Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

personally I would not choose a tune that did not have a #8 cyl warranty. that's the only way I'd be comfortable with it.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 v6 sterling grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarames View Post
Shoeys08, you can't go wrong with steeda. Personally I would go with steeda or BBR, both very thorough and conservative while making power. Plus neither of them have had any failures.
Thanks. That's what i was takking to Gus about. He said they were conservative but still make good power and that the throttle response would be noticeably better. Come on monday.

traded
2006 torch red 4.0l v6 (7/07)
2007 torch red gt (10/08)
2012 race red brembo gt (10/12)
TOTALED
2008 dk candy gt (8/15/11) sad sad day
shoeys08dkcandygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #43
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07, Ford GT

OP, unclear on the exact issue with the car ? Thew a code for misfire on #8 but car is running fine ? Did you do any investigation such as check cop or plug, reset code and disco battery etc ?
Roush M90 SC w/2.49 pulley, KB BAP, Roush CB, Hurst ss, FRPP cams, FRPP 62mm TB, Helo 20" wheels, FRPP 4.10's, BBK headers, Kicker/Shelby 8" subs, Cadence amps, Optima red top, full body kit, STB, JLT oil separators ps/ds, Cross drilled/slotted rotors, aluminum DS, Eibach struts,shocks, FRPP springs, Eibach sway bar kit, BMR panhard bar/brace, BMR LCA's, SS brake/clutch lines, GlowShift gauges, Shelby RSB/trans cooler, JLT brake cooling kit, Exedy stage 1 clutch/Flywheel
lawrencecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #44
alcarames

Vehicle: 2011 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt View Post
Thanks. That's what i was takking to Gus about. He said they were conservative but still make good power and that the throttle response would be noticeably better. Come on monday.

Gus is the man, I've met him in person and he even gave me a tour of their SF shop. He is really knowledgeable, he does most of the tuning himself. As he put it part of the reason they haven't gotten any failures is they don't mess with the timing, and the a/f ratio is kept safe, they get their power from manipulating the ti-vct of which they seem to have a pretty good understanding as to how it works.

The #8 cyl warranty is a nice peace of mind, but have they actually covered any failures that happened while running their tune? IMO the wording for their warranty leaves some gray area making it easy for them to say the #8 failure on your car was not a direct cause of their tune but rather an oil squirter. As per their warranty it has to be a direct cause of the tune.
alcarames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #45
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 5.0

Quote:
OP, unclear on the exact issue with the car ? Thew a code for misfire on #8 but car is running fine ? Did you do any investigation such as check cop or plug, reset code and disco battery etc ?
It is definately down a cylinder, running a bit rough, but no smoke other than at start-up, and no mechanical noise at idle under the hood. I have an appointment with my local shop in the morning; they will check the coil, pull the plugs, take a peek with a scope and do a leek-down test. I will know more by EOB tomorrow. I decided I wanted to know before letting the dealer take a crack at it. The light remains on even after running the mild 87 tune.

My mechanic thinks it may just be a bad coil, saying he has seen that quite a bit on the Coyote. I am sceptical given how quickly the oil went bad and the smoke on start-up, but he said fuel-in-the-oil contamination driving it 100+ miles on 7 could be to blame for that. I am praying he is right.
2011 5.0 GT Premium 6M, Brembo, 3.73, Brenspeed Stage 1 (Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Steeda/Borla Axle backs, Brenspeed/SCT 93 Race Tune), A/R Torq-Thrust (Black) 20"X8.5" Front, 20"X10" Rear, Toyo Proxis 4, 255/35's Front, 295/30's Rear

Last edited by AKElroy; 03-23-2012 at 06:45 PM.
AKElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #46
scottmach
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
personally I would not choose a tune that did not have a #8 cyl warranty. that's the only way I'd be comfortable with it.
Well that would be Bama but ironically they've had the most failures. Hence the reason they started up with their warranty in the first place.
Boss Intake, Circle D 4C converter, American Racing 1 7/8 Longtubes and off road x-pipe, Kooks catback, BMR lowering springs, BMR lower control arms, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, BMR adjustable upper control arm and mount, Strange adjustable shocks/struts

2003 Mach1 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @ 25 lbs. SOLD
2.3 polished Whipple and every other mod possible
scottmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

If you say your tunes aren't causing a #8 failure than why would you warranty the issue..who would want to be on the hook for something they didn't cause? I don't think steeda is necessarily conservative if the are boasting a 44hp gain with a tune and their steeda intake. That is far from conservative. Faced with the question of number 8 failure what else would they say? We run it to the ragged edge and good luck with the outcome? Bama does it because it is great P.R. These things failing are so few and far between the payout for covering it for a company that side would be very small. Talked to brenspeed and the say they "do not" mess with the knock values on the cylinders. So if the knock values are the same than what is causing the problem? Nobody knows. I am sure there are some cases, not refering to this one specifically, where someone is running a 93 race tune and they jam 87 octane in the car. The car has basically been retarded to the point that 93 combustion is all it understands. Jam a slower burning fuel in there and boom, pre mature combustion. Just my two cents. How many 2011 and 2012 gts are on the road? How could a problem be isolated to such a few cars. I feel for this guy if it were me I would be sick however 8-10 failures in 45-50 thousand cars or so?? Something else is up.

Loose is fast and on the edge of out of control...
2012 Mustang GT
Pypes catback super system, bbk x pipe, steeda cai, boss 302 intake, brenspeed 93 octane race tune. Steeda lower control arm upper control arm front and rear sway bars sport springs fays watts linkage system steeda shocks tri ax short shifter.
SSKILLER5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #48
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
Well that would be Bama but ironically they've had the most failures. Hence the reason they started up with their warranty in the first place.
This is faulty logic. You don't offer a warranty on something you know is going to cause a failure. That's a bad move that will likely put you out of business rather quickly.

GT500 Axle Back, resonator delete.
Thrashard340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #49
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I can't validate his statement, but if they had a few engine blow ups, that is pretty bad press. they would want to restore confidence in it, If I was confident in my product, and I wanted sales to keep going, I'd warranty it too.

you have to remember that these canned tunes are very generic and they are basically pure profit after the initial R&D and minor tweaks they make for end users.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #50
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 BOSS 302 #1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt View Post
After reading a lot and understanding it pays to play. And I'm ok with the risk. Just ordered the steeda Cai and sct3 tuner with steeda tunes and their cam idle tune. Should be on car Monday. Can't wait. Failure rate is low and steeda hasn't had a #8 issue yet. Can't wait.
Still want to know how and what u find out about ur car op.
LOL! I just said screw it also yesterday and ordered a JLT CAI with a 93oct Jon Lund tune.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 03-01-2012 at 05:43 AM.
REDBOSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #51
fordplay
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011, mustang, gt

@ alcarames, see this is how the rumors start, he says his Co-workers neighbor, just like my neighbors cousin, twice removeds brothers priest, had a failure... Its like the Trans failure video on you tube , 2 videos, 2 transmission failures and 10,000 views turns into an alleged 20,000 failures, and a safety investigation, which led to people admitting they were clutchless shifting, I agree with whoever posted and said its most likely someone running a 93 tune and 89 fuel, or maybe bad gas, I run a 93 tune and carry octane boost in the trunk in case I get a bad feeling about the gas station
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #52
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Its really funny I called american muscle out of curiosity yesterday to inquire about the warranty on #8 failure. The response I got was "im not sure if we do." Then after I explained it to him the dude on the phone said "well i'm sure we do." Then he asked me what #8 failure was and had me explain it to him. That phone call just oozed confidence. Thats why I love brenspeed. Smaller company and all car dudes you would never get that on the phone. Whats a number 8 failure and you work for a tuning company?? Just dumb.

2012 Mustang GT
Pypes catback super system, bbk x pipe, steeda cai, boss 302 intake, brenspeed 93 octane race tune. Steeda lower control arm upper control arm front and rear sway bars sport springs fays watts linkage system steeda shocks tri ax short shifter.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #53
alcarames

Vehicle: 2011 mustang gt

Fordplay, I'm not trying to star rumors I'm just stating a fact. The guy is my co-worker's neighbor, and his engine blew a number 8. I'm not going to lie and say it was my brother, or neighbor. He was running the sct tune, and his repair got covered, but this was before things got bad. Again, not spreading rumors just informing on one particular #8 that never made it to the forums. He is an older guy, if you would like more info on what dealership he went to for repair please IM me.

Either way, I feel bad for the op and wish him luck and keep us informed.
alcarames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #54
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07, Ford GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye View Post
LOL! I just said screw it also yesterday and ordered a JLT CAI with a 93oct Jon Lund tune.
Nice....
Roush M90 SC w/2.49 pulley, KB BAP, Roush CB, Hurst ss, FRPP cams, FRPP 62mm TB, Helo 20" wheels, FRPP 4.10's, BBK headers, Kicker/Shelby 8" subs, Cadence amps, Optima red top, full body kit, STB, JLT oil separators ps/ds, Cross drilled/slotted rotors, aluminum DS, Eibach struts,shocks, FRPP springs, Eibach sway bar kit, BMR panhard bar/brace, BMR LCA's, SS brake/clutch lines, GlowShift gauges, Shelby RSB/trans cooler, JLT brake cooling kit, Exedy stage 1 clutch/Flywheel
lawrencecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #55
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 premuim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKILLER5.0 View Post
Its really funny I called american muscle out of curiosity yesterday to inquire about the warranty on #8 failure. The response I got was "im not sure if we do." Then after I explained it to him the dude on the phone said "well i'm sure we do." Then he asked me what #8 failure was and had me explain it to him. That phone call just oozed confidence. Thats why I love brenspeed. Smaller company and all car dudes you would never get that on the phone. Whats a number 8 failure and you work for a tuning company?? Just dumb.

You called american muscle about their tunes? You know that BAMA does the tuning and it's a different phone number right? american muscle is 866-727-1266 and BAMA is 888-226-9764...

I'm betting you called their parts number... different group. bama offers the warranty. (they used to be separate, I dont know the details but sometime in the past few years they merged)

As far as who has the most failures brenspeed and bama are both up there, likely tied for the most, but they are also the 2 most popular tuners, i'm sure if you did a percentage of failures they are just as low as everyone else.

Automatic, Steeda CAI, 4.10 gears, Boss Intake, BBR O/R X, Steeda Tune, M&H Drag Radials.
12.6@112mph (DA corrected 11.7@119mph)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpOnFire View Post
mishri created the universe

Last edited by Mishri; 03-01-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #56
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
You called american muscle about their tunes? You know that BAMA does the tuning and it's a different phone number right? american muscle is 866-727-1266 and BAMA is 888-226-9764...

I'm betting you called their parts number... different group. bama offers the warranty. (they used to be separate, I dont know the details but sometime in the past few years they merged)

As far as who has the most failures brenspeed and bama are both up there, likely tied for the most, but they are also the 2 most popular tuners, i'm sure if you did a percentage of failures they are just as low as everyone else.
Had no idea thanks..never really done business with those guys for performance parts or tunes. I would say however that dude should have been smart enough to pass me along to the right person. Nothing like answering questions you know nothing about..thanks for the heads up though

2012 Mustang GT
Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #57
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 premuim

Yeah, he probably should have directed you to BAMA, he was probably trying to make a sale, i'm sure he works on commission. He can sell all the parts to you then send you over to bama, because they'll need to talk to you about the car and what tunes you'll want.

Automatic, Steeda CAI, 4.10 gears, Boss Intake, BBR O/R X, Steeda Tune, M&H Drag Radials.
12.6@112mph (DA corrected 11.7@119mph)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpOnFire View Post
mishri created the universe
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #58
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 5.0

OK, verdict is on the damage, and as feared I have zero compression on #8. This sucks. I will take it to the dealer next week to see what they are willing to do. My guy felt certain they would cover this. He said no way a reputable tune would cause this kind of damage without a production flaw in the motor. Let's see if our friends at Ford step up---More to follow.
2011 5.0 GT Premium 6M, Brembo, 3.73, Brenspeed Stage 1 (Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Steeda/Borla Axle backs, Brenspeed/SCT 93 Race Tune), A/R Torq-Thrust (Black) 20"X8.5" Front, 20"X10" Rear, Toyo Proxis 4, 255/35's Front, 295/30's Rear

Last edited by AKElroy; 03-23-2012 at 06:47 PM.
AKElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #59
Entaille
4th Gear Member

best of luck broham. kudos for being honest. I hope it pays off.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #60
GT/CS_2011
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011, GT, CS
Gregory T Allen

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I hope it turns out good for you.
GT/CS_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
50, 8, council, coyote, engine, florida, issue, mustang, piston, planning, powered, problems, regional, southwest, vbulletin