Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
Please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this be resolved by just uploading a 91-93 octane tune w/factory air box on the car, do a dyno run then put the C.A.I. of your choice on & dyno again????? Then you would have before & after dyno runs w/just a tune done which everyone agreed that a tune is essential.
I forgot to mention to leave the hood closed for both dyno tests. Since OP is concerned with this.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

The stock intake isn't bad, but a quality aftermarket is better in every respect. Few folks buy them on looks alone. Coyote engines like to breath, they benefit from more air with an intake and exhaust. I can only talk from experience, my steeda cold air intake and bassani xpipe made a major difference in performance, granted I have a tune also but those mods unclogged the engine so to speak. Throttle response is more immediate and the tune is partly responsible , but yeah you want a cai ,its 1 of the cheapest ways to make hp. Oh yeah, engine heat is only accumulated when at idle at a stop. when moving, hot engine air is moved away from the engine bay no matter how hot it is outside!!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
The stock intake isn't bad, but a quality aftermarket is better in every respect. Few folks buy them on looks alone. Coyote engines like to breath, they benefit from more air with an intake and exhaust. I can only talk from experience, my steeda cold air intake and bassani xpipe made a major difference in performance, granted I have a tune also but those mods unclogged the engine so to speak. Throttle response is more immediate and the tune is partly responsible , but yeah you want a cai ,its 1 of the cheapest ways to make hp. Oh yeah, engine heat is only accumulated when at idle at a stop. when moving, hot engine air is moved away from the engine bay no matter how hot it is outside!!!!
I appreciate your opinion. I am, however, looking for facts and supporting data.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=AZAlloy;8032238]I appreciate your opinion. I am, however, looking for facts and supporting data.[/QUOTE

How bout this, if cold air kits did absolutely nothing no one would buy them, they work I've put them on every performance car I own. There are countless before and after results out there. Anyone can provide you with data to show they do improve performance. The only question remaining is does it fit your bang for buck budget!!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=dominant1;8032329]
Originally Posted by AZAlloy
I appreciate your opinion. I am, however, looking for facts and supporting data.[/QUOTE

How bout this, if cold air kits did absolutely nothing no one would buy them, they work I've put them on every performance car I own. There are countless before and after results out there. Anyone can provide you with data to show they do improve performance. The only question remaining is does it fit your bang for buck budget!!
I am not interested in an argument over your opinion of this topic as I think I made pretty clear already. But since you wanna go there...

Originally Posted by dominant1
"A quality intake is better in every aspect" What is you definition of "Quality?"

Sounds subjective to me since everyone has a different opinion of "quality" and those opinions will change depending on that person's suroundings IE my much hotter climate than yours.

"Few folks buy them on looks alone." How do you know this? Was this included in a sensus I did not know about prior to posting?

"Coyote engines like to breath, they benefit from more air with an intake and exhaust."

Really? I did not realize before you stated this that an internal combustion engine benefits from more air. Read what I wrote, and do some research. More air isn't always better in every case, albeit more air and fuel is the solution for more power. What you aren't taking into account is reliability, and optimizing every cubic inch of air that is taken in.

" I can only talk from experience, my steeda cold air intake and bassani xpipe made a major difference in performance, granted I have a tune also but those mods unclogged the engine so to speak."

You cannot say that ALONE your intake did anything. Because you did not JUST do an intake.

"Throttle response is more immediate and the tune is partly responsible , but yeah you want a cai ,its 1 of the cheapest ways to make hp."

Again, you did not just do an intake. The rest is opinion. I do not consider $370 for 5-8HP cheap.

"Oh yeah, engine heat is only accumulated when at idle at a stop. when moving, hot engine air is moved away from the engine bay no matter how hot it is outside!!!!"

Really? So if I put an un-shielded open air filter on the end of my thottle body with nothing in between them excpet the MAS, I should be good? Because as long as I'm not stopped, it's nothing but cool air under the hood, right?

"How bout this, if cold air kits did absolutely nothing no one would buy them"

Really? Really? Then explain to me the millions of Honda's out there with worthless crap on them. Again, you remain completely subjective and are letting your passion for the products you have used in the past control your thoughts.

"Anyone can provide you with data to show they do improve performance."

Haven't seen any yet that I am interested in. I have seen a lot of great sales marketing out there, but unfortunately that's about it.

I did not post this topic up to say "cold air intakes don't work on a 2011+ GT." I am simply looking for answers and don't want opinions. I understand this is a public forum, but if you aren't trying to help, why bother. I want data that supports under everyday driving in the real world, an after market CAI is BETTER BY DESIGN than the stock intake in making power and remaining reliable and safe. I want objective, non biased facts.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Simple solution would be to dyno compare stock no-tune vs. CAI no-tune.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

I came across another forum while looking into this and one of the guys running low 11's did a comparison of the stock box vs. CAI. His times were identical save for a couple hundredths. he posted the vids to prove it. Ford uses their stock SC with a stock box which should say something.

If it wouldn't violate the rules I'd post a link.

Last edited by UofHmustang; 08-26-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The new mustangs have an actual ambient air temp sensor in the grill right? Someone with a tuner and CAI just datalog the ambient air temp and intake air temp. I bet they are nearly identical at speeds of 35mph or faster and at idle it's all getting heat soaked unless you are pulling air from the north pole!

This seems like a lot of research for a $300 CAI, just saying.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

37 post in regards to your Rant and no one can provide what your looking for. That tells me that you are right! I'm gonna take a day off work tomorrow to remove my steeda cold air kit ,put the factory airbox back on and gain back the 12 hp i lost by changing it thanks for helping me see the light!!!

oh and by the way isn't a Rant an opinion?

Last edited by dominant1; 08-26-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
Simple solution would be to dyno compare stock no-tune vs. CAI no-tune.
I believe that's what Steeda did on one of the previous posts to this thread. But again you are giving the CAI the advantage of the hood being open where it can draw straight from the open atmosphere around it, where as the stock intake pulls from the same spot regardless of the hood being open or not.

Its interesting, though. Because you are right in the fact that with the stock SC you use the stock box, but the GT500 uses a design similar to that of the Airaid and Steeda CAI. Hmmm.

Quick Reply: My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.