Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MGW Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Default MGW Finally!!

Changed to a new thread. Got it put in today. I had to work off of jack stands so that put me at a big disdvantage time wise. Taking that away, it took me about 4 hours. I go slow & thorough. This is alteast the 3rd generation of production so a few things have changed. Not enough to complain about, just different. One thing that is a problem is the fact that the videos are shot on a table and not actually under the car. There is a little bit of wrestling invloved so be prepared for that. I did not have a helper so at a couple of times during installation assemble I had to tape the new shifter to the drive shaft to work fron the interior. Just my way of making a 3rd hand. Like I said a lift would cut out at least an hour of this IMHO.

Now onto what you gain. Well, just about everything. The OEM shifter is without a doubt 100% junk. When you get it out you will see what I am talking about. Way too many things to list here, but if you want to know just ask and I will tell you my thoughts on that.

This is to a manual transmission what a custom tune is to an engine. Very precise and accurate while driving. You know what gear you are in and what gear you are headed to. Up or down. A lot more effort goes into reverse because of the new shifter head design. It is menat to be that way. The shift throw is shorter so your first impression is " I am not all the way in gear". Like I said very precise. The funny feeling you always get with the stock shifter about the 1-4 or 2-3 shift will go away very quickly. Same thing for 4-5 & 5-6.

I may be quoting the wrong person. I think Diabolical said that he could not understand why in the world some one would choose anything else. He is 100% correct.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Yup. +1 big time.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

Congrats. Glad to hear it was worth all the effort. I am going back and forth on whether to try it myself or get it put in. I would be in the same situation as you with the jack stands.

I haven't heard anything from MGW, and I have been so busy that I haven't had time to call. I will call tomorrow though. Hopefully it is on its way.

Originally Posted by mapitts
Changed to a new thread. Got it put in today. I had to work off of jack stands so that put me at a big disdvantage time wise. Taking that away, it took me about 4 hours. I go slow & thorough. This is alteast the 3rd generation of production so a few things have changed. Not enough to complain about, just different. One thing that is a problem is the fact that the videos are shot on a table and not actually under the car. There is a little bit of wrestling invloved so be prepared for that. I did not have a helper so at a couple of times during installation assemble I had to tape the new shifter to the drive shaft to work fron the interior. Just my way of making a 3rd hand. Like I said a lift would cut out at least an hour of this IMHO.

Now onto what you gain. Well, just about everything. The OEM shifter is without a doubt 100% junk. When you get it out you will see what I am talking about. Way too many things to list here, but if you want to know just ask and I will tell you my thoughts on that.

This is to a manual transmission what a custom tune is to an engine. Very precise and accurate while driving. You know what gear you are in and what gear you are headed to. Up or down. A lot more effort goes into reverse because of the new shifter head design. It is menat to be that way. The shift throw is shorter so your first impression is " I am not all the way in gear". Like I said very precise. The funny feeling you always get with the stock shifter about the 1-4 or 2-3 shift will go away very quickly. Same thing for 4-5 & 5-6.

I may be quoting the wrong person. I think Diabolical said that he could not understand why in the world some one would choose anything else. He is 100% correct.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HsvGT
Congrats. Glad to hear it was worth all the effort. I am going back and forth on whether to try it myself or get it put in. I would be in the same situation as you with the jack stands.

I haven't heard anything from MGW, and I have been so busy that I haven't had time to call. I will call tomorrow though. Hopefully it is on its way.
It's not that bad really. I am a pipe welder in a chemical plant so I am used to cramming myself into all different kinds of places. That's a plus for me I guess. It would not bother me to do it again. Like I said, the hardest part is that you have to work on both sides, top and bottom. A helper would be great if you had one. Once you got it up, 2 people should be able to do it in a couple of hours easy.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

one of the mods I am for sure looking at getting. Really tired of under load missing that 2-3 shift half the time.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by awbreyjd
one of the mods I am for sure looking at getting. Really tired of under load missing that 2-3 shift half the time.
Roger that. Makes us look like we do not know how to drive is what it does. One week and not one missed shift.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

I got my MGW today!!!!! Only bad thing is this is my Christmas gift, so I am expected to wait until Christmas for it. Just have to see if I can wait that long. Ha ha ha.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HsvGT
I got my MGW today!!!!! Only bad thing is this is my Christmas gift, so I am expected to wait until Christmas for it. Just have to see if I can wait that long. Ha ha ha.
You must be like me...........married. Put your foot down and do what you wife tells you! Congrats!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Mine just went in yesterday! The dealer acknowleged there was an issue from the 2-3 shift at high rpms's and was going to put a new shifter in to see if that fixed the issue, so they agreed to put the MGW in for me!
I have never had an aftermarket shifter before, so I wan't sure what to expect, except for all the positive comments from all the mustang forums. The shifter is very short, click click click in each gear she goes, and like everyone posted, very firm with no slop! I do notice more interior noise and just a little vibration from the shifter caused by very firm mounts. It feels and drives so much more like a race car than the luxury/sports car it was! So I can see this shifter is not for eveyone, but it certainly adds to my driving experience!
So far it has gone into 3rd with no problems at 6.5-7KRPM, I've only tried 2x so far, so we'll see...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
You must be like me...........married. Put your foot down and do what you wife tells you! Congrats!
Thats the problem with christmas gifts for your car, odds are your wife will have to ask you which part it is, you'll recognize the box if you see it in the mail, and now your left waiting knowing what it is until that date. Extra bit of torture that wat i guess.

Quick Reply: MGW Finally!!