Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

$100 Muffler Delete = Awesome

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 PM
1badduck

Default $100 Muffler Delete = Awesome

Big thanks to everyone on here who posted up about just doing axel back straight pipes. Convinced me to find a local muffler shop here in Portland that would cut the mufflers off my 2012 GT and weld a couple pipes on.

Outcome is amazing. Guy at the shop (A1Muffler), did everything in about 1-hour. even reused my tips to keep the stock look and save me cash.

The sound is pure sex. I own the sexiest sounding car I've ever dreamt of - and I used to run an 08 vette w/ the dual mode exhaust - this is better -so much better. LOVE IT! Yeah, you can totally hear it when you're on it, but inside it's not what I'd call loud - it's what I'd call perfect.

No drone at 65mph in 6th on the hwy either - in fact you can barely tell you've done anything at all - which is totally amazing. I was really concerned about this cuz i make a lot of phone calls during my commute. Not going to be a problem.

Only put about 20 miles on it so far, but I am totally stoked - best $100 I've ever spent.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1badduck
Big thanks to everyone on here who posted up about just doing axel back straight pipes. Convinced me to find a local muffler shop here in Portland that would cut the mufflers off my 2012 GT and weld a couple pipes on.

Outcome is amazing. Guy at the shop (A1Muffler), did everything in about 1-hour. even reused my tips to keep the stock look and save me cash.

The sound is pure sex. I own the sexiest sounding car I've ever dreamt of - and I used to run an 08 vette w/ the dual mode exhaust - this is better -so much better. LOVE IT! Yeah, you can totally hear it when you're on it, but inside it's not what I'd call loud - it's what I'd call perfect.

No drone at 65mph in 6th on the hwy either - in fact you can barely tell you've done anything at all - which is totally amazing. I was really concerned about this cuz i make a lot of phone calls during my commute. Not going to be a problem.

Only put about 20 miles on it so far, but I am totally stoked - best $100 I've ever spent.
Can you upload a vid. We would like to hear it....if possible.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
5.0_StangLover

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Can you upload a vid. We would like to hear it....if possible.
+1 (AGREED!)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I did the same when I had my '07 GT Vert. It was pretty loud for sure. Wife could hear the car a mile away if I accelerated at all. I used 3" pipe and different tips....4" x 18" long. That made a wicked echo chamber for the sound.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
1badduck

I'll try to get some clips this weekend.

Loved it on my first commute today, then went out to rip it up on a local twisty road. Ok, it's really bad for mpg - I"m at 12.5mpg ...can't keep my foot out of it. love this car!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

i just had this done to mine,now wonder why i ever spent $350 for the loudmouths i purchased for my 07.Personal satisfaction i guess,super easy install i dunno?
The local muffler shop cut tips off my stock mufflers,welded new candy canes on and it sounds every bit as great as the $350 ones i bought for my 07,well a little better on the 5.0
They charged me $80,the loudmouths for the 2011 are priced at $440,it's a bargain that can't be beat!

Last edited by wanakanabe; 03-31-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 AM
1badduck

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
i just had this done to mine,now wonder why i ever spent $350 for the loudmouths i purchased for my 07.Personal satisfaction i guess,super easy install i dunno?
The local muffler shop cut tips off my stock mufflers,welded new candy canes on and it sounds every bit as great as the $350 ones i bought for my 07,well a little better on the 5.0
They charged me $80,the loudmouths for the 2011 are priced at $440,it's a bargain that can't be beat!
$80??? Damn, I got ripped off!

I've been amazed at how quite it is when not on it, and how great it sounds when I am on it.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

My '07 was extremely loud on cold start.....then quieted down a lot. Normal driving was a bit loud, hot rodding could be heard for blocks. That is why I don't run loud pipes anymore.....I like to play a bit and got tired of the looks from those in the cars with the funny lights on top. lol
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

sound clips of engine starting, revved sitting, and take off please.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

i had this done on mine at the end of dec. and just love it. i spent $150 but i went with bigger, and longer tips then the stock ones. everybody at the autocross last week couldnt stop talking about how they sounded as i ran the corse. hopefully i can get some video next weekend.

Quick Reply: $100 Muffler Delete = Awesome