Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
View Poll Results: Best axleback exhaust without drone or excessive sound
Flowmaster Hushpower
11.11%
Roush
31.48%
GT500
20.37%
stock
0%
other
37.04%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

I already made up my mind. I think that the best choice (for me) will be the GT500 axleback, for the reasons mentioned, (not drone, no getting atention from the PD), great sound and price. (I'm planning to keep the GT500 axleback exhaust, stock for the moment without the X Pipe or without removing the resonators.)
My second choice if I was not interested on the points mentioned above (drone, PD) , was the Roush axleback exhaust, mentioned by "Car and Driver" as one of their favorite exhausts sounds, and they really sound great (but very loud for my taste).
Flowmaster Hushpower,probably will fall somewhere in the middle, also a good choice.
On other axleback I can not comment, since I'm not well related to them, probably they also should be good, depending on personal choice.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbstang13
Thinking about doing that to my Boss; do you have a sound clip of your exhaust posted up anywhere?
I don't have a sound clip yet the only video camera is the one on my phone and it doesn't record sound very well.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Here's a little vid of mine

windows are up, so its quieter then usual

I do have drone, but nothing you cant fisx with turning up the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTd6...6Mx1kRTNIOgds=
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, get the Roush. You will be happy.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Irishone

I have a roush exhaust on my 5.0 and I love it. It is loud when it needs to be and does not drone. It has a good idle but not too excessive but when you step on it all hell breaks loose.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
beefcake
1st Gear Member

Love the Stainless works and it will save you nearly 30 pounds over stock
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
TimmyC

Default I vote Borla Atak!

After listening endlessly to youtube exhaust video's, I fell in love with Borla Atak. Great sound throughout RPM range. Expensive, but I'm betting it's sound quality is second to none. Deep throaty sound nice rumble. A week or so ago, I drove a 2012 6spd supercharged Roush mustang. For pure value and quality, I would pick this muffler. Driving around town - in cockpit - windows up - sound of this axleback can not be beat - just right volume and rumble. Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt local law enforcement would let me keep either the Atak or Roush. The dealer explained it perfectly. If axleback is original equipment on car, police can't do squat. You install it = different story! In the end, I picked Ford Racing's M-5230- MGTLA Sport axleback. It's an oval shaped, chambered muffler made from from 304 stainless with a polished, rolled edge tip stamped with Ford Racing logo on top. not cheap - $700ish. Louder than GT500, quieter than Roush or Atak. Near as I can tell from youtube, sound not as refined as Borla, but pretty nice quality semi-deep tone. Ordered it Today from the good folks at American Muscle. Will give an update on how it sounds after I install. This will be my first mod at 5000mi - Kona blue 2012 6spd 330 Thanks for reading. All the best, Tim
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
beefcake
1st Gear Member

In 13 years of loud high performance stuff, i have never been bothered for loud exhaust.

I always run long tube, offroad setups
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
TimmyC

Default Installed Ford Racing sport axleback today.

Today had my car on jackstands - old mufflers uninstalled - just waitin for the UPS truck to bring new FR M-5230-MGTLA sport axlebacks. About 3:30 pm they arrived and course I immediatley got busy installing them. I took my time - dropped the panhard bar to get clearance for Driver's side removal and install. Completely removed rear hangers. Jacked over axle pipes up out of the way with piece of wood and small hydraulic hand jack for clearance for both removal and install. removed passenger side hanger completely for install as new muffler hangers too long. Spent about 2 1/2 hours all told. Nice 4" polished tips with rolled edges and Ford Racing logo on top. This chambered oval shaped muffler is smaller and lighter than stock.
Another nice bonus is you don't see the muffler body under the rear valance like stock. They look good and i managed to get a nice alignment. Started it up and noticed it had a slightly deeper tone. That's it , they are only slightly louder than stock, other than that, the sound is no different whatsoever. $700.00 and I am so dissapointed, I almost feel like selling the car.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

ebay, try to get most of your money back and go with roush

Quick Reply: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0