Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Default 2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming

Hi All

I just got a call from Customer Care regarding my request for a buy-back or replacement. The request was denied.

Kudos to my Customer Care Rep for spending a significant amount of time looking into this. She admitted to me that she (SF Bay area) and Ford (US/Canada/Mexico) are now seeing a rash of 2011 Mustangs showing up at dealers with all of the problems we're experiencing. The Ford Tech Hotline informed her that this is no longer affecting a small number of vehicles. Rather, the clutch engagement, notchy/grinding shifting, and inability to shift into gear (not related to skip-shift) have now become regular, known, wide-spread issues affecting 2011 MT82 vehicles to varying degrees.

According to Customer Care and the Tech Hotline:
Ford now has a fix for the problem. The source of the problem is not the transmission, fluid, shifter, or shifter bushing. Ford has identified the 2011 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY as the source of the problem.

A problematic clutch assembly (which in our cars consists of the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing) would explain the main issues described here including notchy shifting, grinding, unable to engage a gear (not related to the skip shift) and inconsistent clutch engagement. They also confirmed that despite what the owners manual lists, the correct fluid for these transmissions is, in fact, the thicker QS... NOT QDC. They did, in fact, test QDC in a number of cars (including mine) but this ending up being a temporary band-aid... and a negative affect is whining from the transmission.

Customer Care in SF has a meeting that includes the tech hotline and my Rep has committed to contacting me next week with a timeline for roll-out of the fix. She ALWAYS follows up with me.

To anyone out there contemplating changing fluids, adding friction modifier, and spending $$$ on shift kits and bushings in an attempt to fix shifting issues, I would recommend waiting until next week. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Customer Care with a timeline. It would make perfect sense that, depending on how bad an owner's clutch is, a change to a lighter fluid may help. But based on my brand new transmission running QDC, the results are short lived.

This solution would also explain why our Russian friend, who installed an expensive after-market clutch, has reported his problems gone and he is running QS with no shifter modifications at last check. It would also explain why I'm on my 3rd clutch assembly... all the same part numbers... and it did nothing to improve engagement or shifting.

So to reiterate, it appears Ford is preparing to issue a fix that would involve installing an entirely new clutch assembly.

Stay tuned...:bigthumbsup
Old 03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

I would advise anyone with clutch or shifting issues... who hasn't already... to contact Ford Customer Care at 800.392.FORD.

1. Provide your VIN number and explain the problem you're having with the clutch and/or shifting.

2. Request a case number.

3. Ask to be notified directly when the fix is available.

4. Ask that your dealer arrange for a courtesy vehicle during the repair
Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
I would advise anyone with clutch or shifting issues... who hasn't already... to contact Ford Customer Care at 800.392.FORD.

1. Provide your VIN number and explain the problem you're having with the clutch and/or shifting.

2. Request a case number.

3. Ask to be notified directly when the fix is available.

4. Ask that your dealer arrange for a courtesy vehicle during the repair
Is it best to take it to the dealer to get it documented first, or to call Customer Care first?

Also, is this number for just the clutch issue? Or can I call it for any other issues (for example...cold knock)?

Thanks for any info.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Personally, I would call customer care (that is the general number). If you mention to any rep you have a 2011 with clutch or tranny problems, trust me, you won't be the first. You'll be given a case number and the rep will either:

1. Make an appointment at the dealer to have the car evaluated

2. Log your complaint and ask you to hold tight until a fix is announced.

I would have the car evaluated because there is another known issue that can cause your clutch to not fully disengage: pressure plate bolts backing out.

Just my 2cents
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

To be honest it NEVER was effecting a small number of cars.
It has been an issue with a very LARGE number of cars.
The ONLY reason Ford is even considering a "Fix" is to avoid a recall.Due to the bad press and lost sales that it would bring.

A whole model year to come close to dealing with this is unsat.
I have been calling Ford every two weeks since July of last year.
The "Fix" has always been "About to be released"

Last edited by Falcon Fixer; 03-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 AM
DESERTEAGLE50
1st Gear Member

I just got off the phone with them and they told me they don't have any info on any TRANSMISSON PROBLEMS WITH THE 2011 MUSTANG GT!SHE NEEDS TO DRIVE MY CAR LOL!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the update.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
NightMare_12GT
1st Gear Member

im anxious to see how this plays out
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

hmmm, interesting my 10 with the 5spd has a issue with some serious grinding of the gears at times wonder if i might have a clutch issue. Hope they get you guys fixed.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I too am watching hoe this plays out, mainly form the sidelines especially since I have not had any serious failures like Falcon Fixer & jmatero have had.

Quick Reply: 2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming