Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What else do I need for headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

In reference to my question last week about the x-pipe, I think it may bolt up into the stock place until I put the headers in. I looked at pictures of both the stock setup and the LT setup and they both join right at the back of the heat shield. Will I even notice a difference in tone if I put it in?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Hmm, if it's a LT x-pipe, it should not bolt into place with stock headers..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

If you look underneath the 5.0 the angles of the downpipe sections and cats match the lt header. The joints are in the same spot too. I think I might have a problem with diameter though. It's not a big deal if it doesn't work. Just passing time.

Last edited by UofHmustang; 10-06-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I installed a set of Kooks headers and o/r x pipe without having to get extensions for my O2 sensors. You can clip the wire ties and get enough length of wire to reach. And about the lift, i did mine on a set of jack stands and it wasn't that bad. It will probably be more comfortable working on jack stands than on a lift anyways. It's going to take some time installing them (or it did on mine) and it's a lot easier to work over your chest than directly over your head looking up all the time. If you can come up with the money... have a shop do it, there is VERY little room to work. I don't know how long the BBK's are compared to Kooks, but the directions said that the headers will be installed from the bottom. I ended up going through the top on the drivers side, removing the altenator. Good luck with it! I know you will love it when you do get them installed.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
I installed a set of Kooks headers and o/r x pipe without having to get extensions for my O2 sensors. You can clip the wire ties and get enough length of wire to reach. And about the lift, i did mine on a set of jack stands and it wasn't that bad. It will probably be more comfortable working on jack stands than on a lift anyways. It's going to take some time installing them (or it did on mine) and it's a lot easier to work over your chest than directly over your head looking up all the time. If you can come up with the money... have a shop do it, there is VERY little room to work. I don't know how long the BBK's are compared to Kooks, but the directions said that the headers will be installed from the bottom. I ended up going through the top on the drivers side, removing the altenator. Good luck with it! I know you will love it when you do get them installed.
What size Kooks mid length did you go with, 1 3/4 or 1 7/8? I have heard the 1 7/8 are significantly harder to install because of their mid length, equal length primaries.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I went with the 1 7/8. They were a pain in the ***. It took over 35 hours to get them on, thats me and my brother doing it in his garage on jack stands. We took our time doing it, making sure not to rush the job. You ohave to remove the steering rod, starter, and a few other things. Thinking about it now it would have been easier on a lift because you could drop the front cross member (think that's what they called it) and it opens up a LOT more room. But still a pain in the ***. If I had to do over again I would just take it to a shop. If you plan on installling a set let me know and I can give you a more detailed version of how it went when we installed them.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I went with the 1 7/8. They were a pain in the ***. It took over 35 hours to get them on, thats me and my brother doing it in his garage on jack stands. We took our time doing it, making sure not to rush the job. You ohave to remove the steering rod, starter, and a few other things. Thinking about it now it would have been easier on a lift because you could drop the front cross member (think that's what they called it) and it opens up a LOT more room. But still a pain in the ***. If I had to do over again I would just take it to a shop. If you plan on installling a set let me know and I can give you a more detailed version of how it went when we installed them.
Thanks. I have access to a lift and all the appropriate tools. If I ever do headers they will probably be the Kooks mid lengths and probably the 1 3/4.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

I feel you man. Took my buddies and me 2 days on a lift to get my American racing 1 7/8 long tubes and x pipe on. but dang it sounded and ran great
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Just finished my install, took 18 hours with just me and the occasional help from the wife. Did it on jack stands about 16" off the ground. Only thing I recommend is a 13mm and 15mm ratchet wrench. I gave in and bought them after spending 1.5 hours turning bolts with a crescent wrench. Also to remove the passenger side cat you need almost 24-32" of extensions to reach it from the top.