Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

11' GT Hesitation, surging, during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Thanks chris for clearing that up for me. I was worried there might be something wrong with my car. Now, I understand why it does it
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

mine does this too, and i only have borla cat backs on it so far. i dont remember if it done it stock or not, as i put the exhaust on almost as soon as i got it.

i chalked it up to them just being cold natured. ive had other vehicles do this too. its not even an issue for me. just let it warm up a little longer and its not near as bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Hi Guys....Same story here with the JLT CAI and Bama Tune, mine is a 2013 GT Manual. I also have a bbk 85mm throttle body and Boss Manifold, but it did this before I added those last two items....

It's from a cold start at pretty much any temperature outside. Letting the car run for 5 or 10 minutes usually smooths it all out without issue, except that it's a major inconvenience to idle the car for that long when I'm out at the store or the mall or something.

I've tried a couple of new tunes from Bama, who has been really helpful on everthing so far, but no luck.

I was thinking of starting with removing the JLT CAI, has anyone had success with this?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Code Vision
Hi Guys....Same story here with the JLT CAI and Bama Tune, mine is a 2013 GT Manual. I also have a bbk 85mm throttle body and Boss Manifold, but it did this before I added those last two items....

It's from a cold start at pretty much any temperature outside. Letting the car run for 5 or 10 minutes usually smooths it all out without issue, except that it's a major inconvenience to idle the car for that long when I'm out at the store or the mall or something.

I've tried a couple of new tunes from Bama, who has been really helpful on everthing so far, but no luck.

I was thinking of starting with removing the JLT CAI, has anyone had success with this?
JLT cai has the "loudest" MAF signal out of any of the CAI's. Some tuners have worked very very hard at tuning this out and some had success. Search on any forum and you will see that ALMOST everyone with a JLT has/had surging.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Baby it when cold. I don't break 2200 rpm until my oil reaches normal level. I use the digital gauge on my LCD screen when I fire the car up until I hit the green. I love it. I think it's the car being picky
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah also are you guys letting your cars warm up at all? I have witnessed many people just hop in their cars on a cold start, let it idle for 15 seconds, than start driving. My car is garage kept, and even still I let it idle for 2-3 minutes and let it warm up a little before I start driving.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah also are you guys letting your cars warm up at all? I have witnessed many people just hop in their cars on a cold start, let it idle for 15 seconds, than start driving. My car is garage kept, and even still I let it idle for 2-3 minutes and let it warm up a little before I start driving.
I can't do that anymore! I live in condos now and I am in line with 3 other double garages and there are 4 others facing e ones I am in a row in. Exhaust echoes so bad and I leave at 515 every morning. I start up in reverse clutch it out and drive stupid slow until the oil heats up lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the tune or cai. I run the Ford Racing Procal and stock cai and I have the same problem when the car is warming up. These cars do seem to be a little picky. I just take it easy til the heads reach 200° and then it runs fine.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:54 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Clean the MAF first, then pull the plugs and see what's going on inside the engine. Disconnect the batt first before pulling plugs so you don't zap the main fuse.

If the plugs look ok, you might as well do a compression test while you have the plugs out.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 AM
pmer

I have the same problem, does it even when the car is warmed up. Only at low/mid range rpms though.

Quick Reply: 11' GT Hesitation, surging, during acceleration