Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Is the rear seat-back frame a good amp ground?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
lowered99gt

Default Is the rear seat-back frame a good amp ground?

Ever since I let "Audio Excellence by Wes" in Daytona, install my system in my 99 Mustang, the bass sounded like crap. They decided to use the metal frame that the rear fold-down seat backs rest against, and drill a hole for the amp ground. I'm not even sure if this location has a solid connection to the chassis. After I replaced the head unit and noticed that they just twisted and electrical taped the wires together in the harness (Half of them pulled apart when I took the radio out) I figured they didn't know what they were doing.

I had the same equipment in my previous car (94 Camaro Z28) and it sounded PERFECT, with 8 gauge wire, versus the 4 gauge Knukonceptz wiring i'm using now.

Is this location a good ground, or should I find a bolt in the fender well to connect the ground to?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:39 PM
pottsi

Default RE: Is the rear seat-back frame a good amp ground?

The best way to check is use a multimeter, doen't have to be an expensive one, and check from the negative terminal of your batt to the amp gnd. To do that you'll need an extension wire for the meter to reach. Any wire long enough to reach will work, you can even use speaker wire. Then you'll need someone to help hold the connections or find some aligator clips. If you cann't find any wire, just use the meter to check from the amp gnd to the neaerest chasi bolt, seat belt bolts work good. Make sure you have bare metal for the meter leads or you wont get a good reading, also see if they removed to paint under the amp gnd if they didn't that can cause some resistance. Ideally you want to read less than 1 ohm but if it is up to 1.5 I wouldn't worry about it, if it is higher make sure your meter is making good contact with bare metal then try cleaning the gnd point, again make sure there is bare metal under the amp gnd. If it is really high then you probably will have to move the gnd to a better location.

One more thing before you start check that the meter reads 0 when the leads are touched together, if it is the old style with a needle gauge you have to zero the needle. If you don't have access to a meter sears sells very inexpensive little ones for I think about $10 that work just fine

Hope I didn't confuse you of make this to complicated.
It sucks when you pay someone to do that then they don't do it right[>:] You may want to check the other connections they did, make sure there not jerried like the radio was.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:00 PM
lowered99gt

Thanks for the reply pottsi. I basically redid every other connection just to make sure. I have since installed components, and reran speaker cables, etc... They had run the RCA's down the same side with the power, just to give you an idea how incompetent they are.

Too bad my multimeter just died on me. Or atleast it doesen't read anything when I try to measure the resistance. There has to be measurable resistance. I'll have to pick up another one.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:32 PM
pottsi

If you have an old style with the needle check the battery in the meter if that is dead it wont read resistance. Then try touching the leads to each other you should read 0 ohms.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
lowered99gt

No it's one of those dirt cheap yellow digital ones that reads a "1 ." until it gets a reading. It would measure voltage but not ohms. Not a big deal, I can pick up one for $8 at Harbor Freight.

I didn't mention it before but I am running two amps to one 4 gauge ground, using unfused power and ground distribution blocks. I am running a MTX Blue Thunder Pro 150x2 (425RMS @ 2 ohms) to the subs, and a Elemental Designs Nine.2 150 x 2 (400 x 1 @ 4 ohms) to the fronts.

Would I need a better ground than the seat frame for that kind of current draw?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt use the seat bracket.you might want to use seprate grounds and tape on the wires is never good i would take it back and get them to fix it.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:24 PM
pottsi

If there is no fuse in your system get one in there pronto! Should be within a foot of the batt terminal. If something happens to your power wire it will be a direct short that will litteraly cook your batt and possibly start a fire[:@]

Those guys that did your system need to be bitchslapped[sm=icon_beat.gif]
Old 03-27-2006, 04:34 PM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

I don't think the seat bracket is a good idea that moves go to the side near the fender and make a new hole and get a good screw in there or take it back to them you pay for the installation

also the camaro was hatchback youget better sound is the mustang a hatchback ?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:23 PM
lowered99gt

1fastzook,
I already redid the head unit wiring. Right now I'm going 4 gauge into the ground/power blocks, and 8 gauge to the amps. I don't think the amps will accept a direct 4 gauge.

pottsi,
I do have an 150 amp ANL fuse at the battery. I just meant neither of my distro blocks are fused.

SUPRA88,
The 99 Mustangs are not hatchback, they have a trunk. I will try relocating the main 4 gauge ground to the fenderwell. I know they say the ground shouldnt be more than 12 inches, but it's about 2-3ft to the fenderwell.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:48 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

With the same equiptment your camaro will always be louder.

Quick Reply: Is the rear seat-back frame a good amp ground?