Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bolt-Ons and Warranty Voids

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
CAV TOUGH

Default Bolt-Ons and Warranty Voids

Over the weekend I picked up my '12 GT base model. I plan on putting a few miles on it before I start with some MODs, but have already started looking at what I want to attack first. CAI w/ tune, exhaust, tires/wheels, cosmetics, sound system.

My concerns are on adding something that will void the factory warranty. I'm looking at either the Steeda or JLT CAI with tuner. I understand I'll get some increased HP with the CAI alone, but the real power comes with the tuning. Is there one brand of tuner better than the other? AmericanMuscle seems to be pushing the Bama tuner. Regardless of tuner...will messing with my ECU void my warranty?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Short answer: Yes. Modifying the tune will void the warranty.

Talk to your dealership. NOT the sales guy. Talk to the SERVICE MANAGER. NOT the Quick Lane Manager. Sit down w/ the SERVICE MANAGER and ask very specific questions. "Will doing THIS void any warranty?" "What if I have it installed at a Ford Dealership?" And, NO MATTER WHAT....if he says it is warrantied after ANY modification, get it in writing!!! Have him type something up, sign and date it, and YOU sign and date it as well. Have a witness there w/ you to sign and date as well. There have been a LOT of guys that where "told" that modifying the car would be warrantied, and when it came down to a #8 piston popping, Ford and the Dealer said, "Prove that you were told that."
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM
alcarames

Ditty is right. Only sad thing is even if the service manager tells you you're good using this tune or that tune if anything ever did happen ultimatley it's ford who pays for the repair and if they say no then the despite what the service manager told you it wont happen. The dealer wont cover the repair on their own dime. All that would do for the individual who signs something like that is get them fired.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Ditty and alcarames have given you some good info. When or if a warranty issues arises and mods are involved it can take time to resolve. Bottom line if you can't afford to replace what breaks don't mod it until the warranty is expired.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

No offense but this subject is wearing me the hell out. Not that people are asking the questions but that ford has made it as such. People have been modding mustangs forever and now its an issue? I know it isn't just ford but these penny pinching *** clowns just pluck my last nerve. At least we didn't bail out ford so I can't yell at them for that
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

the problem, as tuning and modding has become more prevalent, so has the amount of people who pushed the car too far.. blown something up, put their car back to stock and taken it in to be fixed on Ford's dime.

now that technology has caught up and they can monitor/prevent this from happening, it's become an 'issue/concern'.

I wouldn't say they are pinching pennys, they are covering their own *** and trying to weed out paying for someone else' mistakes.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Bacially, today you have to be VERY responsible when modifying your vehicle, regardless of what it is. A tune is definately going to throw up a red flag. Any other 'non-factory' parts are going to do the same thing. The car was designed and built to operate w/in a set of parameters. Anything outside those parameters is outside the factory warranty.

I would discuss any plans for the vehicle before performing them. I've already discussed the few items that I would like to do w/ my dealership. Things like installing Boss Seats, Boss Steering Wheel, different axle-back mufflers/muffler deletes, different grill, have all been discussed. For the most part, the obtrusive installs like the seats and steering wheel will have to be installed at the dealer by their mechanic to still have the warranty on that part of the car due to the airbags and safety requirements. They (Service Manager) recommended that exhaust and grill also be done at the dealer or at least a reputable shop (aka not doing it myself). I LOVE wrenching on cars and trucks so that was a little of a bummer. I talked to him about an aftermarket shifter, and he told me that as long as it did not affect the manner in which the shifter mechanism functioned, that would be OK...(and that I should not be the one installing it.)

This is ALL to cover the dealer, Ford's, and YOUR butt in the event that something happened.

Lets say your electronic throttle motor goes out....while you're at the track ripping off 12.2 sec 1/4 miles all night on a Friday test and tune at 112mph. You walk into the dealership, "Yeah. I was at the track and my throttle won't work. It's like the motor in the TB is seized." You potentially just voided your warranty. Why? B/c you just admitted to operating the car outside of it's design limits; you took it to the track. Mitsubishi was doing this on the Evo back some years ago when customers were having transfer case issues. They voided warranties for guys taking their cars out auto-x-ing. (Hell, they were setting up 'stings' on internet forums just like this and saving pictures and videos from forum members. "Mr. Doe. Remember when you went to VIR in Sept and tracked your 5000 mile Evo? Yeah. We are declining all powertrain warranties b/c you took the car to the track. We have proof." It happened. I know it sounds stupid and most of us have taken the car out to the track at least once, but Ford doesn't see it like that. Ford sees that you've 'abused' the car and can void the warranty if they want to. Will they? Probably not. Can they? YES!

The choice is yours. Consult the dealership before performing any modification. If they'll warranty the car after the mod, then do it; if not, make sure you have the $$$ to fix the car if anything goes wrong.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
CAV TOUGH

Thanks all for the responses.

I pick up my car tmrw from the dealer. I'll definitely have a sit down with the service manager to outline what I plan on doing to the car. I don't plan on taking it to the track, I'm not that serious about it. I just enjoy getting the most out of my engine and feeling that extra pull in the seat when you get on it. I've spent the money on my pony car...I'm going to make it my own. Again, thanks for the responses. I'll be back on here to get yalls opinion on some of your favorite MODs.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
the problem, as tuning and modding has become more prevalent, so has the amount of people who pushed the car too far.. blown something up, put their car back to stock and taken it in to be fixed on Ford's dime.

now that technology has caught up and they can monitor/prevent this from happening, it's become an 'issue/concern'.

I wouldn't say they are pinching pennys, they are covering their own *** and trying to weed out paying for someone else' mistakes.
I appreciate what you say brother but we will have to agree to disagree. These engines and transmissions are put through some brutal stress test and come out smelling like roses. You cannot tell me that a CAI and a tune from a reputable shop should be blowing these engines up. I understand cases of forced induction etc. but this has gone way to far. Heck ford makes their own aftermarket racing parts do they blow up the car as well? So a tune from steeda and a CAI from steeda that has been making mustang parts forever suddenly voids a warranty? Just has gone a little to far for my taste.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Powertrain warranty voidance is conducted at a dealership level. Ford does not involve itself with warranty voidances. As far as I know, Ford only decides whether or not it will pay the dealership for your repairs.

In other words, I would have a talk with your dealership's service manager before doing anything you aren't comfortable with.

Quick Reply: Bolt-Ons and Warranty Voids