Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

mgw shifter

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
WTFchuck
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 mustang gt
Default mgw shifter

so when is it gonna be released? any word? i read a thread a few days ago he was still workin on it but can't find the thread anymore
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Orderd Sept. 29th, Built Nov. 8th, Delivered Nov 18th!!!
WTFchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
GT Mustang FTW

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

I would LOVE an MGW shifter. I have one in my '01 GT and it is one of the best purchases I've made. Looks like Barton is the shifter of choice atm but I'm waiting for my '12 GT to come in so I have a little bit of time

'01 Blk N Wht GT - SOLD
261RWHP 289RWTQ
GT Mustang FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Entrenched
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

I am part of the test group for this shifter and they contacted me Wednesday to let me know it would be shipping it in a couple of weeks. I will be posting up an install and review thread. I think they are shooting for a September production date.

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Installed - Procharger D1SC Stage II, Boss 302 Intake, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes, Magnaflow Catback, Amazon Racing tune, BMR lowers with brackets, adjustable panhard, double adjustable upper with mount and sway bar relocation, H & R race springs, JPC Line Lock, and M & H front runners and slicks
Entrenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
fake

Vehicle: 2011, Ford, GT

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-tomorrow.html
-GT 500 Spoiler
-Side Window Louvers
-JHR Shift Bracket
fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
2c5s

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 GT

I love my Barton.
CTSV M6 408 L92
GTO A4 427 L92
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
2c5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
speed88
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang GT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSOTb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmLim...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIVNi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmz9C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMV4a...eature=related

Dragon Upper Intake Plenum
Bassani Catted X-pipe
Borla Stingers
18" Black Bullitt Rims
Plus A Few Other Interior/Exterior Mods.
speed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
GT Mustang FTW

Thank you for embedding those videos speed88! I'd been waiting for MGW to come out with a short shifter and watching all 5 of those videos has solidified my intent on purchasing their product. Definitely looks like a top notch quality product and I'm excited to hear when they'll be releasing this product!

'01 Blk N Wht GT - SOLD
261RWHP 289RWTQ
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
I993 SVT COBRA parchisi

Well hell, now I'm considering ditching my Barton, which I actually really like, but the MGW look freakin' insane. That thing wouldn't look out of place in an Abrams tank...

2011 Mustang GT
Premium, Race Red, GT/CS Splitter and Spoiler, 3.73 Gears, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Comp Springs, Tokico D-Specs, MM C/C Plates, UMI Dbl. Adjustable PHB, Barton Shifter, American Thunder Axleback, SVE 19x9.5 Drift Wheels, Hankook R-S3 275/35ZR19 tires all around.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Entrenched
1st Gear Member

Mines been in for a few days and all I can say is WOW! Best shifter ever, I've seen the Barton and bracket and for the same money you get a much better engineered piece in the MGW that adresses NVH with all the added material and new boot. This should be a must buy for everyone.

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Installed - Procharger D1SC Stage II, Boss 302 Intake, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes, Magnaflow Catback, Amazon Racing tune, BMR lowers with brackets, adjustable panhard, double adjustable upper with mount and sway bar relocation, H & R race springs, JPC Line Lock, and M & H front runners and slicks
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
GT Mustang FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrenched View Post
Mines been in for a few days and all I can say is WOW! Best shifter ever, I've seen the Barton and bracket and for the same money you get a much better engineered piece in the MGW that adresses NVH with all the added material and new boot. This should be a must buy for everyone.
Your...MGW Shifter?...has been in for a few days???? How'd you get your hands on one?!

'01 Blk N Wht GT - SOLD
261RWHP 289RWTQ
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
I993 SVT COBRA parchisi

Pretty sure he is a tester.

2011 Mustang GT
Premium, Race Red, GT/CS Splitter and Spoiler, 3.73 Gears, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Comp Springs, Tokico D-Specs, MM C/C Plates, UMI Dbl. Adjustable PHB, Barton Shifter, American Thunder Axleback, SVE 19x9.5 Drift Wheels, Hankook R-S3 275/35ZR19 tires all around.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Entrenched
1st Gear Member

Yes, I am one of the 50 testers. So far it's been great and once you get your hands on one, you'll wonder why the other shifters on the market aren't built this way (new base, comes with rear mount, etc.)

Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT and a 1998 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrenched View Post
Yes, I am one of the 50 testers. So far it's been great and once you get your hands on one, you'll wonder why the other shifters on the market aren't built this way (new base, comes with rear mount, etc.)
Where is the video man?
mondo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
george.arnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo73 View Post
Where is the video man?
There's a good review over on SVTPerformance with a few videos.
george.arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: empty

i was going to post this here as well.What a piece of junk that stock shifter is!Zip ties holding rubber in place on a car that cost this much?Unreal
Makes one wonder how many of the tranny problems are from the shifter.I know there are some real tranny issues but there could be a lot of problems from this design as well.
My only concern is that if i threw one of these in and i had the tranny issue come up,first thing they would point out is shifter and deny warranty.Sure could put the old one back in but there is no way they wouldn't be able to tell something went on down there.
wanakanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011,Ford,Mustang GT

I've had my MGW shifter for a couple of days now and It's worth the wait

this is one of the best engineered shifters I have owned and it really improves all areas of shifting and makes the MT-82 feel like a solid transmission.

There is a little more NVH but I only noticed it when I turned off the radio and AC and listened for it.The reverse effort is a little more then stock but I got use to it and It's not a issue.

I can only compare to the stock shifter and this baby is the cream of the crop.I have a Steeda bracket new in box never installed if anyone want's to try a bracket first,just pm me.

install went smooth and I have the white MGW **** and also a black one if I decide to change up the color.

I was also one of the first 50 that called and got on the list a while back.I was not expecting my shifter but it arrived on Friday to my surprise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000452.jpg (12.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IM000453.jpg (15.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IM000454.jpg (13.8 KB, 5 views)

2011 Mustang GT performance white
3.73 gears

Last edited by zilla8; 09-06-2011 at 11:30 AM.
zilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

I've been telling everyone on the forums who have been asking about shifters lately.
MGW is the BEST shifter out there HANDS DOWN.

One of those few times a company can say their MOD is the BEST for a FACT in ALL aspects when it
goes up against all the other company's same mod and be telling the absolute truth!

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
mouser

I have an '11 GT, white, black leather w/parchment stripe, 3.73's, HID, polished aluminum 18's, Roush axlebacks, strut tower brace, MT-82, MGW!!!!!!!! This shifter is incredible as is all the help at the MGW Company!!! They have been very helpful with any inquiries I've had and have been able to answer any questions I had, with pleasure and I might add, truthfully with no qualms!!! This shifter is everything that they promised and more including the boot being a "little" difficult to install but all went well and the shifter is tight, precise, very predictable (when you want a gear, you don't have to go shopping and feeling around), smooth, and the throw is markedly shorter than stock and I can't wait to get up at 5:00 A.M. to drive to work. And, I hate to leave my wife in the morning, as she is beautiful, but I've got to drive that poor Mustang with the new MGW Short Throw Shifter, 22 miles to work and sometimes in traffic and that makes me have to shift alot. Oh Damn!!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! The only drawback to that is I have to wait 8 hours to drive it again. As George C. Scott said in Patton, " Oh, how I do love it, I do"!!!!! This piece is GREAT, SO STOP PROCRASTINATING AND BUY ONE, AND DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE PRICE, as the other shifters vary in price from $230.00 to $349.00 w/support brackets and extra $'s to get the ball you want. With the Hurst, the nice white ball with the Hurst logo on the top, is like $70.00, give me a break will ya!!!! The rear support bracket comes in the package with the MGW. The only things I bought extra was an extra tub of grease and an extra 12 x 1.75 locknut for $4.00 and a black MGW (white logo) ball with no shift gate pattern on the top, just the white logo, it is as all the rest of the stuff, "BEAUTIFUL" and it only cost an extra $35.00, one piece of artwork (2 1/8" DIA.) S-a-a-a-aweeeeeet!!!!!! This is one of the most quality pieces of aftermarket products I've ever purchased for a car or anything else for that matter, it is worth every dollar!!!!!! I am a senior citizen and with getting all the tools out and jacking up the car and all, it took me 4 hours start to finish, alone. I jacked the car up on the passenger front on one jack stand, in the 3rd or 4th notch and had the stock shifter out in probably less than one hour. I used the rear support bracket to stabilize the shifter box when putting the top part of the shifter in with the 4 allen screws with the nylon insert and used the rear support to take up the down force to push the top part of the shifter onto the reverse spring and into the shifter cup. I watched George's video though, about 10 times (the last 2 segments especially, the new install parts with the MGW shifter and lower box) to make sure I had it and that helped immensely and also the printed directions they sent with the MGW shifter. I am not a car mechanic nor have I ever been one and this was a fun piece to install if you have a few tools, go slow and be patient, don't rush, make sure to do all the steps and it's pretty easy. Take it from a senior!!! There really is nothing special that you need for the install. Well, have fun guys!!!!! mouser!
mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #19
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmoke View Post
I've been telling everyone on the forums who have been asking about shifters lately.
MGW is the BEST shifter out there HANDS DOWN.

One of those few times a company can say their MOD is the BEST for a FACT in ALL aspects when it
goes up against all the other company's same mod and be telling the absolute truth!
^^^Couldn't have said it any better. I was really impressed with the packaging, customer service and the durability of the shifter. A must have!

Vortech V-1 T Trim SC (intercooled), MMR 900 Short Block, CMS Stage 1 blower cams, MHS Stage 1 heads, eddy Vic jr intake, 6061 plenum, FRPP 410's, Flowtech LT's, Anderson Powerpipe, MGW STS

498 RWHP/410 ft lbs of torque---Not bad for a little ol 2V...
Soldier GT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT 5.0 prem.

Got mine installed today by Tillman speed shop. My car was the 1st car they did with this shifter. They told me that an American muscle car that they installed a hurst shifter in about a week ago was coming back in today to have it removed for an MGW shifter. The install time took 3 hours because it was the 1st time, and the installer wanted to get it right. They charged me for 2 hours.

Initial impressions: I didn't use any of the dynomat that came with the shifter but i had the installer put the sound deadening pad that came with it and goes over the factory sound deadening pad. When you start your car the 1st time you will notice a little more noise. We all know a shifter with solid parts will create more noise. I've got a Roush exhaust and the new sounds are lost to my axle-backs. The shifts are solid, and promote added confidence for banging the gears. The throws are noticeably shorter. This is a quality piece that connects you to the car , unlike the stock shifter. Some folks have said this shifter is stiff at 1st , but I've had 2 other MGW's in 2 other cars, a 2010 gt and a 2004 gt and this shifter is the least stiffest of the 3. Most guys are used to the flimsy stock shifter, so when they get their the MGW it feels stiff. To this i say (shift it like a man) that's the beauty of this shifter.

dominant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 2012, 50, date, gt, installing, market, mgw, mgwcom, mt82, mustang, photo, release, shifter, shoftera