Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

#8 cylinder issue(tune /warranty issue)WHAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangergt
What is happening here. I want to so bad get a tune and C&L CAI,,from C&L.
But gees,,all I do is read about problems. Heaven forbid you do a simple mod and something go wrong. Ford saying "oh no,,you have modded, no warranty".

Why with all this possible bad WHY would anyone chance on engine problem, warranty problem. It is enough to scare the hell out of you.

Who has the guts?
Who has had modded, and by that I mean just tune and CAI, and had went to dealer for some issue and had no warranty issue even brought up?

Mod or not mod,,,thats the question.
mustangergt,

I would not worry too much about the cylinder #8 problems, personally. They are very few and far between, I definitely would not call it "common." A big reason Bama can even offer our cylinder #8 warranty is because we know our tunes are extremely safe and there's so few #8 failures out there to begin with!

Bama is apart of the Ford/SEMA Technology Sharing Program to always make sure our Bama tunes are up to OE quality. We've sent out thousands of Mustang tunes to our customers and have had excellent feedback. All of our testing is done on local streets/tracks and on our DynoJet 224xlc. There's over 30+ AM/Employee cars that are constantly testing with new and old parts from our warehouse, right up the street!

Check out some of our testing on Project Black Out, which is a 2012 GT that our Facebook fans picked and we built up in 4 stages!

AM/Bama also offers our Free Tunes for Life program, which will give you free tune updates anytime you add more bolt-on mods. This is really helpful when you take the next step and add mods like exhaust or are TB!

If you decide to go with a CAI/Bama package, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 08-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

ford will never do it. look at all the 5.4 blowing spark plugs and all the f-150's blowing head gaskets and intakes gaskets...i have one such f-150...i love my new stang(i have 5 fox body cars to) but one day they will have camaro quality engines...
Originally Posted by UberDuper
Until Ford accepts liability for a defect that results in the #8 failure or a tuner proclaims "we have identified the problem and we guarantee our tunes will not cause it" I'm just going to stay away from the tuners.

I bought my GT because I wanted a 400hp car. I have it and it's not worth the risk to me for an extra ~10%. I'll put my money into handling and appearance.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

i have yet to find if it has any horse power gain?...have you by chance?....
Originally Posted by Mudflap
It seems that very few people have had #8 cylinder issues as compared to the total number of cars sold. We're likely talking less than 1% as far as I can tell. IF you put an aftermarket tune on the car and it does blow, Ford likely won't cover it. Why should they after all?

If you want to tune the car and keep a warranty, go with the Ford Racing Performance calibration (Procal tuner) and have the dealer push the buttons to install it. You'll get a 3 year 36k warranty with that one. American Muscle / Bama offers a #8 specific warranty if you buy the stuff from them and don't ever run anyone elses stuff. In the unlikely event your #8 went and the dealer determined they wouldn't cover it, the Bama warranty would kick-in to fix the car.

I ran both a Steeda and a C&L intake along with several different tunes and was unhappy with all of them. The car felt weaker in the low rev range, and that is where I drive the most. I like the way the car drove stock, and now with the Ford Racing tune much better for my tastes. That Ford Racing tune is how it should have come stock IMO, it is a nice improvement.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and what your comfort level is. These cars come with so much power from the factory, don't expect a miracle in any scenario in terms of a power gain though. If you're going to be up all night worrying about being a 1%-er with your #8 cylinder, and you don't like the Ford Racing or American Muscle warranty options, then I'd say to just leave it stock...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

the Ford Racing Performance calibration
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

My question to all who have done a tune,

"Has any with a tune, took their car in for service, anything, and the dealer looked under the hood, saw the CAI, hooked up the car to diagnose the problem and the dealer did not say anything about having tuned the car and went ahead and serviced the car during warranty period?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011scgt
the Ford Racing Performance calibration
I saw a report from someone who dynoed it on another forum recently. It was 16 rwhp and about the same torque. Drive-ability is excellent, and low-end torque is greatly improved. The car became a "tire burner" noticeably after install. It may not put out the raw #s of the aftermarket stuff, but I like the way it drives better.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
My question to all who have done a tune,

"Has any with a tune, took their car in for service, anything, and the dealer looked under the hood, saw the CAI, hooked up the car to diagnose the problem and the dealer did not say anything about having tuned the car and went ahead and serviced the car during warranty period?
Yes. And I also saw pigs flying.............................
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
UnderARock
1st Gear Member

FYI, MMR makes something for the #8...

http://modularmustangracing.com.temp...?pid=634&cid=1

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/2011CM2.jpg

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/2011CM.jpg
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Thats great, but it looks like your going to have to pull the motor to do it.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM
UnderARock
1st Gear Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Burns331
Thats great, but it looks like your going to have to pull the motor to do it.
Not quite...It can be performed "in car" by removing the intake manifold. As per the manufacturer in a post on another forum. I hope posting the following link will not step on any moderator toes? If so, I apologize and I hope you all realize my thoughts were in the right place by doing so...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-19...ure-today.html

Quick Reply: #8 cylinder issue(tune /warranty issue)WHAT