Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CS or GT Handling vs Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Old Chuck

Default CS or GT Handling vs Brembo

Looking at the handling differences between the Brembo with sticky P's and non Brembo such as the CS. Getting close and looking at having the spare tire vs Brembos. If a CS had the sticky P tires would one notice any differences between the Brembo car? Most articles state that the 2011 5.0 handles the same as the 2010 Track pack but is faster around the track because of the 5.0 engine. The slalom times are identicle. They also state that the TP or Brembo handles better because of the sticky tires. Given that, I would assume the cars have the same or equal equiptment. My question is: If you put sticky P's or sport pilots on the CS would it be in the same class as the Brembo equipted car minus the braking power?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

As far as I know, its just the Brakes, wheels/tires, retuned ESC and strut tower brace. I've heard some say springs and struts/shocks are different as well, but I don't know.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

In reality the braking power stock vs brembo is the same, track use not drag strip u may notice less fade, tires will cost u as much as the whole package costs at invoice, i would just get the brembos, u get brakes wheels tires for 1450 u cant beat that. The brace is on all the gt's
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 AM
wazslow

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
Looking at the handling differences between the Brembo with sticky P's and non Brembo such as the CS. Getting close and looking at having the spare tire vs Brembos. If a CS had the sticky P tires would one notice any differences between the Brembo car? Most articles state that the 2011 5.0 handles the same as the 2010 Track pack but is faster around the track because of the 5.0 engine. The slalom times are identicle. They also state that the TP or Brembo handles better because of the sticky tires. Given that, I would assume the cars have the same or equal equiptment. My question is: If you put sticky P's or sport pilots on the CS would it be in the same class as the Brembo equipted car minus the braking power?
The CS has 19 inch Pirellis on it from the factory.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

These are what I have gleaned from various sources, Some are from Ford but may be typos others were confirmed based on part numbers.

14" Brembo Brake Rotors and Brembo Dual Piston Calipers, Rear Vented Brake Rotors (Unconfirmed), Rear Dual Piston Calipers (Unconfirmed), Different Brake Pad Compound (Unconfirmed), Different Front ABS Modules (Part Numbers), Different Steering Pump Calibration (Unconfirmed), Different ECS Calibration, Different Springs (Part Numbers), Different Shock Calibration (unconfirmed), Different Sway Bar Wall Thickness (Unconfirmed), Special Light Weight 19 x 9 Wheels, Strut Tower Brace (Included with all 19" Wheels). 255/40R19 Summer Tires. Spare Tire Delete and Mobility Kit.

The standard suspension has essentially last years track pack with bigger front brakes but less aggressive pad compound and softer shocks. They have redesigned dual piston front calipers.The front springs are a little softer and the front bar is a little stiffer. It does come with the GT500 LCA + A New Longer UCA Design. I cant say if the ECS programming is as aggressive as the old Track Pack but it will get pretty far sideways in Sports Mode before it cuts in.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wazslow
The CS has 19 inch Pirellis on it from the factory.
Yes but they are all-season tires and narrower wheels. The wheels and tires are also both heavier.
CS Includes the Strut Tower Brace since it comes with all 19's.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Old Chuck

Default Thanks and found handling information

Thanks for all those who took time to answer. Gene K thanks for your indepth response. Found an article in June Car & Driver comparing the Mustang vs Camaro V-8 and V-6. When looking at the skip pad numbers the V-6 with handling package and same size sticky P tires is actually better then the Brembo equipted 5.0. The numbers are close(.95 vs.94) but it seems the tires are the common factor to that test. The braking is about the same as well. However, the lane change test favored the Brembo package(1.8 mph) so maybe the suspension tweeks are there as it is a slightly heaver car. Not sure if the other items would contribute to a better handling feel but it would seem that a CS or GT with the same or equal sticky tires might do just as well on the street even with very spirited driving. I am not saying that the Brembo package is not a great deal when you add up what you get but not sure when looking at strickly street handling that anyone could tell the difference. If anyone knows of any test of non Brembo car with sticky tires I would love to hear of it..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM
orgchem

I'm also wondering the same thing. Because I will be getting the auto, and need to go as cheap as possible, I'm thinking about getting the dealer to put the Brembo-brake package wheels on my car. They said they could. My main reasoning is that the wider and stickier tires will help with cornering/traction. Also, I think wider tires look good on the Mustang . But I don't want to spend the money if it doesn't actually translate into better performance...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Old Chuck

Default Orechem

There is no doubt that the stickier tires will help with cornering and braking. That is the cheapest handling add on you can do. My question was if the same or equally stickiy tires would enable the GT to handle as well as the Brembo equipted car. Perhaps there are tires that will handle better then the P's that come with the Brembo package. Maybe Michelin Sport Pilots would be a great alternative however, when you consider the package and price of the Brembo car, it becomes a bargain. My concern was wanting a spare and trying to equal the performance of the Brembo car and having a spare as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Orgchem- If you are buying an automatic, I'd buy the car with the stock 18's, sell them on ebay for $400, and pick up your own wheel/tire combo. The price through parts on the Brembo wheels/tires is much higher than if you ordered them from the factory on a manual trans. car.

Quick Reply: CS or GT Handling vs Brembo