Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 cold tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Default 2011 5.0 cold tick

I currently have about 9,500 miles on my 2011 5.0 and changed the factory oil at 3080 miles with Valvoline SYNPOWER 5/20 synthetic oil and started to notice upon cold start a ticking sound coming from what seems to be the drivers side of the engine but don't hold me to it my hearing isnt what it once was. I used the recommended motorcraft oil filter for the 5.0. Changed my oil again at just over 8,000 miles also with SYNPOWER and motorcraft oil filter tick still there, and is also very faint when fully warmed up but still there.

Others have this issue too I have seen vids on YouTube and I have read that dealers have used an additive to the oil and the sound goes away until the next oil change and the noise comes right back, I have seen that there is a tsb which replaces drivers side timing pulley and some other stuff bit once again have read that this has not fixed the issue.

The tick has absolutely no effect on performance but is annoying to hear on a new car! I don't want to take my car to the dealer if I'm going to end up without my car for a few days to just have the same issue comeback after I change the oil again (I change my own and yes I made sure that 8 quarts were added)

Looking to hear from those that have experience this issue and what did Ford do? My car is bone stock with exception of gt500 axle-back mufflers.

Thanks in advance,
James
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Man id be pissed if my car started ticking. Goodluck and i hope it get it figured out.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Thanks man! It's just annoying and embarrassing but like I said no performance issues! Just don't want to waste my time at a dealer until I know it is a permanent fix
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I had a ticking noise coming from my rear passenger pads after running down the strip that was annoying as Hell. It would.get faster and louder the faster I drove lol. Easy fix though. I applied some extra anti seize on all the moving parts and it disappeared.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johngt10
Yeah I had a ticking noise coming from my rear passenger pads after running down the strip that was annoying as Hell. It would.get faster and louder the faster I drove lol. Easy fix though. I applied some extra anti seize on all the moving parts and it disappeared.
I have a feeling that's not the issue here, but thanks for your input
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
I currently have about 9,500 miles on my 2011 5.0 and changed the factory oil at 3080 miles with Valvoline SYNPOWER 5/20 synthetic oil and started to notice upon cold start a ticking sound coming from what seems to be the drivers side of the engine but don't hold me to it my hearing isnt what it once was. I used the recommended motorcraft oil filter for the 5.0. Changed my oil again at just over 8,000 miles also with SYNPOWER and motorcraft oil filter tick still there, and is also very faint when fully warmed up but still there.

Others have this issue too I have seen vids on YouTube and I have read that dealers have used an additive to the oil and the sound goes away until the next oil change and the noise comes right back, I have seen that there is a tsb which replaces drivers side timing pulley and some other stuff bit once again have read that this has not fixed the issue.

The tick has absolutely no effect on performance but is annoying to hear on a new car! I don't want to take my car to the dealer if I'm going to end up without my car for a few days to just have the same issue comeback after I change the oil again (I change my own and yes I made sure that 8 quarts were added)

Looking to hear from those that have experience this issue and what did Ford do? My car is bone stock with exception of gt500 axle-back mufflers.

Thanks in advance,
James

Silly rabbit! Ticks are for kids!
Sorry, I could not help myself.

I believe the lash adjusters like mineral oil (dinosaur oil) more than synthetic oils. I do not know why. Maybe the lash adjuster chambers need some back pressure from the thicker flow of dino oil? I am only pulling this guess out of my *** because viscosity is rated by the weight of the oil, for example, 10w30, 5w20.
The API viscosities would be identical. I too am wondering why dino oil prevents the cold ticking.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I do my own oil changes I use Royal Purple 5w20, I havent had any ticking. I use motorcraft oil filters.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

my next oil change is in 3500 miles, and probably just going to switch back to motorcraft 5w20 vs 5w20 SYNPOWER and see if that makes any difference. The Motorcraft is a synthetic blend and is what the factory fill is.

This makes me curious as to the others experiencing the same issues with the cold tick, what oil are they using? Most claim this has began after the initial oil change which is when I started to notice this too.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I know several other memebers here in 5.0tech are using the same oil that I am, I think a couple are using the motorcraft oil.

I did a search and found alot of threads with oil discussion, maybe you will find something relevant to what your looking for:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/sear...archid=3544546
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I have been reading lots of threads about oil and changing the viscosity to 5w30 or 10w40 full synthetic. But I want to follow the warranty requirements and continue to use 5w20 at least until the warranty expires. Just curious to see if these issues have something to do with the full synthetic (which makes absolutely no sense) especially because I have read about people using RP & AMSOIL and no ticking whatsoever.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 cold tick