Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT vs. 2011 Shelby GT 500?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I think the 2011 GT500 doesn't have the same nose heavy issues as past incarnations. I believe they too are aluminum blocks now.
That's right, the '11 5.4L for the GT500 is all alum, and I remember reading somewhere (Motor Trend? I cannot remember) that the '11 GT500 has a 54% to 46% front to rear weight distribution.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 12-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
That's right, the '11 5.4L for the GT500 is all alum, and I remember reading somewhere (Motor Trend? I cannot remember) that the '11 GT500 has a 54% to 46% front to rear weight distribution.
I was just reading about it........the GT500 went from 400lbs to 300lbs heavier. I'm gonna go with the coyote for now.....it's advanced technology is the way of the future.....plus it can easily handle blowers (ecoboost friendly).......the 5.4 is going to retire soon and the coyote will be in the shelby soon....just a bit more HP and a bit more money. One day I'll have one....just can't justify the expense......women don't understand this
Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

You will enjoy the new 5.0! It is such a sweet motor. It may not have the low & mid end grunt of a GT500, but it is lighter & most importantly cheaper. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to have bought a GT500, but it just wasn't in my budget. Now you just have to decide if you're getting an auto or manual. Happy shoppping!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I've been waiting for the 6-speed in the Mustang for sometime.....I can't imagine buying anything else, but you never know? I had a 6 speed in my Z.....best tranny you could have for a street car..
Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
I was just reading about it........the GT500 went from 400lbs to 300lbs heavier. I'm gonna go with the coyote for now.....it's advanced technology is the way of the future.....plus it can easily handle blowers (ecoboost friendly).......the 5.4 is going to retire soon and the coyote will be in the shelby soon....just a bit more HP and a bit more money. One day I'll have one....just can't justify the expense......women don't understand this
Unless you are damn lucky enough to find a girl who is also into cars, yeah, sadly, they do not understand the passion of owning something like a GT500.

As for the 5.4L being retired, it's sad, but its true. But a Coyote with EcoBoost, including the direct injection, advertised at 600 crank BHP is not that far fetched, because apparently, even the Ford engineers have toyed with the idea.

A speculation I have is that the Coyote lower end could be redesigned with larger bores and longer stroke to get the 331ci for the same 5.4L displacement and that new modular Coyote would become the new 5.4L, with TiVCT and all the other features the current 5.0 Coyote has.

Which route will Ford actually take? I personally think the 5.0 Coyote with all sorts of improvements would replace the 5.4L in the GT500.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Twin-turbo forged-internals Coyote.

600bhp easy.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:35 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

I paid about 35k for my car and I'm already putting down more power than a GT500 with only around 10k into engine mods. Do your suspension modifications intelligently, and you'll have a much better car than a Snake, for a lot less cost.

Last edited by CJStang50; 12-12-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I read an article this weekend.....copy this into google search engine:

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

Everything you want to know about the 5.0 plus some......this engine is designed to be turbo charged or supercharged. This thing is plenty beefy for HP bolt-ons. The 4.6 3V or 5.4 can't compete with this engine. The only problem with it.....is that it's a compact motor and punching it out may not be that easy as it was in the past.

The other thing I noticed is that this is a aluminum motor that doesn't have steel cylinder sleeves.....the cylinders are plasma coated. Not sure on this technology application for car engines. I happen to be very knowledgeable in the plasma process(s)......I worked for a major Jet engine manufacturer within the plasma process.....we use this technology on wear areas of the rotating sections of engine. You basically spray a coating or multiple coatings onto the surface / diffuse then machine grind / hone to the dimension. Another plasma process is to plasma spray thru vapor deposition.....charge the area positive and the coating particles attach as though it is a magnetized then the same processes diffuse and machine....depends on how many coatings bond and top coats (in a nut shell). It's an interesting process. It works well for bearing / wear areas on turbine engines, but I never seen detonation (spark) on the plasma coated surfaces......I'm sure they went the distance on teating. Interesting to see how an engine rebuild or boreout will be applied to the new cylinders wall? I'm sure they must have tested this....I can't find any information concerning cylinder dimension of the plasma application. If anyone finds anything please attach link......Bottom line is the steel cylinder better than the plasma sprayed cylinder sleeve?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Very true. boring out an existing small block will erase the plasma coated cylinder walls.
And if the cylinders wear out on such an engine, you have no choice but to buy a new block.

As for my speculation and guess of redesigning the Coyote, I was thinking that if Ford ever did such a thing, they would redesign the block; thicker cylinder walls from the casting, and from the factory, you employ the plasma coating process. Of course, key reinforcement ribbing where needed as well.
I would hope that no one is stupid enough to punch out an existing plasma coated cylinder and drop in new pistons without plasma coating the new bore.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Depending on the coating.......it could be re-machined if done properly.....very slow and lots of coolant......you will know if you screwed up.....bits will flake off or cracking....looks like leather. The question is how thick is the coating and will it take a bore? I put this up in a new thread......not that this would prevent me from buying a 5.0.....thought it was an interesting topic. Maybe some machine shop guys will chime in?

Quick Reply: 2011 GT vs. 2011 Shelby GT 500?