Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

+1 on the 5.0 generates a lot of heat comment. I have a C&L CAI.. Never had the chance to compare the difference between this and the stock. However OP's post has caught my interest.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I tend to agree with your opinion. That's why I have not purchased any of the CAI also. But I did get a AEM dry filter to replace the stock one. I don't like the K&N "wet" filter. I have used it before and it's mess to clean and re-oil.

On a separate topic regarding the engine heat, I always open the the hood when I get home and leave the car outside the garage to cool off in the summer. The 5.0 generates a lot of heat. Heat is the worst enemy for components under the hood. I am thinking of getting the new 2013 hood for my car if the cost is not too high. The 2013 hood extracts the engine heat.
have you looked at the 2013 very closely? if you want the hood you're looking at much more then a hood swap to make it work ..
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
+1 on the 5.0 generates a lot of heat comment. I have a C&L CAI.. Never had the chance to compare the difference between this and the stock. However OP's post has caught my interest.
Good. I like that it has got you thinking. I hope we get some answers.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
UnderARock
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille in response to flash gordon

have you looked at the 2013 very closely? if you want the hood you're looking at much more then a hood swap to make it work ..
As an aside, Kenny Brown offers bolt-on alternatives to the OEM hood...

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/...0-2012-mustang

Last edited by UnderARock; 08-21-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

The way the Steeda fits it's a tight squeeze between the hood liner and the edges of the unit, it seals itself in really well, it also has components to bring in the fresh air into the box via that outlet, and its a much bigger opening than the stock one if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure the Steeda would have the same if not better AITs than the stock box, But I don't know anyone that has tested it thoroughly to be certain. and idle temps dont mean a lot with the hood closed, you need to be moving to see what the engine is getting under load. like has been said, you've got a lot of fresh air coming in against the front of the engine bay right where the CAI is, doing a dyno test w/o the hood open wouldn't be a reasonable test.

Last edited by Mishri; 08-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We did this comparison a couple months back. We did some real world testing.. in Florida and recorded the temperatures. You can see for yourself the results.

http://www.steedablog.com/2012/03/mu...-intake-truth/

Let me know if I can provide any additional answers?

Best Regards

TJ
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

The first time I seen the new 5.0 intake ,I thought thats not going to make the aftermarket guys happy. Ford has made it harder for the CAI's guys to show a benefit.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
We did this comparison a couple months back. We did some real world testing.. in Florida and recorded the temperatures. You can see for yourself the results.

http://www.steedablog.com/2012/03/mu...-intake-truth/

Let me know if I can provide any additional answers?

Best Regards

TJ
TJ,

Excellent read. We are in the ballpark of what I was hitting on. But my interest doesn't lie so much between aftermarket vs. aftermarket. I want to see the same IAT data loggin as compared to a stock intake, which pulls nothing but outside ambient air.

I would have loved this test if it was Steeda vs. stock. I don't wanna buy the "lesser of two evils" if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, so far Steeda and Airaid look like great products for retaining some of the factory design. But I wanna see the real world comparison.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'd like to know the difference over stock as well. The Steeda intake I had was nice enough, however the metal pipe where the MAF is located gets so hot you can't even touch it after normal driving. That never sat well with me, however I can't say one way or the other if it had any negative effect.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I tend to agree with your opinion. That's why I have not purchased any of the CAI also. But I did get a AEM dry filter to replace the stock one. I don't like the K&N "wet" filter. I have used it before and it's mess to clean and re-oil.

On a separate topic regarding the engine heat, I always open the the hood when I get home and leave the car outside the garage to cool off in the summer. The 5.0 generates a lot of heat. Heat is the worst enemy for components under the hood. I am thinking of getting the new 2013 hood for my car if the cost is not too high. The 2013 hood extracts the engine heat.
How are you liking the AEM? How's the build quality? I still associate the brand with the cheesy, cheap Honda ricer parts; it seems maybe they are getting serious these days.

The '13 hood does indeed pull a lot of heat out--I can see the heat waves coming off the driver's side vents on mine at traffic lights. It's not going to be a direct swap to earlier years though, the whole front end is different. The '13 gets the GT500 style upper grille as well.

I agree with AZAlloy, it would be really nice to see the same comparison Steeda did vs "brand J" (subtle there, guys) against the OEM. It seems Ford did a really good job with the stock intake & without getting into tuning there's not much to gain there.

Quick Reply: My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.