Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

FRPP tune vs VMP tune results

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP tune vs VMP tune results

Both tunes are awesome.

I like them both. The FRPP tune makes a lot more in the bottom end then the VMP tune. However thats where it stops the VMP tune just has more go up top, and shifts more aggresively. However the FRPP tune is the tune I will most likely stick with, as my wife did not really like VMP tune as much.

I would not recommend the FRPP tune if your dealer wont give you warranty with it, you might as well go VMP. My dealer was excited to install the FRPP package on my car, and I get the little ford racing sticker to go on the inside of the door.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The problem is you've now in essence voided your Ford Racing warranty. This after voiding your Ford warranty.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default situational warranty

this is not the case,

I actually purchased my vehicle used and have a lifetime powertrain warranty specific with my dealer, which has nothing to do with ford or ford racing. Baiscly I can do whatever I want to my vehicle so long as they install it I have lifetime warranty on everything powertrain related. It has certain conditions ie im required to do an oil change and tire rotation by them every 10 months or 8000kms, and follow my ford maintenance guidelines.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

You flashed in a custom tune. Sorry but good bye power train warranty. If you need any major work done it's out of the dealers hands and an engineer from Ford will be the deciding factor. Once they see you flashed it you're screwed.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default were you there ?

I paid extra for this warranty through my dealer, which has NOTHING to do with anyone except the dealer. I worked for this dealership know my service manager, and almost all the staff working at this dealership. They offer this warranty with all there USED vehicles if you opt to pay for it. Lots of folks by this warranty and then forget to do a tire rotation or an oil change and end up losing there dealer provided life time powertrain warranty. Its a good way for the dealership to make money off of all of the minor services like oil changes that one must do with there vehicle. And I should know I worked there. The company is called Tri-care and its an awesome warranty provided you are okay with doing ALL of your service work at the dealership. The flashing was done by a friend of mine who is a tech at the dealership, so I did nothing myself.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default updated tune

Im now running an updated 91 Performance VMP tune, this tune has all the bottom end that the FRPP 93 tune has but still pulls hard all through the rpm range, shifts are now positive feeling but not overly so, also gained 1 mpg hwy and 3 mpg city.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
The problem is you've now in essence voided your Ford Racing warranty. This after voiding your Ford warranty.
Get the fug over this bullchit. Warranty worries with respect to modding = *****. Rant over.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
You flashed in a custom tune. Sorry but good bye power train warranty. If you need any major work done it's out of the dealers hands and an engineer from Ford will be the deciding factor. Once they see you flashed it you're screwed.
1. Flashing a tune in doesn't void the warranty unless it is determined that the tune itself caused the problem. My dealership flat out told me I could do whatever I want to my car for tune or aftermarket parts and my warranty will stay intact unless it is determined the aftermarket part/tune is the actual cause of the problem.

2. Very easy to get around them seeing that you flashed.. They can't actually see you have flashed your PCM all they can see is how many times it has been reset. Disconnecting the battery resets it as well. So just tune it back to stock before you take it in for service. That way if they pull your tune because they see your PCM has been reset multiple times all they'll see all stock ford tune.

I had a 02 sensor crap out before I had gone to the O/R Midpipe and went into the dealership (tuned it back to stock before going) they said unfortunately because your vehicles PCM has been reset multiple times with a tune it is determined it has caused the problem and is not covered under warranty , I played stupid and said I disconnect my battery every time I go out of town for more then a day ( I said I go to the lake 2-3 times a month and leave the car at home and disconnect the battery so if anyone tries to steal it have fun stealing a car without a battery ) the advisor went back to the tech and the service manager and came back and said " we gotta order the part so if we order it now it should be here in 2 days so let's book an appointment to have that 02 sensor replaced "

Only thing they can see if how many times the PCM has been reset and if they see multiple resets they may even pull the tune from the vehicle and see if it matches what stock tune should be.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default warranty

My dealer, was simply happy that Im keeping interest in my vehicle. Its too bad that I hear so many pass the buck, attitudes from other dealerships. In fact this morning when I was there, i was asked when I planned on supercharging the "beast". Ive always had excellent service from my dealership, the way they see it is. My whole family has bought all their vehicles from them when they could have took there business to any other dealership. Customer loyalty goes along ways, if one engine gets cooked out of the bunch they would rather replace my engine, then have me buy a Corvette in 3 years time.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Get the fug over this bullchit. Warranty worries with respect to modding = *****. Rant over.
You're an idiot.
Originally Posted by BairdGT
1. Flashing a tune in doesn't void the warranty unless it is determined that the tune itself caused the problem. My dealership flat out told me I could do whatever I want to my car for tune or aftermarket parts and my warranty will stay intact unless it is determined the aftermarket part/tune is the actual cause of the problem.

2. Very easy to get around them seeing that you flashed.. They can't actually see you have flashed your PCM all they can see is how many times it has been reset. Disconnecting the battery resets it as well. So just tune it back to stock before you take it in for service. That way if they pull your tune because they see your PCM has been reset multiple times all they'll see all stock ford tune.

I had a 02 sensor crap out before I had gone to the O/R Midpipe and went into the dealership (tuned it back to stock before going) they said unfortunately because your vehicles PCM has been reset multiple times with a tune it is determined it has caused the problem and is not covered under warranty , I played stupid and said I disconnect my battery every time I go out of town for more then a day ( I said I go to the lake 2-3 times a month and leave the car at home and disconnect the battery so if anyone tries to steal it have fun stealing a car without a battery ) the advisor went back to the tech and the service manager and came back and said " we gotta order the part so if we order it now it should be here in 2 days so let's book an appointment to have that 02 sensor replaced "

Only thing they can see if how many times the PCM has been reset and if they see multiple resets they may even pull the tune from the vehicle and see if it matches what stock tune should be.
You're a bigger idiot. You cannot flash back to stock on these new cars nor can you take a battery cable off and reset anything. Can a dealer see it? No. But a Ford engineer can. I frankly could care less about your experience.

Quick Reply: FRPP tune vs VMP tune results