Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
mattaglover
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 9
Default Lower Control Arm Relocation

Should I get a lower control arm relocation bracket if I am lowering my car 1-1.5 inches? Im replacing the lower control arms to fix my wheel hop and launch but will it grab better with relocation brackets too or is this a waste?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
mattaglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
clowe1965
5th Gear Member
 
clowe1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang, 1965 Ford Mustang
Location: South Carolina, Axle swap anyone?
Posts: 4,469
clydenator 6000
Default

Call some of the vendors, most of them are honest and will tell you what you need. Try Chris at AM or one of the steeda reps.
clowe1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
scottmach
2nd Gear Member
 
scottmach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 425
Default

Yes you should get control arm relocation brackets especially after you have lowered it. The reason being the front of your control arm will now be higher than the rear and you want it level, or parallel with the ground. I use the BMR ones.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Automatic 401A Premium
Boss Intake, Circle D 4C converter, American Racing 1 7/8 Longtubes and off road x-pipe, Kooks catback, BMR lowering springs, BMR lower control arms, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Self Tuned

2003 Mach1 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @ 25 lbs. SOLD
2.3 polished Whipple and every other mod possible
scottmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
csamsh
 
csamsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7
Default

Did you weld the BMR ones? I saw they said "bolt-in" but I don't know how much I would trust that
csamsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
UPRSharad
Sponsor
 
UPRSharad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
Location: FL
Posts: 2,359
www.facebook.com/sraldiris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattaglover View Post
Should I get a lower control arm relocation bracket if I am lowering my car 1-1.5 inches? Im replacing the lower control arms to fix my wheel hop and launch but will it grab better with relocation brackets too or is this a waste?
They are not absolutely necessary. Some of the quickest S197s, yes even lowered ones, do not use them.

At UPR, our 2010 GT runs 9s in the quarter mile without relocation brackets.
__________________

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
thelastsumurai
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT
Location: FL
Posts: 41
Default

Get adjustable upper/lower control arms and of course adjustable panhard bar to straighten out the axle for a 1.5 drop. You don't need the relocation bracket
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
scottmach
2nd Gear Member
 
scottmach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Get adjustable upper/lower control arms and of course adjustable panhard bar to straighten out the axle for a 1.5 drop. You don't need the relocation bracket
Oh really? You do realize when you lower the car you've changed the angle of the lower control arm, and not for the best.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Automatic 401A Premium
Boss Intake, Circle D 4C converter, American Racing 1 7/8 Longtubes and off road x-pipe, Kooks catback, BMR lowering springs, BMR lower control arms, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Self Tuned

2003 Mach1 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @ 25 lbs. SOLD
2.3 polished Whipple and every other mod possible
scottmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
thelastsumurai
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT
Location: FL
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
Oh really? You do realize when you lower the car you've changed the angle of the lower control arm, and not for the best.
I think thats what I said. You need adj lower and upper arms for a 1.5 drop.(plus adj PHB) Thats what I did and no wheel hop anymore...Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 02-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
JimC
Moderator
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
I think thats what I said. You need adj lower and upper arms for a 1.5 drop.(plus adj PHB) Thats what I did and no wheel hop anymore...Sorry for the confusion
I think you are confused on the question. The adjustable lower and upper control arms will re-set your pinion angle. They don't do anything though for the change in the relation of the lower control arm to the ground.

When you lower the car what happens is that the front of the arm is now lower than the back where it attaches to the axle. When you launch some of the power is used to push UP on the body as a result instead of pushing the car forward.

The relocation bracket will let you relocate the back of the lower control arm attachment so the arm is now parallel to the ground or maybe at an angle down at the back. That lets you get the power to the ground and moving the car forward instead of pushing the car up.
__________________

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
scottmach
2nd Gear Member
 
scottmach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
I think thats what I said. You need adj lower and upper arms for a 1.5 drop.(plus adj PHB) Thats what I did and no wheel hop anymore...Sorry for the confusion
I think you're confused. Show me a pic of your lower control arm and I can show you the problem from the pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I think you are confused on the question. The adjustable lower and upper control arms will re-set your pinion angle. They don't do anything though for the change in the relation of the lower control arm to the ground.

When you lower the car what happens is that the front of the arm is now lower than the back where it attaches to the axle. When you launch some of the power is used to push UP on the body as a result instead of pushing the car forward.

The relocation bracket will let you relocate the back of the lower control arm attachment so the arm is now parallel to the ground or maybe at an angle down at the back. That lets you get the power to the ground and moving the car forward instead of pushing the car up.
Someone gets it.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Automatic 401A Premium
Boss Intake, Circle D 4C converter, American Racing 1 7/8 Longtubes and off road x-pipe, Kooks catback, BMR lowering springs, BMR lower control arms, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Self Tuned

2003 Mach1 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @ 25 lbs. SOLD
2.3 polished Whipple and every other mod possible
scottmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1986, 2011, 302s, 50, 93, arm, arms, boss, brackets, control, ford, kind, lower, mount, mustang, racing, relocation, svo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup