Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Auntie Crazy

Also watching this thread with interest, as I'm in the market for my first GT and wonder how this impacts the '12s....
Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
NealAtTheWheel5.0

hopefully they'll get it fixed ASAP!

Ford needs to step up and fix this problem...

I have whining/grinding now...
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Even if you don't have major tranny problems, if you have a manual, it just feels like a matter of time, doesn't it?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

This TSB arrived this morning:

MT82 MANUAL 6-SPEED TRANSMISSION COLD SHIFT EFFORT

TSB 11-3-18

FORD:
2011-2012 Mustang

ISSUE
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a MT82 6-speed manual transmission may exhibit increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures. This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears. The increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Replace the MotorcraftFull Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid with 2.6L (2.7 qt) of Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 308-03A for the transmission fluid draining and filling procedure.

This fluid is suitable for use in all ambient temperatures and seasons, and the Scheduled Maintenance guidelines in the Owner Guide can continue to be followed.

The use of friction modifiers or other fluid additives is not recommended since although they may provide some immediate improvement in cold shift effort, they are likely to result in long term degradation of the synchronizers
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
NightMare_12GT
1st Gear Member

uhhh i dont think thats gonna fix it lol. can anyone say band-aid? When I see one for a clutch replacement for a different clutch, not the same part numbers, i'll be happy
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hmm i thought you said the problem was clutch assembly and that changing to that fluid didn't fix the problem? hmmmzz..
Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
InsidiousGT

Originally Posted by Mishri
hmm i thought you said the problem was clutch assembly and that changing to that fluid didn't fix the problem? hmmmzz..
He did. This TSB is only for cold weather "stiffness". The people with major tranny issues are just going to have to wait. Or, take it to their dealer.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
reckles1

Shifting Issues - fixed

Hey, Jmatero
I have seen quite a few logs from you. I had the same issue as everyone else, started with 2nd then 1st then 5th & 6th... so I took your blog into the dealer along with about 30 other peoples and would not take no for an answer! I insisted I be there when they drop the trans & when they did... Ended up being just what I have heard... All 5 bolts were lose and all 3 pins were jacked. - I just wanna' yell out to everyone on here & to forums and say thanks! I would have never been able to do that without the 30 other guys with the same issue. Everyone having this issue needs to do the same! Nothing worse then dropping 35k on a badazz ride an getten' pissed off every time you drive it !
"This should be a place for us to come and say what frickin' badazz cars we have"
! ! ! Ford Needs Ta' Pony Up ! ! !
P.S.
FYI - I put a CAI, Tune, and exhaust, = Tune took care of the skip shift
Then I put a Barton short through shift with bracket on = Took all the play outta' the stick & I love driven it again - it's like I poked "The Beast"
I'm still waiting ta' make sure I got all the bugs out before I feed it the Vortec V-3 sitting on the garage shelf !
-See Now That's What I Wanna' Be Talkin' About In Here-
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Back in December I had the dealer look at the cold notchy shifting when in for another issue. At the time they said that "they couldn't duplicate the problem". I just called them back and asked about the TSB, they agreed to swap the fluid as soon as they get some in stock. I'm not expecting miracles. but it couldn't hurt.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Does anyone know if this is affecting the 2012s? I haven't even driven my new 2012 yet (25 more days woohoo!), but I'm wondering if it would be proper to bring this to my dealer's attention now? Insight?

Quick Reply: 2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming