Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI or Tune First?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:37 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
If you really plan on tracking the car the stock parts (even the Brembo/Track Pack) are not going to cut it. These cars are under sprung under damped and way under tired to be competitive. Ask Sam Strano he'll tell you.
No need to confirm, I believe you.

The problem is I don't have $5k to drop in it right away. Pending some sales of other stuff I have, I should have around $2000 over the next couple months. The first $1000 will go into appearance. I HAVE to do this first otherwise I know I never will.

After that I'm going to grab a Bama tune. I know it probably isn't the first thing I need or the best use of my money but I can't come off it. This is firstly a daily driver. I do plan on taking it to the track but I have the right expectations. I know it's not an 11s car. With time maybe so but that's a ways away. I feel like the tune will make a big difference in the everyday joy I have driving it which is more important than the 10ths I might get otherwise... for now at least.

So that leaves me with $600 which isn't going to get me far no matter which way I go. I would definitely be interested in suspension, especially if it drops my ride height an inch or so, the BBP tend to ride high I think. What would you suggest for that budget? Upgraded springs/sway bars? I'll check AM.com and let you know what I come up with. Maybe you can tell me if it's worth it or not.

One last note - I'm new here and want to make sure I don't come across the wrong way. I'm inquisitive by nature. I ask a ton of questions because I like to understand things better. As I mentioned, I've never owned a gofast before so I have a LOT to learn. I do appreciate your time and knowledge, even if I come off as a smart-***.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

The only diff between bbp and tp is a bunch of cooling bits,torsen, standard 3.73. You dont feel bad about "just" bbp. That's all there was previously.

Still as noted to and bbp is really a road package, not a true track pack.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

I am happy with the BBP - just that for $400 more I could have had the extras which is disappointing I missed out on it. Not the end of the world, that's for sure.

So I read the info on suspension on AM.com which was helpful as far as components goes. I did find this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...stem-1112.html

Which I will not be able to afford right away but I certainly could save my $600 to put towards that if it's the best bang for my buck. Let me know what you think of the package or if maybe the sway bars aren't worth it, I could part it out separately.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by redCORTEX
Well, the good news is that you guys talked me out of the CAI.

The bad news two-fold:
1) I have no idea where to go after the tune (I feel like this is needed early)
2) While I was researching the suspension upgrades for the track pack, I found out that I don't have it after all, just the Brembo Brake Package. Heart-broken.

That's a story for another thread.

I do have upgraded springs, 131lbs front, 167lbs rear.
Also struts/shocks tuned for these springs.

Do I need more suspension than that? I've never modded a muscle car so not sure how it rates.

American Muscle, Brenspeed, Steeda, and a few others all offer great tunes that will blow away stock.

Originally Posted by Black Fire
If you really plan on tracking the car the stock parts (even the Brembo/Track Pack) are not going to cut it. These cars are under sprung under damped and way under tired to be competitive. Ask Sam Strano he'll tell you.
If you really plan on tracking the car, take it to the track and learn how it feels with what you have on it first (i.e. stock) then mod it based on where you think it needs to be improved. Get the experience, then get the parts. Parts don't overcome poor driving.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
If you really plan on tracking the car, take it to the track and learn how it feels with what you have on it first (i.e. stock) then mod it based on where you think it needs to be improved. Get the experience, then get the parts. Parts don't overcome poor driving.
Absolutely agree with this. Seat time is the most important thing.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Philosophically I just had to have every performance option available for my 12 car. I find bbp to be a good compromise for the cratered real world roads.

The factory tune is marshmallow creme soft. I hated it. I went with Ford's Procal and that turned the car on really well, enough for 11s with a good tire. Best $289 bucks I spent and I completely agree with you a tune transforms the daily joy factor.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

bama tune
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Anyone one but a Bama tune.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

American Muscle, Brenspeed, Steeda, and a few others all offer great tunes that will blow away stock.
Agreed!

Let me know if I can help you with one ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 03-18-2014, 06:28 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Get a tune. Then get seat time. Seat time is the cheapest and most fun item that you can 'buy' Worry about the other stuff as you get used to the car. You'll figure out soon enough what you want your car to be/become.

Quick Reply: CAI or Tune First?