Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of getting back in the game...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Get the manual. My 12 shifts better than my 08. No problems with my trans. (knock on wood) and i been driving it hard. This thing is a best in stock trim. Get the 3.73s too
Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

no problems with my manual. As long as i have a left foot to work a clutch with, I'll be keeping my manual transmissions, too. As will my wife.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

The whole tuning issue is guys tuning their car too much and the engine going bad which can happen with any car. Ford won't fix guy's engines if that happens. But if something else breaks unrelated to a tune it seems that they will fix it. Just use common sense and get a tune from a respected company. I love my manual trans car too. It's a little rough in the cold mornings but once it warms up I have no problems.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 AM
keoni1984

I have a '11 5.0 with the manual. Almost 18k miles and not a single problem, shifts are silky smooth. I do however live in AZ...
Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Ok first off I bought the automatic cause the POS chinese transmission wasnt worth taking a chance with IMHO. I test drove the manual, and it grinded on a 6-5 downshift and I said **** this I'll stick with the auto. I agree 100% manuals belong in sports cars, but theres cold hard facts the a GREAT number of people have problems with these trannies. Go on SVT performance and check how many people traded their manuals for autos. If it wasnt such an issue there wouldnt have been an open investigation with ford about it.

The kid who bought my roush bumper had tranny problems, one of the salesman at my local dealership had problems, and I have 2 friends on facebook that had problems with it.

Do what you want, take your chances, I was just giving my 02 to the op. I'm not OP I dont make his decisions, I was giving him info like he asked for.

RANT OVER

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 01-03-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

No problem Grabber...

I wonder what is the true percentage rate of failure on this gearbox...?
The "Made in China" thing is annoying for sure.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 AM
theviking

I have a 2012 with the manual trans. Doesn't like to downshift into 2nd when cold but otherwise it's been ok. From what I've read Ford has made some minor changes to the trans since it was first release to deal with the shifting complaints. I believe the early 2011 cars had the most complaints/problems. Actually rented an auto 5.0 for a week last summer and while it was definitely an animal at highway speeds I still prefer the visceral thrill of a manual car.

I also have the Ford tune and GT500 axle back mufflers. Both are excellent mods IMO. The Ford tune is covered by FRPP for 3/36 if installed by a Ford dealer. I felt the power pick up everywhere but especially in the low/midrange RPM's. I've read posts claiming it's a waste compared to other aftermarket tunes but I suspect they've never actually owned the FRPP product. When I get some additional miles on the car I'll dyno it and see how it compares to some other setups.

About everybody agrees the GT500 muffers are excellent for the money. Stock exhaust is way too quiet for a Mustang.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

haha yeah, just about everything is made in china now anyway.

don't be afraid of the manual, just test drive it thoroughly first. On the forums when the car was still fairly new it was blown into a big problem but i think it was more of a thing where most people with the problem were posting and the thousands of people w/o problems didn't post.

I wouldn't worry about tuning or modding, American Muscle has a guarantee if you use their tune they'll replace the engine (pay for replacement) if you have the #8 piston failure that was associated with tuning issues.

Tuners screwed up early on, changed the knock sensor settings which lead to detonation and piston #8 (the hottest) blowing up. Now you dont see people reporting it that are getting new tunes. I think its now about as safe to mod/tune these cars as it was on the 3 valve.

So far the piston #8 issue is the only one they can directly attribute to tuning/modding so it's the only thing they can legally deny coverage on. Warranties can't be completely voided even when the dealerships tell you they are and it shows in their system as voided, the law still makes them cover any issues that weren't caused by your modification.

Last edited by Mishri; 01-03-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
haha yeah, just about everything is made in china now anyway.

don't be afraid of the manual, just test drive it thoroughly first. On the forums when the car was still fairly new it was blown into a big problem but i think it was more of a thing where most people with the problem were posting and the thousands of people w/o problems didn't post.

I wouldn't worry about tuning or modding, American Muscle has a guarantee if you use their tune they'll replace the engine (pay for replacement) if you have the #8 piston failure that was associated with tuning issues.

Tuners screwed up early on, changed the knock sensor settings which lead to detonation and piston #8 (the hottest) blowing up. Now you dont see people reporting it that are getting new tunes. I think its now about as safe to mod/tune these cars as it was on the 3 valve.

So far the piston #8 issue is the only one they can directly attribute to tuning/modding so it's the only thing they can legally deny coverage on. Warranties can't be completely voided even when the dealerships tell you they are and it shows in their system as voided, the law still makes them cover any issues that weren't caused by your modification.
Thanks for tuning in Mish, it seems a lot of people in this section don't have their facts straight.

@ Grabber, that NTHSA investigation came back debunked. They found no failures with transmissions as reported. I dont't wanna say those guys don't know what they are talking about, but they do test cars for a living..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
a ton of people are having issues with the MT-82
Ummm, no, only a very few are having problems. So few that the investigation was dropped. Something like a total of 32 complaints. The only real problem is shifting when the tranny is cold. Just change the tranny fluid as the TSB indicates.

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
if they find out you have an aftermarket tune they will void your motors warranty.
Again, no, they can only refuse to warranty it if they can prove the tune was at fault for whatever damage exists. Simply tuning it does nothing to the warranty.

It's amazing how things get blown out of proportion on these forums.

OP, if you want a manual, get one. I recommend the Brembo package too.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting back in the game...