Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Mustang Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 PM
thezfunk

I can't stand the electronic steering assist. When you aren't moving or going slow it really kicks in. It is just one more thing making you feel less connected to the road. I wish it wasn't so aggressive.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 AM
big red one

Originally Posted by thezfunk
I can't stand the electronic steering assist. When you aren't moving or going slow it really kicks in. It is just one more thing making you feel less connected to the road. I wish it wasn't so aggressive.
Ive had my car two weeks and the main think i notice about the steering compared to the 2010 model is:-definitely feels heavier, im not sure if i like it or not, i think it could be more tiring on a longer journey, ive not noticed it "kicking in at low speeds" though

Due to the bad weather ive not been able to try the performance or the different modes on the TC but when i do, ill report back
Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't own an '11 so I have to ask: Are you implying that with EPS they've done away with th pulley driven power steering pump? If so, that would be decent RWHP free-up which may account for some the 5.0's higher efficiency over the 4.6 (or do I misunderstand EPS?).

Edit; OOPS. Got my answer here http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...ower-steering/

Frees-up 3 RWHP and gains 4% in fuel mileage.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

There is no change to the steering when changing stability modes. On 2012 GT's, however, you will have the ability to change steering feel (3 modes) through the electronic display. My mini Cooper has a sport button that dramatically changes steering feel. The mustang is my 4th car with electric steering and so far, the Germans (BMW, mini, and VW... On the GTI) do it best. On my Mustang, it feels a little too loose for my taste at highway speeds. You can easily find yourself drifting into another lane if you're distracted. An interesting note: Ford's system takes the grade of the road into account as well. I also find that keeping the steering wheel straight does not always result in keeping the CAR straight... Which gives the illusion sometimes that the steering wheel is not aligned.

Read this:
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...ower-steering/

Last edited by jmatero; 01-01-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
There is no change to the steering when changing stability modes.
It does.. at least on the Brembo Package (not sure about non-Brembo)... There is a noticeable change when switching to "Sport Mode".
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Mine works like a charm. Feels a bit more responsive and even more precise than conventional pump power hydraulically assisted power steering, if power steering can feel any better.

I will have to read up on how this stuff works.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:18 PM
big red one

On my Mustang, it feels a little too loose for my taste at highway speeds. You can easily find yourself drifting into another lane if you're distracted. An interesting note: Ford's system takes the grade of the road into account as well. I also find that keeping the steering wheel straight does not always result in keeping the CAR straight... Which gives the illusion sometimes that the steering wheel is not aligned.

Hi Jmatero, mine feels completely different to yours, i feel the steering is heavy at speeds and very precise, being heavy means that the car (in my experience) keeps bang on the lane and does not wander, interesting to hear peoples different thoughts isn't it

ian
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Sikest

I'm going to have to agree with Ian....

I just switched from a Boxster S which has razor sharp steering to my 2011 GT and I find the steering to be excellent on the stang.

Other than the sheer size of the Mustang, I figured the steering would be the hardest thing to adjust to but honestly this is the best steering American car I have ever owned!

T.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
DarDan76

I notice that when driving in a straight line, I feel a little resistance when correcting from right to left due to road conditions. And I only have 500 miles on it, maybe it will loosen up some later on. Does not feel anything like my 07 GT did.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

There is no change to the steering when changing stability modes. On 2012 GT's, however, you will have the ability to change steering feel (3 modes) through the electronic display. My mini Cooper has a sport button that dramatically changes steering feel. The mustang is my 4th car with electric steering and so far, the Germans (BMW, mini, and VW... On the GTI) do it best. On my Mustang, it feels a little too loose for my taste at highway speeds. You can easily find yourself drifting into another lane if you're distracted. An interesting note: Ford's system takes the grade of the road into account as well. I also find that keeping the steering wheel straight does not always result in keeping the CAR straight... Which gives the illusion sometimes that the steering wheel is not aligned.

Read this:
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...ower-steering/
Again, yes there is a change. Brembo cars only.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang Electric Power Steering