Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil Burning/Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil Burning/Consumption

Last week I got the chance to change my oil for the first time. I own a 2012 GT 'Vert w/ Manual. I bought the car in January 2013 with 29,500 miles. I just changed the oil change at 36,373 miles and the oil meter said 31% life. I didn't feel comfortable letting it go any longer before changing the oil. Personal preference.

Basically, I had my worst suspicions confirmed when I drained the oil. My car is burning oil. I drained out 5 1/4 qts of oil + what was in the filter. Being generous it was about 6 qts total. This is alarming to me because I also added 1 qt of oil after about 3500 miles of driving. This means either the car was not filled to the correct level when i bought it (Highly unlikely) or the car is burning ~3 qts every 7,000 miles. I have a passengers side UPR oil catch can and it had about 3-4 ounces of oil in it. I have drained it before so it caught a good deal of oil since I bought it. I was suspicious of the car burning oil because of the black soot that builds up inside the tailpipes every couple of weeks. It seemed way too thick and black to be 'normal'. Also, there is no noticeable smoke on start-up, under heavy acceleration, etc.

I have read other oil burning threads, but does anyone's 5.0 even come close to burning that much oil? This can't be normal.

I called the dealer right away. They said that I need to drive it to them as soon as I think it is low. They will check the level, document it, and top it off. I don't know where this will go, or how long it will take to resolve. I will also have to get oil changes at the dealer so they can document everything going forward. The only good news is that I have the extended service plan/warranty and it will be covered should it be anything serious. I will be checking my oil level a LOT more often now that I know it burns so much oil.

Has anyone ever dealt with a car that burns oil? Would the dealership ever do anything if it is not leaking and still running?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I would just keep checking the level and log what you see. I was adding about a quart between changes (changed at about 5000 or so miles) until it suddenly stopped using oil.

I don't think you are burning oil in the way you are assuming.. Based on what I've seen in my JLT Oil Catch can.. the oil is evaporating/aerosolizing.

I usually don't recommend things like this.. but having a Oil Catch Can (passenger side only) may be a good idea.. at least you can see how much would have been blown into the intake and factor that amount in your loss.

I'd be very sure of the initial level (take it for like 2-3 days after oil change), and then check every 1000 miles or so.

I've collected about 4 table spoons worth of oil after about 2,200 miles. I have 38,000 miles on the car and drive about 40 miles a day in moderate traffic.

This is what i found in my catch can after only a few hundred miles:

Name:  89D238EF-690D-401F-97D6-47B49A8C21FA-19464-000002181384D10E.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  76.9 KB
Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Based on what I've seen in my JLT Oil Catch can.. the oil is evaporating/aerosolizing.
I buy that to a certain extent. But you really think 3 qts worth of oil was aerosolized and then subsequently sent through the intake where it was burnt? Is it because of the high compression that these cars aersolize so much oil? It just doesn't make sense, even when compared to the 4.6L motors.

That's a good idea for me to install the passenger side catch can too. I'll get on that ASAP.

This is a picture of my driver's side catch can taken when I changed my oil.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Crappers..how much oil is that? I've heard the passenger side is only necessary..but after seeing your pic....

I don't think 3 quarts was blown through the intake..that's why I suggested starting over and collecting a record of the loss. Between oil "consumed," oil in the old filter (even if you drained it, and oil still in the engine, three quarts isn't a crazy amount when we are talking about an 8 quart fill. Draining the oil doesn't get rid of all of it.

The best indication of loss is checking the level and noting how much you need to add to maintain the desired level. Even that isn't perfect and you can be off +\- a quart in your measurements.

What oil are you using?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Shoot, I messed up. That is a pic of my PASSENGER side oil catch can. I don't yet have a driver's side, but I will buy a DRIVER's side catch can so that I can keep track of how much goes through that valve. Sorry about the mix-up.

I will be checking the oil level every 500 miles from here on out and documenting with pictures. Not to mention taking it to the dealer at the first sign of level below lowest hash mark on dipstick.

The last oil fill was done at the dealership (before I bought the car). So it had Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter. I filled with Pennzoil Platinum full-synthetic 5W-20 and installed a Mobil1 filter. Maybe switching to full-synthetic will reduce consumption and aerosolizing?

I am also thinking about checking the plugs. They might give me an indication if there is something really wrong in one of the cylinders. If they are all the same color and dry then I would probably not be as concerned.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
joe95 gt
2nd Gear Member

before my last oil change I checked my oil and it was low. too it to dealership and had oil changed. asked if they had heard of any issues with this engine burning oil and of course they said no.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Shoot, I messed up. That is a pic of my PASSENGER side oil catch can. I don't yet have a driver's side, but I will buy a DRIVER's side catch can so that I can keep track of how much goes through that valve. Sorry about the mix-up.

I will be checking the oil level every 500 miles from here on out and documenting with pictures. Not to mention taking it to the dealer at the first sign of level below lowest hash mark on dipstick.

The last oil fill was done at the dealership (before I bought the car). So it had Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter. I filled with Pennzoil Platinum full-synthetic 5W-20 and installed a Mobil1 filter. Maybe switching to full-synthetic will reduce consumption and aerosolizing?

I am also thinking about checking the plugs. They might give me an indication if there is something really wrong in one of the cylinders. If they are all the same color and dry then I would probably not be as concerned.
How does it feel? If it feels fine, it probably is. I've gone with Mobil 1 full synth and just use a Motorcraft filter (they are supposed to be good). The mobile 1 can be found in 5 qt jugs at wall mart for pretty cheap (for what it is).

Not sure the oil/filter is the problem. Checking the plugs is a good idea.. will be nice to have that piece of mind if they look good.

Do you do a lot of engine breaking/down shifting? Hang out in the 4000+ rpm range very long? I'm only asking because I've had the same questions/worries when I noticed mine was using oil.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I currently have 3,100 miles on my 2014 GT and I've added about 3/4 of a quart since new. I just got back from a 1,900 mile round trip on vacation running at around 75 mph most of the way on the freeways and around 45 mph in town.

I added about 1/2 a quart before I left on my trip and car had about 1,260 miles on it. I added about an additional 10 ounces today after coming home from the trip yesterday and now I'm at 3,100 miles. I obviously used more oil during the first 1,260 miles than I did during the last 1,840 miles.

I also have an UPR catch can installed which I checked before my trip because the screw in the bottom of the can was seeping oil so I put some Teflon tape on it. I had about 2 teaspoons of oil in it at that time and I had only had the can installed for about 260 miles. I have not checked it since so I don't know how much oil is currently in the can. I plan on changing the oil soon since I'm still on my original fill and will check the can then.

My tailpipes are clean. I installed a Roush AB on the car when it had about 291 miles on it so it's been on there almost from the beginning.

I would take it to Ford so they can do an oil consumption test to see exactly where you are at and if there seems to be a problem. I know most manufacturer's say that a quart in 2,000 miles can be seen as normal. I don't know what Ford's specs are. Good luck.

Wayne
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Do you do a lot of engine breaking/down shifting? Hang out in the 4000+ rpm range very long? I'm only asking because I've had the same questions/worries when I noticed mine was using oil.
I do use the engine brake a lot. When I downshift, the revs will go up to about 2,500-3,000. It is something that I did all of the time in my '02. I do it mostly because I love the 'burble' that the car makes when slowing down. As for my driving style, I don't spend much time at all above 4,000. I do my share of full-throttle runs, maybe once per week. Otherwise, I keep below 4,000 RPM.

My tailpipes are clean. I installed a Roush AB on the car when it had about 291 miles on it so it's been on there almost from the beginning.

I would take it to Ford so they can do an oil consumption test to see exactly where you are at and if there seems to be a problem. I know most manufacturer's say that a quart in 2,000 miles can be seen as normal. I don't know what Ford's specs are. Good luck.
My tailpipes are far from clean. And I clean them every couple hundred miles when I wash my car.

I have contacted the dealer, they will do oil checks for me whenever I notice that the oil level is low. I would love to hear from an engineer who was involved with the design of this motor about what is "normal" oil-consumption. Where did you read/hear that 1 qt. per 2,000 miles is normal? Our Mustangs aren't 2-strokes engines. Might as well put a damn outboard in the car, it might burn less oil? lol
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

The 1 qt per 2,000 miles has been a standard for many manufacturers for quite a few years, not specific to the 5.0 engine. I don't know what Ford would tell you these days but I bet it would be pretty close to that.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Oil Burning/Consumption