Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Boss 302 Manifold or short throw

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Default Boss 302 Manifold or short throw

So i just installed a JLT CAI the SLP Axle Back exhaust (sounds AMAZING) and tuned my car with a SCT Tuner and I've noticed a HUGE difference in power and throttle response. I've been thinking about buying the Boss 302 Manifold but before I do I wanted to see if anyone else has bought it and if it's worth it. I'm trying to decide what would be worth buying first, the manifold or a short throw shifter. Any help would be great!!! Also, any advice on the short throw would be great too. I've heard mixed reviews about the Barton and Steeda..
Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 AM
stangs13
1st Gear Member

I would go with the shifter myself. I think everyone enjoys the MGW shifters! If I am not mistaken the boss manifold has shorter runners, and may cause some low end torque loss, but makes up for it in midrange power, (which I wont really need for street and occasional track runs). It really depends on what kind of driving you do.I have been crazy with my finals and I am not doing well on sleep, so I am not responsible for errors lol.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Please read this thread for more information on boss intakes:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...his-first.html
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

After reading that thread (can't believe i missed it) I believe I'm going to go with the short throw. Now, which short throw should I get. I've heard that the Barton is really loud inside the car, however, with the radio on and with my exhaust (which is loud even runnin at cruising speed) would I even hear it?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Some people have claimed noise, some people haven't. I plan on going with the barton in the future.

Haven't really been able to determine for myslef what is causing the noise for some people over others, I think its something with the installation. Theres a rubber piece that has to get folded back down below the shifter, I think some people aren't getting it just right.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Yea, looks like my questions have been answered. Hope to get this thing installed before Christmas
Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
So i just installed a JLT CAI the SLP Axle Back exhaust (sounds AMAZING) and tuned my car with a SCT Tuner and I've noticed a HUGE difference in power and throttle response. I've been thinking about buying the Boss 302 Manifold but before I do I wanted to see if anyone else has bought it and if it's worth it. I'm trying to decide what would be worth buying first, the manifold or a short throw shifter. Any help would be great!!! Also, any advice on the short throw would be great too. I've heard mixed reviews about the Barton and Steeda..
Here's a review directly from a customer who has had both the Steeda and Barton shifters

I had the Barton shifter and back support installed professionally in South Florida. The unit appears to be very well designed. I drove it for 2 weeks and found that in my 2012 GT CS, the NVH was too much for my daily driving. It is a very short throw between the gears and very precise. This makes the shifts require some effort due to almost zero lateral play, IMO. I had the shifter and bracket removed and my OEM shifter reinstalled.

A month later, I decided to try the Steeda shifter and took a ride to their Pompano Beach facility. I had Steeda install their shifter with the "red" hard rubber insert in their back bracket, as opposed to their "black" very hard rubber insert(which would have slightly more nvh due to increased rigidity). I have driven the past 3 weeks with the Steeda and here are my observations:

1. NVH is barely increased over the stock shifter and is significantly less than the Barton Unit.
2. The throw is alot less than the stock shifter, but the Barton's throw is a bit shorter between gears. As I use my car for a daily driver(15000 miles/year) and have to drive in traffic, the increase in nvh and increased effort to shift the Barton make the Steeda much better for my situation.

If I was weekly going to the drag strip and continually powershifting, and not caring about NVH, the Barton would be fine. I haven't yet taken my GT to the drags yet but anticipate going 3 times or so per year and the trying autocross. The Steeda is effortless in traffic and that is extremely important.

Here's the thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...shifter-8.html

You can also check out some Boss intake discussion here: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...ussion-492636/

Last edited by SteedaGus; 12-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.