Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Sand4u
1st Gear Member

Good luck, I sure hope it all works out! I am keeping up with this thread for sure.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
GT/CS_2011
1st Gear Member

Default troubleshooting

JMHO, but don't be driving it or motoring the engine until you know what is wrong. You don't want turn something minor into a major overhaul.

It could be the spark plug insulators blown apart, electrode damaged, head gasket blown, and numerous other less sever damage that may be an inexpensive fix. Hopefully, you have not trashed the cylinder wall, piston, valves or anything else too bad.

I would want to know what is wrong, before I take it to the dealership.

Some of the things I would do before I take it to ford is:

1) do some physical diagnostics. ensure everything is correctly connected
2) pull the plug to the #8 and see if it is damaged/burned/big gap etc....
3) look in the cylinder with a bore scope and try to see if there is physical damage.
4) check compression on suspect cylinder
5) if I can't find out exactly what is wrong, I get an independent shop to troubleshoot it. Maybe they can find something minor that is wrong.

I would try to diagnose what is wrong before the Ford dealership .

Also, if you know what is wrong with it and then take it to the dealership, maybe you will have some luck with a warranty claim if sounds like you know what you are talking about.

I wish you the best of luck
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Prayers going out to you brother..that would make me sick. I agree brenspeed has a solid reputation. I run the 93 race in mine. Had it for 4500 miles no issues. I agree with a previous post the 05-10 tuned cars had no problems at all now all of a sudden with 11-12 there are issues. Ford will hide behind the problem because they can..they can always claim it was the tune..
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

When you were running the tune before it went did you noticr any pinging or anything at the upper rpm range?
No pinging, I have been running the 93 race tune for 12 months with no issues. About 40 miles of highway before getting the light, I had two 4th gear roll-ons with another mustang, but there was no abuse and no over-revving, and the car pulled strong and sounded great. (That was a humiliating event; the guy came around me like I was sitting still with twin turbos and 700+ RWHP on a 2004 Cobra). 40 calm highway miles later, I had no light. It was not until I reached my destination and hit stop & go traffic that the light came on. Car sounded fine with no smoke, and no discernable loss of power.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Wow this sucks, I just bought some axle backs and was pretty hell bent on buying a CAI and a tune next month but it seems like one of these pop up every couple of months. Good luck and I'm sure that this thread will be followed by many.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
stang8psi
1st Gear Member

good luck op
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Wow this sucks, I just bought some axle backs and was pretty hell bent on buying a CAI and a tune next month but it seems like one of these pop up every couple of months. Good luck and I'm sure that this thread will be followed by many.
Me too. Just about to order from steeda last nite and started reading this thread. Been debating b/w brenspeed and steeda but it seems that something in these motors that just don't like being tuned. Not sure if I'm willing to chance take the chance. And steeda has never had a #8 cyclinder pop with their tunes. Gonna think about this some more.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Steeda also doesn't sell many tunes compared to brenspeed and BAMA. figure brenspeed probably has a 1 in 1,000 issue on their hands (i'm not sure how many cars they've tuned for in the 2011+5.0s). BAMA offers a warranty so if this does happen they'll pay to fix it if ford denies warranty. I'd get BAMA and not look back or worry.

At this point if OP had a bama tune, he'd just let bama know, then take it into the dealership to see whats wrong. If they refuse to warranty it then he'd use the bama warranty.. none of this chaning out mods, taking it to other people and paying others... If it was an option for me I'd be using BAMA right now, but I can't get the warranty because i've had SCT and BBR tunes before they offered it.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Seriously guys, I know it makes you worry, but there are thousands of cars out there running tunes, just because a handful of people have been unlucky, it shouldn't change your mind on whether or not to tune your own vehicle.

Whats it going to take, the thousands of people out there to start threads saying that their car is running fine?

Yea its disturbing and makes you second think tuning your car, but it wont stop me from putting my JLT CAI and BAMA tune on my car when the weather gets nicer here.

I have the BAMA warranty for my piece of mind.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I too have Bama, and am glad I do especially with their warranty on #8 cylinder.
Don't get me wrong, Brenspeed is also a reputable tuner, and I have 100% faith that Steeda is just as good.
I just prefer the AM & Bama guaranty. I am close to buying some more tunes for some octanes I do not have yet, and Bama is my next stop.

Regardless, OP, my hopes and prayers do go out to you, a car over $30,000 is not cheap to fix. And it is a total kick in the ***** when your pride and joy is damaged.
Good luck to you, regardless of the outcome.

Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP