Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I just can't make up my mind about LT's. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default I just can't make up my mind about LT's. Help?

I can afford to put LT headers on and tune it appropriately but I just don't know if its worth it for a car that is a weekend cruiser. I was thinking about putting the gobs of money it would cost into resonator deletes, x-pipe, and the gas. What say you guys?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

there are considerable gains to be had. for someone that doesn't want to go forced induction or mess with cams, aside from a typical tune/intake setup.. it provides solid gains.

it also increases exhaust volume considerably. you have to plan your system around it carefully or it may be a little too wild for you.

if you aren't doing the install yourself - it's a lengthy job, it will not be cheap. if you are doing it yourself ... it's a lengthy job, it will not be easy.

it's up to you to determine if you want more power, want to go a little faster, want a different exhaust configuration ... and if it's worth it .. entirely up to you.

to me, it's too expensive, because I wouldn't want to do the labor myself on the install. longtubes installed is a considerable chunk of change towards a supercharger.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

went FI and never looking back. Although now that I am getting boss heads and upgraded cams, while they their going longtubes.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

I just don't think I could handle the noise driving down the highway. I have a spare truck but I like to take it to work a couple times a week. I keep going back and forth. The biggest problem is no one around here has them on their car for me to hear. Would a Heart throb resonator delete and mandrel h-pipe make my car sound good and provide a little more power?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by awbreyjd
went FI and never looking back. Although now that I am getting boss heads and upgraded cams, while they their going longtubes.
If I do a power adder it'll be nitrous. It's about 5k for an sc by the time labor is included right?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

more then that. superchargers range from like 4300-8000 for a kit, and that's without any labor for the install. a lot of them are easy enough to install on your own, though. I would sooner install a SC than install longtubes.. : P
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

No regrets here, but i did the install myself, 18 hours with just me. I have no drone issues, but it is loud when you get on it. Cruising in 6th at about 2k you can here the exhaust slightly, not unbearable for long drives (regular 2-4 hour trips monthly) and you can still have a conversation and listen to the radio. Its about my tolerance threshold for cruising volume though. Unless you want to be obnoxiously loud you have to have a chambered muffler. The whole setup is about as loud as roush axlebacks or flowmaster outlaws, but thats with cats. Not sure about mpg, changed it in october and it started getting cooler so the mpg drop could be from that as well, but maintaining 21-22 mpg 50/50 with mostly 20 mile jaunts to work. Long trips i got 24 up to charlotte and deals gap but i still suspect, maybe optimistically, that air temperature had a greater effect on that than the headers. Hope that helps.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

It does help a lot. I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge! Hopefully I can get them to tune my car without cats to pass inspection.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:03 PM
2013sTang

I wasnt going to get them but I came across an offer on this forumn that I couldnt pass up. Payed $900.00 shipped brand new for american racing headers with catted x from a mrmber who sold his car. If I were you be patient and wait to find a good deal. I picked up about 20whp untuned with them. My exhaust did increase slightly at low rpms but it really screams above 4000rpm. I have magnaflow comp catback and its not crazy loud. Much louder then stock but not obnoxious loud
Old 12-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Let us know if we can help ya out. We have plenty of stainless works headers in stock. Take a look at borla and MBRP headers, they'renot as common as others but offer great quality. It is a pita to install but can be done on your own. There is a performance gain to headers and the gain will be even more if you decide to include a power adder.

Quick Reply: I just can't make up my mind about LT's. Help?