Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

tvs vs centri

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 AM
sorenjs3

Default tvs vs centri

Been reading everything I can find about this as come this winter im buying one. Ive contacted 2 shops so far both highly recommend the tvs over the centri however the nittos already have difficulty hanging on the way it is I feel any type of tvs charger is just going to amplify this problem as the rear end is 3.73 not the stock auto 3.15. 80 percent of the time its just gonna be normally driven. So a centri seems the best to me I dont need gobs of tq and power all the time plus when im racing its a straight line and high rpm where the centri will shine. I feel im that would be the best option for me but 2 shops with real world experience have highly recommended the other way.. any advice or insight would be mu cheaper appreciated
Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

if you go centri , a good kit would be a beefcake paxton setup. For TVS id go with a VMP setup.

either way i think your tires will be getting ripped up. Im really not sure which kit id choose but i think i like the sound of a tvs a bit more, and spinning tires is kind of fun if your safe with it. Pretty sure id go tvs

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-22-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Personally for me, I went Vortech because the Centri blower had a lot more benefits to me than anything else. Firstly I road race, so I don't need instant torque, I need a smooth power band. That might necessarily effect you in particular, but because of the smoothness of the powerband, you're not spinning tires like you would with the instant torque of a twin screw blower. Some say that the twin screw blowers are better, but with heat soak issues, with the lack of efficiency and everything in between, it really turned me off so I went with Vortech because I know the tuning capabilities of this unit will be good for about 800HP, and the Paxton systems are still good for about 1000HP with the right supporting mods.

Here's a picture of my set up:

Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 PM
sorenjs3

I just want to be able to beat my friends and anyone else I come across on the roads. Which will be the basic 3 honks and go or from a stand still. And of course my own personal fun. Next thing on my list would be reliability which I think goes to a centri as most of the time when im just cruising in summer im well below 3k rpm at all times..so no real boost pressure. But like I said if the tvs is gonna put down a better real world time like everyone keeps saying that would change things
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 PM
sorenjs3

Sick vortech btw. Did you install it yourself?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:05 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

All the kits on the market are capable of producing more power than the stock block can handle. If reliability is your #1 concern and you are having someone else install it, get the kit they are most familiar with. Thats going to insure the best reliability, driveability, and longevity.

Personally, I would choose a tvs over a centri because I like the broad, flat torque curve. If you are just cruising, it has a bypass, so it's no different than stock until you get heavey on the skinny peddle.

If I had to pick a centri, hands down, it would be a Pro-Charger. It's the most efficient centri available.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM
sorenjs3

Im not planning on pushing limits from what ive read 600ish is around the the "safe" and this will bring me right to that proly switching to e85 for added safety and maybe drop the rpm a few hundred to start as the rods seem to be the weak point. Both places close to me defly seem to highly favor tvs so seem like thats gonna be the way to go. Anyone else have real world numbers on how long the engine lasts under boost?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 AM
sorenjs3

Im not planning on pushing limits from what ive read 600ish is around the the "safe" and this will bring me right to that proly switching to e85 for added safety and maybe drop the rpm a few hundred to start as the rods seem to be the weak point. Both places close to me defly seem to highly favor tvs so seem like thats gonna be the way to go. Anyone else have real world numbers on how long the engine lasts under boost?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm running the UPR-spec ProCharger D-1SC kit on my daily driver, at 10psi. (roughly 625rwhp on pump 93 tune) I absolutely love it. It drives like a stocker when I want it to, but it's pretty fast when I lean on it. A TVS car with 100hp less would blow off the tires at will, which is fun if you WANT to do that... not as fun if you're just trying to change lanes in traffic. Meanwhile, I ran 10.89 @ 128 last week at 3870lbs on 19/20 wheels and pump 93 in my 5.0, and it got 31.7 MPGs average on the way to the track!

Honestly, I like both ProChargers and TVSs, but I prefer ProChargers.

Name:  hoodstruts_zps1e41c399.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  163.3 KB
Old 05-25-2014, 09:23 AM
sorenjs3

Ive got my heart pretty set on stage 2 procharger kit. From all the reading ive done it defly seem like the right choice. Whose running these on stock engines. And how long?

Quick Reply: tvs vs centri