Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

85mm BBK throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:17 PM
2011BlackRTR

Default 85mm BBK throttle body

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-85...ody-112gt.html

Anyone have any information on this? AM claims it requires no tune. I like the idea of adding some low-end torque
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
twistedneck

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRTR
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-85...ody-112gt.html

Anyone have any information on this? AM claims it requires no tune. I like the idea of adding some low-end torque
Mine should be delieverd tomorrow.. i'll follow up on this thread. I'm with you in that there are not many pure bolt on's for performance once you do CAI and LTH + tune.

And since the boss intake actually reduces peak torque that would only benefit those people with pure racing in mind or the Texas mile.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

ive seen first hand that that part offers zero hp gain on a car that's not heavily modded already. IMHO if your car is all stock, return it for a refund.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
ive seen first hand that that part offers zero hp gain on a car that's not heavily modded already. IMHO if your car is all stock, return it for a refund.
+1 you will see little to no increase in power from a throttle boddy unless you are going force induction.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 AM
twistedneck

Originally Posted by Maraman
+1 you will see little to no increase in power from a throttle boddy unless you are going force induction.
Not true. I have tracked just about all of my mods so i know what 10hp feels like.

On my car here is what changed.

1. throttle tip in is much smoother. so much better that i have far less driveline lash noise and less vibration from the chassis when in a high gear like 3rd at low rpm.
2. car is louder up front, like an old school flipped air cleaner.
3. not sure how or why, but it made a very noticeable seat of the pants gain, especially noticeable above 5000. torque is clearly up as well - this was verified by a friend who has also driven my car before and after.
4. smooth engine revs - however impossible it sounds, my engine revs smoother now, and i hit 7000 much easier.

i know 5mm of throttle body isn't supposed to make these types of gains, but for what ever reason it did on my ride.

jlt cai, bama 93 race tune, kooks 1.75 headers, x pipe.

if i would have known how well my car responded to this i would have purchased it right away but i was told it was useless for non supercharged cars, and that is simply not true. for pure bolt ons, what else is left? not the intake, that reduces peak torque.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by twistedneck
Not true. I have tracked just about all of my mods so i know what 10hp feels like.

On my car here is what changed.

1. throttle tip in is much smoother. so much better that i have far less driveline lash noise and less vibration from the chassis when in a high gear like 3rd at low rpm.
2. car is louder up front, like an old school flipped air cleaner.
3. not sure how or why, but it made a very noticeable seat of the pants gain, especially noticeable above 5000. torque is clearly up as well - this was verified by a friend who has also driven my car before and after.
4. smooth engine revs - however impossible it sounds, my engine revs smoother now, and i hit 7000 much easier.

i know 5mm of throttle body isn't supposed to make these types of gains, but for what ever reason it did on my ride.

jlt cai, bama 93 race tune, kooks 1.75 headers, x pipe.

if i would have known how well my car responded to this i would have purchased it right away but i was told it was useless for non supercharged cars, and that is simply not true. for pure bolt ons, what else is left? not the intake, that reduces peak torque.
have you had the car on a dyno before and after to see the gains? I've seen actual development dyno video of those parts on a dyno and the test material shows 0 hp gain and a slight loss in torque on a factory tune car, with shorty headers, and a no tune intake. Not trying to bash your purchase at all. All I am saying to the OP is that there are much better mods for $500 than a TB. A good tune alone will account for a lot of the things you are seeing. The Camaro Tb is even worse, it actually lost hp and significant torque on a car with similar mods. imho the TB comes into play with FI cars on NA apps stick with factory.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
have you had the car on a dyno before and after to see the gains? I've seen actual development dyno video of those parts on a dyno and the test material shows 0 hp gain and a slight loss in torque on a factory tune car, with shorty headers, and a no tune intake. Not trying to bash your purchase at all. All I am saying to the OP is that there are much better mods for $500 than a TB. A good tune alone will account for a lot of the things you are seeing. The Camaro Tb is even worse, it actually lost hp and significant torque on a car with similar mods. imho the TB comes into play with FI cars on NA apps stick with factory.
@ twisted

Not trying to flame you man, but me and Shane are talking numbers. Louder car, and smoother ride do not neccessarily mean more HP. You may see a little improvement because of aftermarket CAI over the factory airbox with the larger inlet tube, but it would still be little to no improvement. The TB opens/closes to allow air into your intake, If you are not forced induction you are pulling no more air into your intake then your car is normally pulling thru its grille on a regular basis, therefore how could it make more power?

PS what part of Michigan are you from?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

A bigger throttle body can give you quicker throttle response on some applications. This can give you the perception of more hp. JPC did get 5-8 hp across the power range from a L and M throttle body with no retuning.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:47 AM
twistedneck

Originally Posted by Maraman
@ twisted

Not trying to flame you man, but me and Shane are talking numbers. Louder car, and smoother ride do not neccessarily mean more HP. You may see a little improvement because of aftermarket CAI over the factory airbox with the larger inlet tube, but it would still be little to no improvement. The TB opens/closes to allow air into your intake, If you are not forced induction you are pulling no more air into your intake then your car is normally pulling thru its grille on a regular basis, therefore how could it make more power?

PS what part of Michigan are you from?
Maraman i live in the little d - dearborn.

I will admit that the driveability improvements have been by far the most noticeable effect from the new TB. The other huge effect is rev smoothness and peak. I have never in the past had the luxury to find out that my engine pulls hard to 7050 and then hits 7100 and the climb slows way down. before the new TB this engine combo simply would run out a little earlier and did not like the high rpm as much, not in my car. i am very happy and i dont get happy for just extra throttle response i went through that with 6 or 7 different tunes on my car so i get an idea what that is. Also, she used to stall once every few days at the traffic light, since the install no stalls, slightly higher idle and to be honest it has a harmoic vibration at this new 750ish idle..

There is no question power under the curve and peak power have increased its just HOW much. i agree this is not normal and therefore one of the following has occured.

A. My old tb was defective or the install was causing a vacuum leak of some sort.
B. Change over caused my car to lean out and the compensation in the fuel trims have somehow increased torque and peak rpm.
C. 5mm was just enough to unlock HP from the other mods that was not showing itself.
D. Its all in my perception, colder weather, placebo effect, etc..

PS. does that new 1/2" spacer actaully work? what is the point of it?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by twistedneck
Maraman i live in the little d - dearborn.

I will admit that the driveability improvements have been by far the most noticeable effect from the new TB. The other huge effect is rev smoothness and peak. I have never in the past had the luxury to find out that my engine pulls hard to 7050 and then hits 7100 and the climb slows way down. before the new TB this engine combo simply would run out a little earlier and did not like the high rpm as much, not in my car. i am very happy and i dont get happy for just extra throttle response i went through that with 6 or 7 different tunes on my car so i get an idea what that is. Also, she used to stall once every few days at the traffic light, since the install no stalls, slightly higher idle and to be honest it has a harmoic vibration at this new 750ish idle..

There is no question power under the curve and peak power have increased its just HOW much. i agree this is not normal and therefore one of the following has occured.

A. My old tb was defective or the install was causing a vacuum leak of some sort.
B. Change over caused my car to lean out and the compensation in the fuel trims have somehow increased torque and peak rpm.
C. 5mm was just enough to unlock HP from the other mods that was not showing itself.
D. Its all in my perception, colder weather, placebo effect, etc..

PS. does that new 1/2" spacer actaully work? what is the point of it?

I could be way off, but I think that its for CAI or forced induction tubes that may be angled down, to help with fitment.

P.S. (off topic) - Me and a bunch of local buddies are going to Lapeer dragstrip this saturday November 5th. More info in this thread:

http://mustangcollective.com/showthr...138#post447138

Let me know if you need any more info or plan on going!

Quick Reply: 85mm BBK throttle body