Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Problem with 5.0 Clutch / Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default Problem with 5.0 Clutch / Slave Cylinder

Well I got my 5.0 and managed to make it all of 50 miles of mid-rpm accel / decel cycles before I had to get on it a little on some 20-75 mph blasts.

Good news is it feels fairly quick. Bad news is it sometimes exhibits the LS1 Clutch Disease...

20 mph, full throttle to 6750 rpm, preload shifter, stab clutch, bang 2nd gear, , dat..dat... dat... rev limiter, lift off throttle whiile popping in neutral, what the @#$%, clutch pedal is stuck to floor, a second or so after lifting and popping into neutral and letting the rpm fall the clutch pedal pops back up. Doesnt happen every time but it wasnt an isolated incident either.

I hope this means it just has a little air in it or I got a bad slave cylinder from the factory and its not going to be an ongoing issue with this car (like the LS1). Shifter by the way seems to be excellent and is positioned farther back than on my 2007 (Which was a bit to much of a reach relative to pedal position for me).

PS Now if I could just stop putting it in 6th every time I want to back up.

UPDATE:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ml#post7045374

Last edited by Gene K; 06-07-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Left out possiblity of air in system.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:38 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

congrats on the car man. sorry to hear about your issue...already

it might just be the slave cylinder as you (and I) hope. either that or maybe your clutch needs to be bled possibly?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
congrats on the car man. sorry to hear about your issue...already

it might just be the slave cylinder as you (and I) hope. either that or maybe your clutch needs to be bled possibly?
Im going to try to bleed it before I let the dealer replace the slave cylinder. I though I had that in the original post but must have omitted it.

I may also look at some of the various components to see if their are any restrictions like the clutch line / master cylinder junction on the LS1.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I was hoping the 2011 wouldn't really have any 1st year car issues since it is for the most part a 7th year production car (reskinned 05+ S197)

but I guess that new 6 speed still has a few bugs to work out. hope the motor is troublefree.

how is the 400+ ponies treating you otherwise? you feel any flat spots in the power band or any other weird power tendancies?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the car! You bastage. Mine's still MIA.

Sorry to hear of the clutch issue, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that when/if mine arrives. My '98 TA had that, had to use the LS6 slave.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I was hoping the 2011 wouldn't really have any 1st year car issues since it is for the most part a 7th year production car (reskinned 05+ S197)

but I guess that new 6 speed still has a few bugs to work out. hope the motor is troublefree.

how is the 400+ ponies treating you otherwise? you feel any flat spots in the power band or any other weird power tendancies?
1. Throttle Response is better. Throttle Opening Rate seems to be better.
2. Infamous skip shift. I thought it wasnt working, If you run light enough throttle while shifting at 15-17 mph to get it to engage on purpose you cant feel the difference. It pulls so cleanly you have to watch the tach or gas on it hard after the shift to tell you went to 4th. It pulls extremely nicely in 2nd gear launches in casual driving.
3. The trans seems to be really nice on initial impression. The shifter is superb for drag guys (Who like a little longer throw for more leverage) but might feel a little long for roadrace guys. But I really like the feel. You can feel the individual teeth and yet its very slick. I will get used to reverse being on the opposite corner eventually.
4. The clutch feels like a hydraulic issue to me. I wouldnt read to much into it as so far my car is the only one to have experienced it. Clutch bites harder than the 4.6.
5. With 3.55 the car hits the 2-3 shift as hard as a CAI/Tune/4.10 4.6 Car.

The only thing weird is how quick you get from the 1-2 shift to 2nd gear limiter. I think in the engine is beating the tach to 7000 rpm by about 250 rpm.

Flat spot? Yes I found one.... Its around 600 rpm... its flatter than 700 which is flatter than 800 which is flatter than.... well you get the picture.... Acceleration just seems to ramp up at a compounding rate. This a very nice engine,

Watch the videos of Evolutions 11.8 runs on Youtube.Yes the car has a few bolt-ons and lca / uca / relocation brackets but watch how the engine seems to be overpowering the chassis.

Some of that comes through on the stock car on street rubber on the street. Has a bit of the old school Muscle Car feel in a straight line and yet feels very tied down yet compliant in the corners.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Good to hear about the 3.55 gear selection.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 PM
It_Guru

What RPM's are you turning at 70? I go the auto and at 70 its already turning 2000 RPM. I'm thinking thats why the atuo only comes with 3.15 gears.

It is a great engine though, can't say how many times I've merged onto the freeway, just to look down and already be doing 100 MPH!!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
bigjohns97

I just hit 200 miles and i was starting to drive normal for the last 50 and the clutch was starting to feel stronger. I'm not saying there isn't an issue because it really does feel like it needs to be bled but you really think there would be air in brand new clutch system for everyone who order a manual?

I can consistantly pop 2nd and 3rd since 200 now.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by It_Guru
What RPM's are you turning at 70? I go the auto and at 70 its already turning 2000 RPM. I'm thinking thats why the atuo only comes with 3.15 gears.

It is a great engine though, can't say how many times I've merged onto the freeway, just to look down and already be doing 100 MPH!!
About 2000 rpm (3.55 Axle). I have not checked it with GPS to know if their is any speedo error.

Quick Reply: Problem with 5.0 Clutch / Slave Cylinder