her I'd rebuild her suspension for her birthday. Got under the car and the inner tie rod was leaking what looked like oil. I know they are greased but my only thought is that the ball joint seized and was boiling the grease. Ever see this before? She also hade both sway bar links broken. Anyway she now has a completely new suspension and life is good but I've never seen a tie rod do that before.
Very interesting. Never heard of that. Silly question. Was it coincidence? Any oil leaking from above?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

No motor was clean.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:51 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Ive seen it happen before, I use to work at a used car lot as the mechanic seen it alot, I always attributed it to vibrations between the ball and socket when they get loose..
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

That's a good theory. I didn't think of that, has to be some kind of metal on metal contact boiling the grease.