Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2014 5.0 doesn't feel much faster than my old 2005 4.6???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
the 5.0 is a Modular engine.
Yup, technically it is but Ford dropped the Modular family name for the Coyote and Roadrunner 5.0L engines. I think P51C was referring specifically to the 4.6L Modular engine, though the Cobra 4V-based 5.0L Cammer was also a Modular.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Dino - I understand the idea of hanging onto an early S197 completely. I like the fact that my '08 is lighter on "features" and in-car technology, and not nearly as burdened with nannies.

Last time I built an engine (SBC), it got aluminum heads, pistons, file-fit rings, an aftermarket multiport EFI system, machine shop work on the block including balancing . . . plus a few other things don't offhand remember. And a (new) Tremec TR3550 to go behind it.

A straight Coyote swap is probably a more realistic option for early-year owners looking for significantly more normally-aspirated HP, and I wouldn't put that off the table if I ever have to dig into this engine. The bigger trick here perhaps being in getting a MT82 that works the way it's supposed to, every time. Wouldn't be the first swap I've done.

Norm
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Absolutely the best idea for early S197s is find the nearest wrecked F150, yank the way cheaper motor out of that and slap your 5 speed Tremec or a T56 Mag, or even the MT82 with and MGW shifter behind it. Slightly lower compression and cam timing are present but, at least one of those is easily fixed or, boost will take up the slack. It's sad no one has quite got to developing a stand-alone controller for the magnificent 6R80 yet.

I did 11s all stock with just the Procal tune and a sticky tire on my old 2012 BBP...through the factory paper filter, etc. Headers/exhaust were not needed.

Last edited by P51C; 08-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

F150's used an aluminum block? Iron is a deal-breaker.

Norm
Old 08-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
Absolutely the best idea for early S197s is find the nearest wrecked F150, yank the way cheaper motor out of that
Yeah, very funny!
I say go for a 298 stroker short block with a forged bottom end, have your heads CNC ported, add your choice of blower cams, bolt on your favorite blower, slap a T56 Magnum XL behind it, and plaster a great big grin on your face as Coyote 5.0 owners' jaws drop.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:16 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I'm afraid to ask what all that work would cost. As I said earlier, you can build a badass 4.6 Mod motor if you want but, it's gonna cost you.

I all depends on your goals. You can take the 4.6 where you want to go, if you want to. It's got a good basic block that's really strong, if you're junking everything in it for a max effort build.

Looking for a cost-effective, used motor way to get something much improved, the Coyote swap is a good choice. The F150 Coyote is mostly identical to the Mustang one, with only 10:1 pistons instead of 11 and a different intake cam.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Looking for a cost-effective, used motor way to get something much improved, the Coyote swap is a good choice. The F150 Coyote is mostly identical to the Mustang one, with only 10:1 pistons instead of 11 and a different intake cam.
Not a bad idea but you'd still need the wiring harness and the ECU to finish the swap off, plus some other smaller details like relocating the AC compressor and either a custom PS pump bracket or conversion to EPAS. After all that, it would still have powdered metal rods & hypereutectic pistons which would limit how much boost you could add later.
Swapping in the aforementioned 298ci 3V forged short block would be more cost effective as a starting point. You could choose 10.5:1 compression if you want to keep it N/A or 9.5:1 if it's to be boosted, and bolt on the other stuff later as your budget allows.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:01 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that's true, there are complications to the coyote swap but it's fairly well charted territory now.

That 298 shortblock ain't gonna do much if you stack those stock 3V heads on there. Might actually run worse, as those things are weak on flow for 281 ci. The bits and bobs approach could be frustrating but, it is a way to gently work into a full build, if you don't mind taking the motor apart multiple times.

....holy ****, out of curiosity, I just looked up that 298 short block from JDM...it's 6500 bucks! That's more than the already outrageous Aluminator 5.0 was. You're gonna need to do this in fits and starts at that price. You'll probably have 10K in that motor easy with CNC heads and a cam package, before you put a blower on it.

I guess if you have the ability to do the build yourself and a machine shop locally that can handle the work on the mod block you could cut that cost down alot but, you did say 298 short block....
Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

the problem with the 4.6 3V is the exhaust ports. there's very little valve angle between the intake and exhaust valves, so while the intake ports have a "straight shot" into the chamber, the exhaust port has to bend around after the valve. The 5.0 has more included angle between intake and exhaust so exhaust port flow is greatly improved.

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Yup, technically it is but Ford dropped the Modular family name for the Coyote and Roadrunner 5.0L engines. I think P51C was referring specifically to the 4.6L Modular engine, though the Cobra 4V-based 5.0L Cammer was also a Modular.
it's no longer used for branding/marketing purposes, but internally it's still referred to as "MOD 5.0L-4V DOHC SEFI NA"
Old 08-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

That 298 short block ain't gonna do much if you stack those stock 3V heads on there. Might actually run worse, as those things are weak on flow for 281 ci. The bits and bobs approach could be frustrating but, it is a way to gently work into a full build, if you don't mind taking the motor apart multiple times.
The stock 3V heads flow pretty well and come close to the 4.6 4V Cobra/Mach 1 heads, but the Coyote 5.0 heads are something else altogether. The biggest choke point on the 4.6 3V are the stock cams so they'd definitely have to go. The best stroker option might be:

1. Rebuild the existing 4.6 engine with a forged 298ci (or 302) stroker kit and upgrade to a billet oil pump.
2. Have the stock heads CNC ported with 3-angle valve grind and upgraded valve springs/retainers.
3. Add performance cams.

You'll probably have 10K in that motor easy with CNC heads and a cam package, before you put a blower on it.
That's true but the above option should save a fair chunk from that.
Alternatively, you could just leave the stock 4.6 engine alone and slap a blower on it while setting yourself a 450rwhp limit.

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 doesn't feel much faster than my old 2005 4.6???