Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

second battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: second battery

you should really look into getting an overdrive pulley for your alternator. I got mine on and the voltage only drops .5 volt wile idling. if you want to look around the size pulley you will need to make up for a 25% crank reduction is 1-7/8".
Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
ninetysixyenko
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

didn't figure the last part was right, and the owner of electronics warehouse where i'm at. but i've heard quite a few times a alt makes most amps and volts at 2500 rpm.

the HO alt for my 96 was 480.. lol, was a 240A alt.
It will make its rated output in current at that standard rpm and the designer's specified voltage..

I think we need to provide you some clarification....

Voltage and Current Work inversely. They arerelated toPower using the equation P =VI. Pis power,V is voltage, and I iscurrent.If your car draws a constant amount of power you can still see fluctuating voltages becuase of the current output changes from RPM in the alt. The voltage an alt puts out is related, but independant of the current production of the alt. Avoltage regulator regulates the voltage to a certain level that is above the 12.5V Nominalcharge of the battery. In order to charge the battery you must have a voltage differential so that currrent can travel into the battery. Anywhere below the nominal charge of the battery and you are draining the battery.

thats pretty much what he said, but he said RPMs also make it vary.. and the guy seems to very smart, and he's obviously making dough, he's got his own gallardo as his show car, and the store's show car is a Civic SI. so the store didn't buy the gallardo for him.

and im not stupid, i know all those equations. and what not. i know they vary inversely. i'm just saying what the guy told me, and i also included i didn't really know what to think about the last part. didn't seem right, but again, the guy's very knowledgable. ive gone through 3 electronics classes, Physics, AP Physics, and go to BOCES for house wiring
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

overdrive pulley, that sounds funny... I know that if I were to put the stock pulley back on(which is in my garage) that I would not have any voltage dips at idle, and could loose a hp or two. But again I am not concerned about voltage dips at idle, or at all over 1k rpms as I am not sitting at the light with the stereo cranked advertising that I have a custom stereo. I know that if I need to turn it up to hear mine over the stereo next to me that resting my foot on the gas will keep me over 13V, and the stereo will have no problems keeping up with 90% of the custom stereos out there, maybe 95%.

Lets not change the subj now as I know my pullies will not catch fire, I DON't know that about your small battery. Everything I have been told in school as well as in practice tell me that you have a fire hazard there. I don't care what your battery boy says until he can back it up.

ORIGINAL: blue stang

you should really look into getting an overdrive pulley for your alternator. I got mine on and the voltage only drops .5 volt wile idling. if you want to look around the size pulley you will need to make up for a 25% crank reduction is 1-7/8".
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

You will only loose like 1/10 HP.

I think this hole thread is funny because I have a tone of veteran mechanics that worked on cars and rigs telling me in person that there is no problem wiring a second battery the way I have it. they just think its funny that I used such a small battery because it makes so little difference. that's why I'm removing it.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you seem to know so much about cars and electrical systems. I will assume you know the same amount of knowledge about motor tuning...

Dude, I'm done, stick a fork in me as I can't take this anymore. 15 yrs in the industry, a degree in electronics at the top of my class and I have a little punk brat that has done some research about a topic that a software eng wrote as well as "old school" mechanics tellin me I am wrongbut you haveno freekin proof. Do you happen to see anymore topics about this subj other then what you yer boy wrote? No, you have not and you need to understand that because it is on the internet does not mean its true. ANYONE CAN WRITE ANYTHING THEY WANT as you are proving and the biggest F'ups I have ever seen done to a car was by "old school mechanics" installing stereos. I do not know what more I can do to help to guide you since I can't reach through and smack you through the internet. I have been on here for some time now giving out knowledge that I spent a lotta time learning for free so at this point I will tell you that this is my last post onANY of your topics since you do not want to listen, I CAN'T FIX STUPID and you sir are really stupid. What else do I need to do? I communicate regularly with some of the top industry people and if you name the person that you want to chime in on this I will try and get that person to tell you how dumb you are.

if you can post some legitamate proof that is from somebody that is not sweeping the floor of a batter wharehouse or has done something more then "work on all my buddies cars" I will not only appologize but go out buy one and install it myself......

until then I wish you luck in your audio career and would love to hear about the fire and see the pics but I am not going to keep arguing over this stupid topic. This one goes well above what I have grown to see and expect from this forum.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

You will only loose like 1/10 HP.

I think this hole thread is funny because I have a tone of veteran mechanics that worked on cars and rigs telling me in person that there is no problem wiring a second battery the way I have it. they just think its funny that I used such a small battery because it makes so little difference. that's why I'm removing it.
Dude, seriously? How do you know how much HP he will lose? are youa virtual dynomometer? Just take the f'ing battery out and call it a day. Your voltage drops are common, if it didnt drop then I would be worried. Your alternator will not sustain damage until it exceeds a draw that is 120% more than its rated output, I guarantee that you arent anywhere near that with all of your lights on, AC on, Stereo blasting, and engine running. Take the **** out of your car and get on with life. You dont need a second battery. Upgrade your grounds like I said before and you will see a huge improvement as far as lights dimming and such. Just stop this thread already. And quit talking to mechanics, I know plenty of mechanics that cant explain how a battery works, let alone the theory of electricity. Take it from some one who knows their **** and quit being a moron and remove it. Congrats on trying to make things better in your car, but please, do it the right way.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

this folks is the 2nd runner up for the stupidest post of the forum(SPOF). Don't worry though I have faith in you to take over #1 as with already 45 replys over a short time span of 2 weeks means this one shows plenty of promise to become our favorite. What it lacks in time to cook it more then makes up for in stupidity.

thanks again.

ttocshiss
Old 04-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

I have never been more proud of You in my life.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

just guessing, but it would make a lot of sense to know all about alternators especially when they charge the product you make.

you make parts forfarm equipment so you should know how those parts react to weather, stress, and wear/tear.
You are a moron...

I work for an oil company, I guess I know everything about everything that runs on fossil fuel or uses a petroleum byproduct. That makes me an expert on everythng.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

^^^ haha...

my cousin works as a clerk for a CIA office. i guess that makes her an expert on the infrastructure of our nation and a consultant to the head of national security.... makes sense...

Quick Reply: second battery