Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Livnlow

Vehicle: 11, Mustang GT CS
Default 11' GT Hesitation, surging, during acceleration

I apologize for the long post but want to provide as much info as I can in hopes of someone being able to help me out. I have a 6 sp 11' GT. I've had the JLT CAI and Bama tunes for at least 5 months now. I originally ran 87 tunes and then decided I wanted to get all the power I could, so I requested 93 tunes. At the same time, I had a Flowmaster cat-back installed. Ever since the new tunes and exhaust were added, I get a hesitation/jerking when accelerating (not even WOT). It is worse at cold starts and gradually improves as I drive. Working with Bama I've tried the idle relearn process twice, battery disconnected for 10 mins with high beam switch on, batt disconnected for 4 hours, switched stations where I purchase gas, removed and reinstalled the intake, and tried using 91 tunes. All this has managed to do is move the range I feel the hesitation from 2K-3K to now about 2500-4000. I'm really out of ideas and am willing to try almost anything short of an exorcism or voo doo witch doctor. Anyone?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Livnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
waykooljr
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Have you changed your fuel filter?

I had these same symptoms on my '06, I cleaned my throttle body first, which was an amazing improvement. Then changed the fuel filter and it got even better.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Livnlow

Vehicle: 11, Mustang GT CS

You think fuel filter with less than 8,000 miles on the car?
Livnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
waykooljr
2nd Gear Member

I don't think so but it is possible and the symptoms are in line with what I went through.

Car was running fine, changed the battery out and it started running poorly, surging, stalling and rough idle. Tried the relearning process several times, no go. Cleaned the throttle body and changed the fuel filter as recommended here at MF, it's running like a champ now.

Might be worth it to at least check the throttle body, I know mine was easy to remove, not sure about the 5.0.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 5.0

Just want to stop in and say that the 2011+ models don't have changeable fuel filters. They are in-tank and are maintenance free. So the problem likely lies elsewhere

My View on the Economy: www.cgeconomics.com
pdonket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012

I have the same issue in my '12. It first started when i put my axle back, CAI, and Bama tune on. I run a 93 tune all the time, never put 87 in it. Mine only does it with a cold start up though, once it gets up to temp it runs/idles fine. I would like to know why it does that though. If you find out anything else let me know. I may try some of the suggestions listed above.
CrzyHrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
waykooljr
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonket View Post
Just want to stop in and say that the 2011+ models don't have changeable fuel filters. They are in-tank and are maintenance free. So the problem likely lies elsewhere
Sorry LivnLow, I did not know this, thanks for the correction pdonket.

Just trying to help, I know how it feels when your baby isn't running well.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

I have the same problem on my 12 GT. My car is completely stock. It only does it before it warms up. Once the car hits normal operating temperature it doesn't do it at all.
Enochius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
allenmaty

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

Mine has 4K miles on it and it does it when cold, but only for the first min, sometimes I start in 2nd for the first couple of min to minimize the jerking, I really didn't think much of it until I saw your post.

Custom ordered 2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, 3.73 rear, Over the Top White Stripe and Optional 18" Polished Wheels. Built on Jan 4th, 2012.
Added: 2013GT Splash Guards, Ford GT Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights,Moroso Air/Oil Separator, J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms.
allenmaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

To the OP....try going back to the stock tune, run '93 for a tank+ and see how it is. If it is still there, than it is a stock car issue, if it is gone, it is a aftermarket tune issue. Then deal with the proper business to fix said issues.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 2012, 2013, automatic, gt, gtcs, hesitates, hesitation, mustang, optional, polished, powered, suspension, vbulletin, wheels