Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM
FastTraveler

Miss typed> Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me 3.7 V6.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Cool nice to hear unbiased info. I agree with the challenger looks, though I do think it needs to be lowered to offset the massive height of the body panels. The R/Ts and SRT8s look substantially better than the v6 model because of the wheels and different suspension set up. I drove a camaro and was disappointed from the lack of "kick in the pants" feel that the mustang gives, though it was a convertible.
Exactly!

Lower that Challenger! Plush interior, nice seats in the SRT8, great engine but feels heavy.

The Camaro has a very short roof line, almost rub my head on the liner. Good price, nice looks.

The Mustang is a driver's car. Best handling, great steering input and feel.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Machfive916

.373's all the way. I had them installed in my 99GT and now have them (factory option) in my 2011 GT.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

So it seems like we have come to an unanimous decision that the 3.73 rear option would be the best choice for those purely looking to get the most performance out of their Mustang!

Thanks to all who contributed on this thread, I appreciate all the comments!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by General Jack
Ha ha, yeah, well I love domestic pony cars suffice to say.

Challenger looks the best IMO, especially the R/T Classic package which is what I went with (black on black). Worst performance of the bunch... but I've gotten more compliments on that car than anything I've ever owned.

Mustang, best performance and bang for the buck by far. Most fun to drive (extrapolation from my test drive anyway...) Best sounding engine and exhaust too.

Camaro, looks good but not as good as the Challenger IMO. Performs well but not as well as the Mustang. Finishes last of the three... and I grew up a GM guy! (flame suit on)
Just found this thread going and was reading through it and saw General Jack's post about having all three ponies! First of all, very impressive that you have all three You definitely echo my sentiments though of all three! I went out and actually considered the Camaro after I had tested a new 5.0. I was surprised, disappointed that it didn't have the seat of your pants kick that I experienced in the 5.0. I knew the Challenger wouldn't be that strong but if I had wanted a car strictly for looks, the Challenger would win hands down. I say if you have any of the three, at least you are helping the pony wars live on!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Good info here on the post - thanks all

Challengers turn my head more than mustangs...

There is one BADASS green 392 SRT 8 with exhaust around town that looks killer.

I have driven a srt8 Challenger (slow model)... Was not as fast as I thought it would be, but it was fast.

I drove a camaro last year... Top half of the car is too short/narrow. Not what you'd expect when you hit 1st and 2nd, kinda sluggish... The pillar takes up a lot of room and it's hard to see when turning.

The new mustang - man I have bad luck with issues... BUT it's fast and fun to drive... Nothing like hitting 3rd and 4th on the highway... Amazing how much faster it is than my previous 07 and 99, lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM
JD_GTCS

Thanks to all who put in their thoughts on this topic! I was about to ask the very same question for my 2013 GT/CS (automatic and 3.15 gears). Having read all of these posts (along with a quick call to my local dealer) I am gonna stick with the stock gears. As it stands now, the traction control comes in far too often under "spirited driving" and with 3.55 or 3.73 gearing I would probably be looking for a way to permanently disable the traction control!

Additionally, the service manager (and my neighbor) really discouraged it since that is a major change to the drivetrain, which might give the dealer grounds to nullify a warranty if something went up in smoke.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD_GTCS
Thanks to all who put in their thoughts on this topic! I was about to ask the very same question for my 2013 GT/CS (automatic and 3.15 gears). Having read all of these posts (along with a quick call to my local dealer) I am gonna stick with the stock gears. As it stands now, the traction control comes in far too often under "spirited driving" and with 3.55 or 3.73 gearing I would probably be looking for a way to permanently disable the traction control!

Additionally, the service manager (and my neighbor) really discouraged it since that is a major change to the drivetrain, which might give the dealer grounds to nullify a warranty if something went up in smoke.
Surprising about the warranty.....might want to consider a different dealer if they have that attitude about a simple gear swap.

Its been reported that 3.31 have the best results in the quarter mile for automatics.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD_GTCS

How could they void a warranty on a stock gear ratio?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
JD_GTCS

Originally Posted by alan0614
How could they void a warranty on a stock gear ratio?
That's a good question, especially since they would be the shop doing the change to the new ratio...

I'll have to follow up with them.

Quick Reply: 3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?