Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Selling Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM
IntentionallyChewy

You're going to have a hard time selling that car for 32k. You can get a GT Premium brand new for 32k.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

$20,000 is definitely insulting. But, $32,000 is probably not gonna happen. Just looked it up on KBB and 28-29k sounds about right to me. I bought mine for 29k with 1300 miles. I don't think you can expect any additional cash for those mods. Sell them seperately if you can.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
dwhess504

I think some of us would for sure buy some of those mods off ya. I want the barton shifter
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411
In a bad economy it may take a while to sell and it is much harder for many to get used car loans right now without putting some cash down. You won't get much for the mods.
yeah I know. I wont get jack if I pull them off either. It is on ebay with 3 days left at 22400. If anyone would care to bump it up I would appreciate it. 30k is my reserve BTW.

Originally Posted by IntentionallyChewy
You're going to have a hard time selling that car for 32k. You can get a GT Premium brand new for 32k.
Where the hell can I find a 2012 brand new premium for 32k? Ill trade this and do that then dang.

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
$20,000 is definitely insulting. But, $32,000 is probably not gonna happen. Just looked it up on KBB and 28-29k sounds about right to me. I bought mine for 29k with 1300 miles. I don't think you can expect any additional cash for those mods. Sell them seperately if you can.
If I dont get ANY additional cash then this world is effed up.

Originally Posted by dwhess504
I think some of us would for sure buy some of those mods off ya. I want the barton shifter
make an offer, it hasnt been installed yet...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I think you could get 30k for it.
32 would be a really good job on your part for haggling with the person or dealership.
But it is not out of the question. Your car is worth that yes. Even more.
But they will use the "this is what a brand new car costs" thing against you so you would have to
lean on them HARD about how your car is basically a specialty Mustang without the badging and you KNOW they
would sell it for more than a new bone stock car. You would probably have to go as far as tell them
you were told by a friend that works at a dealership how much they would sell YOUR car for.

Heck I was told we were crazy from people on forums thinking I would get
17k for our 06GT with 50k and mods and we got it from the FIRST place
we found a GT500 we wanted. We just did not tell them what car we were interested in before we talked trade in price. That way they would not go up on their bottom offer for THEIR car lol!

Gotta remember lots of times when they give you what they want for trade in they will try to get it back with the price of the car you are trading it in for.
That's why you talk trade in price BEFORE you talk about the car you are interested in. What's even better... is to have someone ELSE talk to them about the car you are interested in first and get the bottom price they will take THEN. After that you tell them that is what they quoted you for on the car you were interested in.

Get it? Just gotta know how to beat them at their own game buddy.

If they don't give you NEAR what you want after trying lots of places, then I would part out with the mods
and sell them off, then trade your car in stock.
But ONLY IF what you sold the mods for AND what they gave you for it back to stock would put you above what they offered
you for it with the mods on.

I would make SOLID prices on what you would take for your mods in this case.
That way you can MAKE SURE you will get what you want money wise for your car and mods together.
Don't part with the mods at dirt cheap prices where you have to wait all that time to get them sold, then ended up getting a thousand bucks for them all together
and probably could have haggled the dealership to give you a thousand more on the trade in.
That would be a waste of your time trying to sell them off.
A thousand bucks is not much at all for a dealership to go down or up on.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

According to your ebay ad, your car gets 22 city / 31 highway mpg ... that is MUCH better than I've ever done in my '11. Hmmm, sure about those figures?

Anyway, good luck with the sell. Like others mentioned, it is darn near impossible to get your money out of a modded vehicle. If you find out the secret, let me know. I've got a well built Jeep collecting dust in the driveway.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I used to sell cars and people who have modded cars for trade usually storm off the lot stomping their feet angry that they were "low balled" on their trade. Although $20k is way too low for a 2011 GT. I would estimate a dealer would give about $26k max on trade. They in turn would stick it out on their lot marked "Was $30595, now $28995".
My 2011 GT premium listed for $35575, I bought it for $29500. It will be very hard to sell a used car for more that what you can buy a new one for, mods or no mods.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately, mods rarely add to the sale price of a used vehicle. I have even heard of cases where the buyer used the mods as leverage to drop the price, saying that the mods do not come with any gauranty that they were installed correctly, that they "void" warranties.

If I were you, I would hold on to the records of the shops that installed your mods as proof that they were professionally installed.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM
bfunke

MTFLYBOY - you have a nice car but seriously you will never recoup the cost of your mods. I general mods do not add to the resale value and sometimes detract. The people to whom these mods appeal often like to do the work themselves rather than purchase the car that way. Many buyers will also be wary of a heavily mod'd car believing it's been raced or otherwise abused. As the poster above notes your ad did sound desparate. Anyone looking for car this new would also be comparing with the cost of a new car. I think you have several options

1. List it for a fair KBB value and see what happens. It may take a while given the current economy. Be sure to post on the forum classifieds as you will better reach your target audience.

2. Sell it quick and take a loss.

3. Return it to stock and sell the aftermarket parts individually. This will take considerable effort and you'll definitely have to discount the prices of every item from what you paid.

Recommend you chalk this one up to experience. That go-fast Zoomie firstie sports car won't necessarily meet your needs once you graduate from the Zoo and your situation changes. Best wishes at UPT or wherever you end up.

BF
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

32 is way too much to be asking for. Sorry but it's true. I bought my new 12 GT Premium for 33k. Sell it for 27-28 and see what you can get. Kbb or not, you lost 5K off the car as soon as you drove it off the lot.

Quick Reply: Selling Rant