Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

American Muscle Review.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the world of modding cars.
You are going to run into snags at some point. None of this stuff is affecting your car, it's just the waiting that's eating you.

Just work with AM, their #1 concern is you.

Think of it this way, you have two of the largest names in Mustang tuning talking on a public internet forum directly to you, putting their reputations on the line, trying to solve your issues. That would make me fuzzy and warm inside.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

I already called diablo, and spent an hour on the phone waiting to speak to a tech. I followed all of the techs instructions got the tuner to force a download, and right when it was loading the files waiting for a reeboot the device crashed. I walked away from it only to find it crashed. If you want to make me happy take your product back that clearly doesnt work.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

AM will work well with you. I recently had a problem with my tunes, and the responded within the next business day.

One time I was swapping tunes (I have the iTSX for Android), and the bluetooth on the phone decided to kick off during the tuning (power saving BS). This caused the tune to fail, and the ECU to become disabled. Luckily I was at the track with a bunch of racing buddies. Just disconnected the battery for 20 mins to refresh the computer, and then it was allowed to take the stock tune back in and then reflash to the custom tune.

That was the only scare I had with the tuner. After that, it has had no issues. I just make sure the phone is charged and doesn't become interrupted during tuning.

Recently I had noticed my tune was running too lean, and AM quickly sent over new tunes through email. What I had done was update the firmware on the tuner, and then imported the new tunes. The car now idles fine, and hasn't had the issues that were present before. I may still do a datalog just to double check that everything is ok, but other than that AM was still helpful.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

"It sounds like the intune.exe (auto updater) is crashing, which is not really an issue"

Your software shouldnt be crashing is my point ! How can you say that the update software crashing is not a problem !?!?!?! Your software should not crash ! C'mon man.. thats crap.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

You are right it shouldn't be crashing but welcome to the world of electronics... there is always going to be a faulty product especially when it comes to electronics. Unfortunately there is no such thing as perfection. If there was I am sure the world would be a much better place.

Sadly I would say you landed yourself one of the faulty products... if you are looking to modify your car as most of us plan too or already have begun your going have to deal with getting faulty products from time to time... knock on wood I haven't yet but with what I have planned I know my time will come..

like it was mentioned you have two of the biggest mustang tuners trying to help you in a way that doesn't require you to send in the old tuner and wait for a new one but rather try to fix it so you can begin tuning your beast rather than play the waiting game of mail service to send and bring you another product.

Sadly when it comes to modding car or electronics the same thing applies.. requires a bit of frustration but some patience aswell.. think of it this way... there are companies out there who take your money and say here is our product now begone and you gotta fight tooth and nail to get someone to try and help you with your issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I am going to be the dick here and say your over reacting and kind of being an *** writing them off the first sign of a problem.

Let me tell you a little story I have Whiteline Upper Control Arms. It came to the attention of Whiteline that they were defective and would start to break at the welds. So I have been delayed installing them for over two months while they are developing the new model. Instead of freaking out and going on a internet rage about how much they sucked and how they should not have this problem. I contacted them and they are replacing them for free no questions asked as soon as the new ones come in. Yeah it sucks when a product that is made by a human can have a flaw but its made by a human it can break.

Work with them and they will get it fixed, maybe you have some issue that has not been encountered would be good for them to know and how to fix it. Will save someone else some grief later on down the road.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default products returned

American Muscle excepted the return of the defective products.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
I am going to be the dick here and say your over reacting and kind of being an *** writing them off the first sign of a problem.

Let me tell you a little story I have Whiteline Upper Control Arms. It came to the attention of Whiteline that they were defective and would start to break at the welds. So I have been delayed installing them for over two months while they are developing the new model. Instead of freaking out and going on a internet rage about how much they sucked and how they should not have this problem. I contacted them and they are replacing them for free no questions asked as soon as the new ones come in. Yeah it sucks when a product that is made by a human can have a flaw but its made by a human it can break.

Work with them and they will get it fixed, maybe you have some issue that has not been encountered would be good for them to know and how to fix it. Will save someone else some grief later on down the road.
+1

The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease. There are better ways to present initial problems than spewing on the internet.

I've had little hiccups with mods before and gotten them figured out. I found with those problems (as with most) the more you bitch about them, the more frustrated and less clear headed you get. In the end you just make things worse and in the worst scenarios, create more problems and never get the original problem fixed because no one wants to help you.

Frustrating as hell sometimes yes, take a deep breath and look at it from all perspectives.

Although, @Mikediablo, If the Intune.exe file is crashing, uh that is a problem. Sounds like the Tuner is not getting the information it needs because the exe file is running incorrectly or not running as it should.

Personally, I don't know how the Diablo devices work but I know that SCT has been the preference of most Mustang owners on the 05+ models.

As for SCT and their update. The update is/was voluntary. It didn't apply to my 08 (was for 2011+ and errors) so I never will upgrade my SCT firmware unless I have a vehicle that requires the firmware update. Like anything firmware/bios related, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shane780
"It sounds like the intune.exe (auto updater) is crashing, which is not really an issue"

Your software shouldnt be crashing is my point ! How can you say that the update software crashing is not a problem !?!?!?! Your software should not crash ! C'mon man.. thats crap.
Originally Posted by Derf00
+1

Although, @Mikediablo, If the Intune.exe file is crashing, uh that is a problem. Sounds like the Tuner is not getting the information it needs because the exe file is running incorrectly or not running as it should.
Let me clarify this a bit....

The intune.exe downloads files to your PC, then transfers them to the intune drive. When the tool sees the update on the drive, it ejects the drive (closes it) and on some windows versions, the .exe goes non responsive as it does not see the inTune drive there anymore, but, the reason I say its not a concern is because it is done doing its job at that point.
From there, the tool has started importing the updates, and you can just walk away, or crash the .exe if you want. This is not something that happens all the time. It is specific to certain config settings in Windows, and its one of those things thats fun to deal with when you try to support any windows based software that works with an external USB drive.

Hope that helps.

OP, I wish we could have gotten you going, but sounds like AM has taken the tool back, best of luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Other possibility I have seen is people trying to use the tune files moving from a mac when they are meant to be ran on a PC. It will cause this sort of issue, may or may not be the case though.

Quick Reply: American Muscle Review.