Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

mods compliment tune best

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

430-440whp with just some bolt-ons is pretty durn fast, especially compared to the mustang 10 years ago, full bolt ons was around 260whp

I'm impressed with these engines. I'll be more impressed when we stop having reports of cylinder issues though
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbaty08
Exactly; SKIP the aftermarket CAI people!!!!!
Bama shows some good numbers.
http://blog.americanmuscle.com/2011-...e-power-gains/

Here are some other dyno numbers.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tune-rwhp.html
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Will2Iam
That's a great link Will2Iam! You guys should definitely check out this video so you can see how the 4v 5.0s do with and without a CAI. Nothing like a back to back comparison!

Shane
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Dyno numbers with an open hood don't mean jack. Plus Bama makes money selling CAI's.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hmm so you have a CAI but are arguing against them? I've seen plenty of people with nothing to gain out of it report gains of 10-15whp off of adding a CAI. I really don't want to search for them but if I have to I will because I'm getting tired of people claiming CAI's don't do anything on these cars when they clearly do.

The only time I'd say it might not be worth it is if you don't want any other mods, because 10whp isn't much of a difference. Cooler air temps and higher barometric pressure gives you more whp. On the other hand, if you are aiming to get as much performance out of your car as you can then it's worth it.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
hmm so you have a CAI but are arguing against them? I've seen plenty of people with nothing to gain out of it report gains of 10-15whp off of adding a CAI. I really don't want to search for them but if I have to I will because I'm getting tired of people claiming CAI's don't do anything on these cars when they clearly do.

The only time I'd say it might not be worth it is if you don't want any other mods, because 10whp isn't much of a difference. Cooler air temps and higher barometric pressure gives you more whp. On the other hand, if you are aiming to get as much performance out of your car as you can then it's worth it.
I have the JLT CAI for looks only. You don't want to search because you have no proof. And this coming from the guy running 4.10's and can't get out of the 12's. Yea, you're a real good one to give out advice.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Maybe here is an article that can help provide some support on the value of a CAI/Tune.

This high performance CAI effectively opens up the intake system of Ford’s new five-liter power plant and allows it to breath much more freely than the stock intake system allows – effectively taking the 2011 5.0L Mustang to the next level of muscle car performance.

How did we do it? Well to ensure the densest air charge possible we retained the factory cold air feed ducting from the front bumper and sealed the stainless steel shield to the hood to prevent any hot air from being sucked in from around the engine compartment. Other manufacturers have chosen to ignore the factory cold air ducting which is key to keeping the lowest air charge temperatures possible. Also, we added a billet aluminum velocity stack and high flow air filter ensure a clean, cool, streamlined air charge straight to the engine. The new high flow “ProFlow” intake tube provides the necessary ports to retain the factory noise tube and PCV tubes.

You can read the full article about the 2011 Mustang Breaking 11 seconds with a CAI/Tune here..

http://www.steedablog.com/2010/11/20...ld-air-intake/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

I bought a CAI and tuner. I have no regrets. Ran with and without CAI. CAI made my gt a different beast. IMO it is very much worth it. Cheers man C[_]
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I bought a CAI and tuner. I have no regrets. Ran with and without CAI. CAI made my gt a different beast. IMO it is very much worth it. Cheers man C[_]
I'd love for you to post up the data to back this claim up. What were your track times before and after the CAI?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
I'd love for you to post up the data to back this claim up. What were your track times before and after the CAI?
Maybe he felt the difference IE "seat of the pants". Just curious why you are so anti CAI? If one wishes to think it makes the car perform better, then so be it. Seems like companies have some data backing it. Really shouldn't be that big of a deal in all honesty. Cheers!

Quick Reply: mods compliment tune best