Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger VS Turbo Charger for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Well from the sounds of it I don't like the odds of our trannys holding up with either.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Well from the sounds of it I don't like the odds of our trannys holding up with either.
The Boss should have an option for the automatic.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
considering the fastest stock-engine 5.0s are running Rousch TVS blowers or whipples in the 1/4, i'd say you are wrong. high 9s-10.0s stock besides wheels/tires/blower. the fastest centri blown 5.0 i've seen so far is running mid-low 10s. same with the helion turbo 5.0. you can sit there and bench race and ricer math it all you want. The proof is in the 1/4 mile numbers.
Only if the driver is the same the car is the same i.e. suspension, wheels tires, weight HP/TQ is the same and day is the same ... ONLY way you can judge which is better at the track ...
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
considering the fastest stock-engine 5.0s are running Rousch TVS blowers or whipples in the 1/4, i'd say you are wrong. high 9s-10.0s stock besides wheels/tires/blower. the fastest centri blown 5.0 i've seen so far is running mid-low 10s. same with the helion turbo 5.0. you can sit there and bench race and ricer math it all you want. The proof is in the 1/4 mile numbers.
I was actually using racing math, not redneck drag strip math. Drag strips are an awful way to measure an engine's true potential. They are a good way to measure an engine's torque output, and its drivetrain's ability to transfer said torque to the ground.

In a road race (like, on an actual race track), an engine's ability to maintain torque and HP at high RPM for long periods of time is far more important. Equally important is weight savings, and I would argue that a centri or TC weighs quite a bit less up front than a Roots or Eaton would.

Equally as important (to me), but somewhat more subjective, is the character your choice in boost adder gives to the engine. To me, an engine with a big ol' Whipple sticking out the top has a different character than one with a turbine-whine Vortech slung low by the (metaphorical) hip.

But, if your goal in putting a charger of some sort on your engine is solely to reduce 1/4' times, then by all means, find the largest displacement PD blower you can find on it and let 'er rip. IMHO they reduce the versatility of the engine, though. And let's make no mistake, this is one of the most versatile engines Ford has produced in a long, long time.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Wildwes: no, they dont need to be all the same. but yes, some of the cars had the same exact suspension and wheels and tires. But im not talking about 2 cars, there are several people who have duplicated these results, it's the law of averages.

Hawkeye18: the 1/4 mile time slip can tell you a lot about the car. the 60' the difference in ETs and Traps between the 1/8th and 1/4. if you know what you are looking for it can tell you a lot about the car. A race track will tell you more about the suspension and wheels and tires and brakes and driver ability than it will of over all power. your typical street race is in a straight lane.

I really dont even know what to say to your last 2 paragraphs? engine character and versitality of the engine?

Last edited by Mishri; 08-21-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one and they all smell.

Everyone has heard that and guess what, it's just as true today as it was when whoever the hell came up with that line. OP you NEED to do a LOT of research to answer this question on your own. No one here IMO can fully answer this question but you, and that requires honestly...months of research. Then once you figure out which form of forced induction lines up with obtaining your goals the best. Then you can ask more specific questions.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Ripper Alpha; 08-25-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
That post is factually, and conceptually, wrong. Centrifugal blowers (Vortech, etc.) do not have lag, like a turbo. The lag in a turbo is caused by the amount of time it takes for the engine's exhaust to sufficiently spool up the turbine to create boost. A centri SC is driven directly by a belt, thus lag is equal to that of any other belt-drive supercharger.
Very true, because the belt is a physically direct mechanical coupling so that you have a constant ratio: for example: 1 crank turn yields 5 turns of the impeller wheel. But I think he is referring not to lag, but what causes turbo lag: moment of inertia. A few centri guys complain that the belt slips. and this is very possible when you are accelerating at WOT because the inertia of the impeller wheel is such that the belt powering it does not have sufficient grip on the pulleys to maintain that mechanical RPM ratio. In this case, going too big of an impeller wheel, even in a mechanically coupled centri-charger, can be detrimental. Upgrading the belt, reducing the gear ratio, and of course, going to a smaller impeller would be solutions to eliminate the belt slip.

Twin turbos would be a good option, as then you could reduce the size of each turbo to one that would eliminate most lag, but then you run into the problem of "Where the hell do I put them?" That's a lot of piping and intercooling to deal with. Twin turbo 5.0 sounds pretty bad-***, though...
I too love the twin turbo concept, if you can shoe horn all that under the hood. And with a symmetrical plumbing assembly, the pipework to me look beautiful. To some, it might look like spaghetti, but to me, symmetrical plumbing, even if there is an excessive amount, look nice in the engine bay.

Hell, if I ha my way, I would have a single turbo for each and every cylinder. An octa-turbo set-up with each individual turbo specifically tuned the right size) for the cylinder it services. Of course the plumbing-works for all 8 and to/from the intercooler(s) in an S197 engine bay will be a true spaghetti bowl, but so long as it is symmetrical, I will love it. I would even have a custom high rise hood made to accommodate the pipework that is sure to have to come above the engine.

...the engine would be laggy as **** unless you sprung for a variable-vane turbo) ...
I am a serious proponent for variable vane turbos, boy howdy do they cost the world. I wish they were considerably cheaper and standard in ALL turbos out there. I can only dream.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Doing some searching, I found this 8-turbo set-up. I love how this guy laid out his engine bay with the pipework

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfujQrr2yA
Old 08-27-2011, 03:16 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I've seen videos on that 8-turbo setup. All I can think is, "What happens when you have to change plug wires?" lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I've seen videos on that 8-turbo setup. All I can think is, "What happens when you have to change plug wires?" lol.
So true. You would have to have one hell of a contortionist extender to get at those plugs! Hell, I abhore the idea of having to unbolt only the intake extenders off of a Roush, KB, and other rear intake supercharger just to get at the plugs. Removing entire tracks of pipework is even lass appealing.

But while you do not have to touch a thing under any of that crap, they sure do look beautiful.