Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 GT auto transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Spanx

Update: I guess the Megatron was not the problem either, it did it again 2 days ago. I will be bringing it back Monday so I can go drive a rental for another week.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Spanx

Update: They have had the transmission apart for a week and have decided they are going to replace the torque converter now. I may have it back tomorrow or Monday. That will be a total of 25 days in the shop if I get it Monday.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Spanx
I have had my 2012 Gt for 2 weeks now and have put a little over 1000 miles on it. Today as I started it up and put it into drive it waited about 2 seconds then clunked into gear. I pulled out onto the road and accelerated at a regular speed and it ussually shifts out of first very quickly, this time it let it rev all the way to 3000 rpm's and then shifted and the service light then came on. After this one shift it drove normally all the way to the dealership with no other problems. I turned the car off at the dealership and told them i needed to have it checked. They went out started the car and the light was not on anymore so they pulled it to the back to pulll the code. One of the service people then called me in and said I may have been reving the car too high because the code came up "incorrect gear ratio". I then had to explain exactly what happened so they wouldn't think I was abusing the car. Has anyone else had the same problem or even know why a "incorrect gear ratio" code would come up? They said if it happens again they will have to look into it further but I don't think they really knew what the problem was.
The clunking and delayed shifting is from the tranny fluid being cold.

Happens to me all the time during the winter if I don't let the car warm up for a minute or two. Yes, even in AZ it can get chilly here during winter (below 40F). Let it warm up, and rather than just drop into D or R, go all the way down to 1 then back to D. That will force fluid through all the gears and keep it from holding a gear when cold.

Don't know about the gear ratio error other than the fluid is too cold to allow proper shifting so the PCM trips the code thinking you're the one that is holding that gear.

P.S. I have an '08 with 33K and this slight annoyance only happens during cold weather and only when I start it up after letting it sit to "room temp".
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Spanx

The car has been in the shop this time for 2 weeks and 2 days so far for a total of 27 days of the 2 1/2 months I have owned it. The service department called yesterday and said they were going to replace the computer in the car. Today they called and said they ordered a new transmission and are going to go ahead and replace the whole transmission too. Hopefully this will solve the issue.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Good luck. hope that you get to enjoy your Stang soon. Remember keep your foot up their ****. Ask for free stuff, since they wasted your time.

Last edited by TexasTanker19kilo20; 06-22-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Damn, that's crappy. So they made you rent a car instead of just giving you a loaner? I got a loaner for a day while they tried to fix my crashing shaker 500.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The car has been in the shop this time for 2 weeks and 2 days so far for a total of 27 days of the 2 1/2 months I have owned it. The service department called yesterday and said they were going to replace the computer in the car. Today they called and said they ordered a new transmission and are going to go ahead and replace the whole transmission too. Hopefully this will solve the issue.
Replace the computer....??? Why? Not reprogrammable?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Replace the computer....??? Why? Not reprogrammable?
They ran out of ideas.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Spanx

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Damn, that's crappy. So they made you rent a car instead of just giving you a loaner? I got a loaner for a day while they tried to fix my crashing shaker 500.
It is a rental car from Enterprise but they are paying for it.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

It is a rental car from Enterprise but they are paying for it.
They were always going to pay for it or did they agree after you complained?

Quick Reply: 2012 GT auto transmission problem?