Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI or Tune First?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys!

I decided to start with a suspension from Strano - work in progress.

I will get a tune first - probably go with the 93R from Bama. I can't self tune like Scott so it seems like a decent choice.

After those two I will get seat time - most likely pick up tires next.

I likely won't get a CAI unless I pick one up cheap, more of an appearance than performace choice. I appreciate all the advice - it really helped!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

If you're going aftermarket on tunes and ditching the warranty anyway, I'd pick a tune that's had better results. Vmp, aed, stress come to mind first. AM/Bama is easy, with a slick website and good marketing but, they aren't the only choice.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by redCORTEX
Thanks guys!

I decided to start with a suspension from Strano - work in progress.

I will get a tune first - probably go with the 93R from Bama. I can't self tune like Scott so it seems like a decent choice.

After those two I will get seat time - most likely pick up tires next.

I likely won't get a CAI unless I pick one up cheap, more of an appearance than performace choice. I appreciate all the advice - it really helped!
redCORTEX,

As others have chimed in and said- definitely go with a custom tune first! You'll see solid gains across the powerband, better throttle response and even possibly 1mpg increase when economy driving. This is all with a bone stock Mustang, set alone when you add more bolt-on mods!

I'm confident you'll really enjoy the 93R tune from Bama. In fact, Bama has just recently revamped 11-14 GT tunes too! Particularly the 91R and/or 93R tune packs a bigger punch than ever before while still running in safe & healthy conditions/parameters.

You'll have to post back once you have a chance to try out the tune and let me know what you think!

Shane
Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Haha, stress...meant steeda, damn autocorrect...
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
If you're going aftermarket on tunes and ditching the warranty anyway, I'd pick a tune that's had better results. Vmp, aed, stress come to mind first. AM/Bama is easy, with a slick website and good marketing but, they aren't the only choice.
I will check on those before buying - lots of research to do!

It's my understanding that flashing back to stock prior to service will avoid a voided warranty. I know there's quite a bit of back and forth on this. I guess I'm "hoping" it won't be an issue.. I did pick up a 7yr bumper to bumper...
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
Words of wisdom here.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:54 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Look man, I'm going to make it real simple for you: If you're concerned about warranty, don't mod the car, full stop. The whole flash back to stock isn't going to fool anyone who really wants to investigate. Plus, this isn't 1998 anymore, messing around with drive cycles and readiness can lead to problems.

Procal from FRPP is the only warrantable tune. It's a good warranty. Some claim the tune isn't so rocket-ship compared to others. I can understand that as it's got a warranty. the tune feels fantastic on the road, though, transforms the car's operation to what you'd expect from a V8 musclecar.

My experience has been otherwise to those claiming the tune is weak. I have taken my fully loaded '12 GT into the 11s on that tune on a slick tire, at about 115 mph trap. that tells me, dragstrip dyno, 439 horses at the flywheel.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

I will end up getting a race tune. Just hoping it's not an automatic void. I'm not even sure what it would void.. the entire engine? In the end, I'm not too concerned about it.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by redCORTEX
I will end up getting a race tune. Just hoping it's not an automatic void. I'm not even sure what it would void.. the entire engine? In the end, I'm not too concerned about it.
redCORTEX,

Your warranty certainly won't be automatically voided, regardless what tuner or tunes you go with. In fact, the chances of your dealership even checking for a tune are slim. Unless you experience an engine failure. Even still, the dealership has to prove whatever part has failed, failed from an aftermarket tune.

As I mentioned, most cases a dealership won't even check. Say if your alternator fails, there's no reason to check for a tune, nor would a tune have any affect of the alternator. In that case, the dealership would replace the alternator under warranty, as they should.

Hit me up if you have any other questions!

Shane
Old 03-19-2014, 05:28 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Why would you spend money on a 7 year B2B and put it at risk by modding the car?

Whatever people tell you about Ford having to "prove" the tune caused the failure just doesn't hold water in the real world. All they have to do is out wait you and let you exhaust your resources trying to get them to do the right thing.

I've dealt with Ford on a dealer and corporate level trying to get a major component fixed (trans in my case) Believe me, you don't want this fight, even if you're in the right.

I'm a union negotiator and vice president and this took everything I had and the dealer had my car over a month before they caved and fixed it.

Quick Reply: CAI or Tune First?