Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cold Air Induction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
CAMS5762

Default Cold Air Induction?

Anybody have thoughts on which setup is best? I've done some looking at the options and they all appear to be about the same to me. Anybody with experience in this area have any thoughts?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's all about additional airflow to the engine and all of the tune-required CAI's are equivaleent in performance. Don't get hung-up on the "cold" nomenclature; you're still pulling in warm air to the point that you'd barely notice it (and probably couldn't) on the dyno even if you COULD pull in air from outside the engine compartment. And of course, to make use of that additional airflow and make some power from it, you need a tune, period. A stand-alone CAI is near-useless.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CAMS5762
Anybody have thoughts on which setup is best? I've done some looking at the options and they all appear to be about the same to me. Anybody with experience in this area have any thoughts?
There's a poster over on SVTPerformance that did a comparo at the Texas Mile. He found no measurable difference in top speed (about 170MPH) between the stock intake and a cone-filter CAI. He did find a difference of about 2 MPH by taping over the gaps between the body panels, so it's a pretty sensitive way to measure engine performance in the real world.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

I've heard good things about all of the tune required CAI's. I saw some data that showed they were all pretty much the same though.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Sand4u
1st Gear Member

You might find this post interesting

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...look-here.html
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
CAMS5762

Originally Posted by Sand4u
You might find this post interesting

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...look-here.html
AWESOME THREAD! just what I was looking for. Hard facts are hard to deny. Thanks for that, look's like I'll go for personal preference and then just pick the right tune. (that sounds difficult too...the RIGHT tune...)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
theboss499

I had a 2012 GT which I put a Steeda CAI and their 93 Octane Tune. The car was new with only 250 miles on it when I put it on but I did drive it hard enough to validate that the CAI and Tune make a noticeable difference in throttle response and low/midrange (<6K RPM) power. The Steeda CAI quality is good. I traded the GT (with stock CAI and tune) in on a BOSS 302. I will be putting the Steeda CAI, SCT Tuner, Ford Racing BOSS 302 Intake Manifold and ford install kit on the market very soon at a reasonable price if you are interested.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by theboss499
I had a 2012 GT which I put a Steeda CAI and their 93 Octane Tune. The car was new with only 250 miles on it when I put it on but I did drive it hard enough to validate that the CAI and Tune make a noticeable difference in throttle response and low/midrange (<6K RPM) power. The Steeda CAI quality is good. I traded the GT (with stock CAI and tune) in on a BOSS 302. I will be putting the Steeda CAI, SCT Tuner, Ford Racing BOSS 302 Intake Manifold and ford install kit on the market very soon at a reasonable price if you are interested.
Just curious cause I've been contemplating trading my 2012 for a boss. Did it kill you trading that new of a car for another car? That's what has been keeping me from doing it is the thought of losing my butt on the trade
Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 AM
theboss499

Originally Posted by Enochius
Just curious cause I've been contemplating trading my 2012 for a boss. Did it kill you trading that new of a car for another car? That's what has been keeping me from doing it is the thought of losing my butt on the trade
I bought a 2012 GT Premium Manual Brembo for $33K in Sept. 2011. Traded it in for $31K (had less that 1K miles and was cleaner than when I drove it off the showroom floor and all stock) Feb. 2012 for a 2012 BOSS 302 Recaro/Torsen Helical/Cover for MSRP $43,575. Was it worth it? The GT was a very nice car with better interior and stereo, basically the same brakes, same type P Zero tires (BOSS has wider rears), same rear gear ratio (3.73) same notchy transmission (weak link along with drive shaft in my opinion, drive shaft can be fixed easily, transmission not so much!). The BOSS has slightly stiffer and adjustable suspension, much better rear diff, and an engine that is designed to REV all day. I am doing track days so I was worried I would destroy the GT so I traded for the BOSS, if you are only going to trash your GT for a handful of minutes at a time you could put a Ford Racing BOSS Intake Manifold w/tune on you GT and it would perform pretty darn close. I have had the Trackey put on (what a pain!), removed the exhaust plates (so who needs a nice stereo), have a Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter & Bushing, Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft, K&N Air Filter, Ford Racing Brake Duct kit and Transmission Cooling Scoop so far in two months. So no matter what you get you always dump more money into.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAMS5762
Steeda.

Let me tell you why though.

Our CAI utilizes the factory cold air duct and features a lifetime high-flow filter and a velocity stack entry. It's made in the USA and features a lifetime warranty.

Our CAI does require a tuner/tune though as it increases airflow too much over OEM that the MAF sensor can't adjust properly for it.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Induction?