Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help - CAI and Tune - or Just a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by joey7489
Isnt it funny that the CAIs with NO tune don't pick up any HP? You know why that is? Because the CAI doesn't add anything to the car. It's the TUNE that picks up HP not the CAI. Lol.
Not true. Airaid was tested with no tune and did pick up 9rwhp/8rwtq

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...e-install.html
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Not true. Airaid was tested with no tune and did pick up 9rwhp/8rwtq

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...e-install.html
They really didn't test all variables. They didn't test it with a drop in high flow filter.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
No one said it does not show on the dyno but many have track tested with and without CAI with no gains in 1/4 times.
10whp=.1 ET. Who has done this back to back test at the dragstrip? did he correct for DA changes? does he run so consistently that he wont see a .1 slower/faster ET? was his tune setup for it? generally on the 2011+ mustangs you can run an aftermarket CAI without tuning for it, but it will run lean and you can get a trouble code if you run it hard, but not always. So who knows if any fuel trims were adjusted or not for running with the CAI.

Last edited by Mishri; 07-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah it seems that the CAI shows on the dyno, but is within margins on the track. I guess it depends on your goals then. I am happy with my Steeda, it sounds badass which increases my driving enjoyment, therefore, was worth the money to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That gain with just a CAI included some badges that they failed to mention. It was the BADGES that provided the gain.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
That gain with just a CAI included some badges that they failed to mention. It was the BADGES that provided the gain.
+1!!! Finally, someone who gets it!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
JD_GTCS

As someone with a new pony, I LOVE this thread. The stock airbox on my 2013 is labeled "cold air induction" which I took to be the same as the aftermarket cold air intake systems. The only difference I can see is that the stock box has a cover of its own as opposed to using the hood to finish off the aftermarket "box" setup.

I opted for a BAMACHIP's tune, K&N drop-in filter, and Flowmaster American Thunder Classic axle-back (which arguably is only for the noise factor) and I feel a lot better about the way I went.

All that said, I look forward to more posts/opinions in this thread!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

I'm probably going to just do the same with mine. So far I only have the American Thunder exhaust. As soon as I close on my house I'll be able to do the tune and add LT headers. I think I'll leave it alone after that.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

personally, I'd drop 300$ for the sound alone. the power gains and engine bay looks are added bonuses in my eyes. I don't care how little it gains - it's worth it to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
personally, I'd drop 300$ for the sound alone. the power gains and engine bay looks are added bonuses in my eyes. I don't care how little it gains - it's worth it to me.
Yeah agreed. The CAIs do account for a bit of a gain, but its the sound that made it worth it to me. The car sounds like an animal with that Steeda on there. That increases my driving enjoyment, and as such, was worth the extra money.

Quick Reply: Help - CAI and Tune - or Just a Tune?